Gordon Beckham

JohnCangelosi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
I love the "anyone who wants Walker fired is an idiot because hitting coaches don't do a damned thing" defense.

It's flawless :lolhitting

I never got all of the defending he gets from a lot of posters. It seems that most agree that a hitting coach does basically nothing. So what would it hurt to fire any of them? At best, it can light a fire under a team that is underachieving.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)

I never got all of the defending he gets from a lot of posters. It seems that most agree that a hitting coach does basically nothing. So what would it hurt to fire any of them? At best, it can light a fire under a team that is underachieving.

This has pretty much been my argument for 6 or 7 years now.

I love the "anyone who wants Walker fired is an idiot because hitting coaches don't do a damned thing" defense.

Hitting coaches don't do a damned thing and are always the scapegoats when there is very little they can do. That being said, I want to see Walker fired this week. Just to send a mesage to this team that you guys suck and someone needs to start hitting.

I wouldn't mind getting paid $100k to do nothing whatsoever.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Hitting coaches don't do a damned thing and are always the scapegoats when there is very little they can do. That being said, I want to see Walker fired this week. Just to send a mesage to this team that you guys suck and someone needs to start hitting.

And I guarantee every single hitting coach knew this in advance and understands it.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
I don't think that the entire league has "figured out" Gordo or found a way to exploit his approach. If you think the league has found something please point it out because I haven't seen anything special they are doing against him. He's getting started way too late and fouling off every good pitch to the right, just a hair late every time. Walker needs to be held accountable for the prolonged slumps of our hitters and figure out a way to get them right again much, much quicker. And it's not only April when we don't hit, it's also September as well let's not forget under Walk and I've had enough of it.

You haven't noticed his weakness for the high heater?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)

Makes sense to me. Unfair or whatever, I don't care and am all for it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)

Because firing someone to "fire people up" is the second stupidest thing behind "fire the hitting coach."

Point being, if it worked they guys would get fired all the time and managers would get fired as much as NHL coaches. They don't. Have you ever worked somewhere where your boss was fired? It sure as s*** didn't make me work harder because I analyze statements and because well I was already doing my best before. It makes for a more tense situation at work and made me dread going to work for a time.

But I liked my boss so there's that.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 2, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Because firing someone to "fire people up" is the second stupidest thing behind "fire the hitting coach."

Point being, if it worked they guys would get fired all the time and managers would get fired as much as NHL coaches. They don't. Have you ever worked somewhere where your boss was fired? It sure as s*** didn't make me work harder because I analyze statements and because well I was already doing my best before. It makes for a more tense situation at work and made me dread going to work for a time.

Is it stupider than using the word "stupider"? I was always taught that that wasn't a word, but now it has been accepted into the English language. Off topic, yes.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 2, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)

So then I ask you what is dumber, firing your hitting coach to hopefully get this team started or paying somebody to do absolutely nothing? By your argument, Walker has no effect on our hitters. Why do we pay him then?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Is it stupider than using the word "stupider"? I was always taught that that wasn't a word, but now it has been accepted into the English language. Off topic, yes.

I thought I might get dinged for that word. I tend to agree with ya anyways.

Bah it's Monday and I need a drink.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 2, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
So then I ask you what is dumber, firing your hitting coach to hopefully get this team started or paying somebody to do absolutely nothing? By your argument, Walker has no effect on our hitters. Why do we pay him then?

I guess? My argument is more to the point of it's useless to make 17 threads about why he sucks and waste bandwidth over the situation when if it REALLLYYY doesn't matter in the scheme of things, why bother b****ing about it? Further, Greg freakin Walker isn't the reason why this team is losing games.

I guess I'm tired of every slump it's the same rehashed arguments, like people never learned anything the first six times around. They come out of the slump and hit. Then when the team starts hitting the loudest fire Greg Walker people are the LAST people to give him credit. If you want to rip him when they don't hit, praise him for when they are.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 2, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I guess? My argument is more to the point of it's useless to make 17 threads about why he sucks and waste bandwidth over the situation when if it REALLLYYY doesn't matter in the scheme of things, why bother b****ing about it? Further, Greg freakin Walker isn't the reason why this team is losing games.

I guess I'm tired of every slump it's the same rehashed arguments, like people never learned anything the first six times around. They come out of the slump and hit. Then when the team starts hitting the loudest fire Greg Walker people are the LAST people to give him credit. If you want to rip him when they don't hit, praise him for when they are.

Well yes, they eventually come out of it. But the story is usually the same in the end, they wind up losing the division. The extended slumps are a major factor.

And I understand that you don't believe firing the hitting coach would make a difference, but some of us actually think it could help to light a fire under the individual players. You may disagree with that (I know you do), but it's a theory that many hold.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
Well yes, they eventually come out of it. But the story is usually the same in the end, they wind up losing the division. The extended slumps are a major factor.

And I understand that you don't believe firing the hitting coach would make a difference, but some of us actually think it could help to light a fire under the individual players. You may disagree with that (I know you do), but it's a theory that many hold.

Who do you think is going to win the division? I'm not trying to trap you or argue with you, I'm just interested in what other people think.

Personally, I still think it comes down to the Sox and Twins. Am I drunk?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 2, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
Who do you think is going to win the division? I'm not trying to trap you or argue with you, I'm just interested in what other people think.

Personally, I still think it comes down to the Sox and Twins. Am I drunk?

I'm leaning towards the Tigers at the moment. The Sox can win this division, but only because it's become the Comedy Central again. I know "anything can happen once you get to the playoffs", but this team would get embarrassed worse than they did in 2008.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I'm leaning towards the Tigers at the moment. The Sox can win this division, but only because it's become the Comedy Central again. I know "anything can happen once you get to the playoffs", but this team would get embarrassed worse than they did in 2008.

The AL has been really weird so far. I thought the Red Sox were the best team (still do). But I don't think it's crazy to think the White Sox could beat the Yankees or Rangers in a 5 or 7 game series.

Not the Red Sox though, That pitching is just too good.