Make the Case for Ozzie

shago

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me sum this thread up for everyone that hasn't read through it: Rabble Rabble this team isn't playing hard (but I can't prove it) rabble rabble.

Question for the people that want Ozzie Fired: If he's the reason they're losing then why didn't they win the two games he was suspended? And further, what do you want him to do to make this team better?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
Let me sum this thread up for everyone that hasn't read through it: Rabble Rabble this team isn't playing hard (but I can't prove it) rabble rabble.

Question for the people that want Ozzie Fired: If he's the reason they're losing then why didn't they win the two games he was suspended? And further, what do you want him to do to make this team better?

Let me sum up every post you've made for the last month: Anybody who is worried about this team is wrong. Open your eyes, man. A month is a long time.

They didn't win because the guy who took his spot for those two games is just Ozzie Lite. Joey Cora is Ozzie Guillen if he didn't talk as much.

What Ozzie can do to make this team better is to get himself fired.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)

How about stress fundamentals, and then bench players who aren't showing solid fundamentals (ie: Rios and Pierzynski). I can't remember the last time Ozzie benched someone for lackidasical play. These guys have never seen someone held accountable, so there's no pressure on them to shape up.

As for making team better, it would be nice if Ozzie had an idea about how to use his players. Not letting Dunn face the sinker ball with bases loaded for the struggling Rios was just weak.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
There isn't a guy 25% better available right now.

You don't know that. You don't know if there's someone out there, like Cito Gaston, that will stress a different type of offensive philosophy and approach that will get this offense going again. No one knows how the team will perform with manager X, Y or Z...but the current manager's way of doing things is not working right now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)

I don't think Ozzie's in-game moves are the reason we are this terrible...and I don't think the majority of the people arguing for his dismissal really believe that either.

It's a case of the general attitude and preparation of the team. As Hawk always says, "If there are no dominant personalities on a team, the team will take on the personality of its manager."

Well, apparently that is not working out so well. And Ozzie being suspended for two games is not going to change that. Ozzie being permanently dismissed may.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
You are correct, it is impossible to know if someone would be 25% better. So, I would rather ride it out with Ozzie than gamble on someone else. Hell, it could be worse.

No, it really could not be worse.

I don't want to hire some old retread though. We need some new blood. Let's call up Dave Martinez.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
No, it really could not be worse.

I don't want to hire some old retread though. We need some new blood. Let's call up Dave Martinez.

I couldn't agree more with you on this whole post. This organization needs new blood.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Let me sum up every post you've made for the last month: Anybody who is worried about this team is wrong. Open your eyes, man. A month is a long time.

Look, yeah they're playing bad. But I just don't think this team will be bad all year. Further, I don't think the Indians are for real at all. Do you think the Twins are going to finish in last? Of course not. Do you really think Kansas City is a second place team?

A correction is coming. I'm able to wait patiently because I know it's a damn baseball season. I WANT them to play better, yeah. But it's a bad stretch. The series with the Twins coming up will be interesting for sure.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
How about stress fundamentals, and then bench players who aren't showing solid fundamentals (ie: Rios and Pierzynski). I can't remember the last time Ozzie benched someone for lackidasical play. These guys have never seen someone held accountable, so there's no pressure on them to shape up.

As for making team better, it would be nice if Ozzie had an idea about how to use his players. Not letting Dunn face the sinker ball with bases loaded for the struggling Rios was just weak.

I want a real hardass manager. The kind of guy who will enforce the way he wants things done. Somebody who will bench even a veteran and, say, sit Konerko the day after he doesn't hustle down the line on a groundout as he never does, etc.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Look, yeah they're playing bad. But I just don't think this team will be bad all year. Further, I don't think the Indians are for real at all. Do you think the Twins are going to finish in last? Of course not. Do you really think Kansas City is a second place team?

A correction is coming. I'm able to wait patiently because I know it's a damn baseball season. I WANT them to play better, yeah. But it's a bad stretch. The series with the Twins coming up will be interesting for sure.

OK, first of all, you're dismissing the Tigers. You didn't even mention them. I made a post about this earlier today. People keep writing them right off.

Secondly, how much patience are we supposed to have? The Sox now have to play .600 baseball for the rest of the season to reach 90 wins. Do you seriously think they have that in them? I don't. A week or two of more bad play, and they'll have to play .600 ball just to reach 85 wins.

There is no time for patience at all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
OK, first of all, you're dismissing the Tigers. You didn't even mention them. I made a post about this earlier today. People keep writing them right off.

Secondly, how much patience are we supposed to have? The Sox now have to play .600 baseball for the rest of the season to reach 90 wins. Do you seriously think they have that in them? I don't. A week or two of more bad play, and they'll have to play .600 ball just to reach 85 wins.

There is no time for patience at all.

The Tigers are a personal thing for me, as I didn't think they were that good to start the season and I still don't. Nor did I think it would take 90 wins to win this division...and I still don't.

The Indians just cannot keep this up. I mean I know I can't really prove why they won't, but their pitching isn't that good and there is no way the guys who are always injured (Sizemore, Hafner) will stay healthy all year. The Indians have now won 13 straight at home. That correction will be very, very fun. Hopefully we catch them when it's happening.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
The Tigers are a personal thing for me, as I didn't think they were that good to start the season and I still don't. Nor did I think it would take 90 wins to win this division...and I still don't.

The Indians just cannot keep this up. I mean I know I can't really prove why they won't, but their pitching isn't that good and there is no way the guys who are always injured (Sizemore, Hafner) will stay healthy all year. The Indians have now won 13 straight at home. That correction will be very, very fun. Hopefully we catch them when it's happening.

Indians have some decent starting pitching depth though, with White coming up and Huff pitching in the minors. The most obnoxious part of the Indians surge is that OC is their "leader".

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Indians have some decent starting pitching depth though, with White coming up and Huff pitching in the minors. The most obnoxious part of the Indians surge is that OC is their "leader".

Yeah, I can't stand that piece of crap. I know White is pobably the real deal, but I have never been a Masterson fan. I do kind of like the Tribe's pen. Then again I'm a huge sucker for big tall dudes that throw really damn hard.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)

How many wins do you think it will take? Like I just said, another few losses and we'll find ourselves having to win at a .600 clip just to get to 85 wins.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
How many wins do you think it will take? Like I just said, another few losses and we'll find ourselves having to win at a .600 clip just to get to 85 wins.

Right now the AL Central is playing some of the worst ball in MLB, and the only teams playing good ball finished at the bottom of the league last year.

One of these teams is going to start fattening up on the rest of the division.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)

I think around 85, actually. A statistical correction will be coming in their favor. I don't really think it's out of the realm of possibility for them to play .600 baseball for a month stretch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Right now the AL Central is playing some of the worst ball in MLB, and the only teams playing good ball finished at the bottom of the league last year.

One of these teams is going to start fattening up on the rest of the division.

Traditionally, that wouldn't be us.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
I think around 85, actually. A statistical correction will be coming in their favor. I don't really think it's out of the realm of possibility for them to play .600 baseball for a month stretch.

They will have to play .600 baseball for more than just a month. And let's not forget that this team almost always struggles down the stretch. So to make up for the bad August and/or September, they're probably going to have to play better than .600 ball.