What's a worse scenario?

knightni

Which would be the worst option of these?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Big League success vs. Farm success

• Dump salary, lose a bunch (bottom 5 in league) for 5 or 6 years, build up the minors.
    • Mediocre salary, mediocre record (around .500), mediocre minors.
    • Huge salary, pretty good team (always in the running), really lousy minors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
So our player development sucks, our drafting sucks and I am supposed to be excited that our future will become player development and drafting. OK, that makes sense.

We would theoretically be replacing the personnel responsible for the terrible development and drafting. I don't understand why you're trying to use this circular logic in order to prove that it's a stupid idea to rebuild.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Depends on your definition of successful, perhaps. In my opinion, we haven't been in recent years, and I am more than willing to try a different avenue. Besides, who do we even have on our roster that other teams want in order to do a white flag trade? Dunn and Danks?

You don't consider consistent slightly-above-.500 performances to be a success?!

The problem with a lot of the posters is that they measure the success of the team compared to how bad the team has been historically in their lifetimes. So a guy who is 60 thinks the recent Sox teams are successful because they're better than some of the dreadful teams they've seen since the '60s. We should be basing our success on how we finish compared to the rest of the league in that given year. So when we finish with 87 wins and second in the division, that isn't a successful season. It's a failure, but it's "better" than they might have finished in 1973. It's still a failure.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
We would theoretically be replacing the personnel responsible for the terrible development and drafting. I don't understand why you're trying to use this circular logic in order to prove that it's a stupid idea to rebuild.

So you want to fire an entire organization from top to bottom. Uh, ok.

My only comment is that building up the minors is easier said than done. For every Tampa Bay or Texas, there is a Pittsburgh or KC. (Don't tell me about KC's stacked system until they actually succeed in the majors).

You can easily try to plan for the future, but have those prospects not pan out, and then what?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
So tell me when that has been done?

It's f***ing sarcasm because that wasn't what I said. You replace some of the scouts both here and in foreign countries. They've already begun the overhaul of both the minor leagues and the draft. You continue to replace the people responsible for the underachieving aspects of the team.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
It's f***ing sarcasm because that wasn't what I said. You replace some of the scouts both here and in foreign countries. They've already begun the overhaul of both the minor leagues and the draft. You continue to replace the people responsible for the underachieving aspects of the team.

Dude you need to get out of the basement because you are freaking out waaaaaaaaayyy too much over a crappy baseball team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Dude you need to get out of the basement because you are freaking out waaaaaaaaayyy too much over a crappy baseball team.

I have an unfinished basement. And I certainly don't think I'm freaking out. I'm not even angry. The things I'm suggesting are very appropriate for a team with a history like the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
We have a WAY better chance of the talent on this team being successful than we do going into a White Flag situation. There is zero question there.

Absolutely. But, we can use one of our favorite phrases here...on paper. I thought this time would kick ass, and maybe they still will. But just about every part of the game needs to turn around right now. I won't stop watching the team even though I have been saying after almost every game that I've had it. I'm a fan, good team or bad. But, I'd rather see a team being built for the future playing .340 baseball than a $128 million team playing .340 baseball.

There's no way the team keeps playing like this. But what is scary is that it's going to take a 10 game winning streak to get back to .500! How late in the season will it be too late to turn it around? If they're still 10 games below .500 in early June, is it time to ready the White Flag?

Absolutely. But, we can use one of our favorite phrases here...on paper. I thought this time would kick ass, and maybe they still will. But just about every part of the game needs to turn around right now. I won't stop watching the team even though I have been saying after almost every game that I've had it. I'm a fan, good team or bad. But, I'd rather see a team being built for the future playing .340 baseball than a $128 million team playing .340 baseball.

There's no way the team keeps playing like this. But what is scary is that it's going to take a 10 game winning streak to get back to .500! How late in the season will it be too late to turn it around? If they're still 10 games below .500 in early June, is it time to ready the White Flag?

The bolded part of this quote is significant. On paper, this team SHOULD kick ass. And yet, EVERY part of the game needs to be turned around. Both true statements.

You have proven talent at nearly every position, a very good rotation, and what should be a decent (not great) bullpen. This team should be scoring runs in double digits almost every night.

When an entire TEAM is failing from both sides of the plate, at the same time, it is not a roster problem. It's not a minors system problem.

If the roster isn't playing like a team, and it doesn't play with inspiration, and it takes weeks to work out issues, and issues are so systemic that EVERYONE is affected at the same time.... how is blowing s*** up going to matter? Even if we had a great farm system, you're talking about putting all that promise in the hands of the same ineptitude that's been running things since 04.

Seems to me if you're looking for the the worst scenario, there should be a 4th option which reads - "Any of the above with the same mgmt/coaching staff".