"Mayday, Mayday" 5/1 Gamethread

clyons

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

General off-topic thought - Minnesota is terrible, and the least of our concerns this season. Their SP is bad, their offense isn't the same with a weak legged Mauer and sketchy Morneau, and their defense isn't what it used to be. I really don't see them being any better than a .500 team, with the great possibility of them being much worse.

Meanwhile, Gavin is serving up long balls. Note to Gavin - offspeed pitches above the belt do not usually have happy endings.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Liriano has actually been horrendous this year. He has an ERA over 9.

I wonder if Ozzie will play Dunn against him. I would have rather had Dunn sit vs Liriano and play against Britton, as the sinker ball is more in his wheelhouse than the Liriano slider.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 1, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
What was Penny's ERA when he shut us down.

Oh I'm not arguing that we are actually going to score off him. I'm just pointing out that he is not exactly padding any stats as much as trying to stay in their rotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I will say Hawk really hasn't blamed umpires for any losses this year, at least in the games I've watched.

true, he's not trying to whitewash it too bad. But his insistence that this team is going to wake up and have a huge turnaround is all propoganda, imo. Sure, they may play better but that doesn't mean they're going to be more than a .500 club. It might just be one of those years. Hell, we're just one injury to a major player away from going into a complete dive.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
true, he's not trying to whitewash it too bad. But his insistence that this team is going to wake up and have a huge turnaround is all propoganda, imo. Sure, they may play better but that doesn't mean they're going to be more than a .500 club. It might just be one of those years. Hell, we're just one injury to a major player away from going into a complete dive.

What the hell would you call what we're in now then?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
I wonder if Ozzie will play Dunn against him. I would have rather had Dunn sit vs Liriano and play against Britton, as the sinker ball is more in his wheelhouse than the Liriano slider.

Liriano doesn't have any control at all so far this season.

It's an absolute crapshoot trying to figure out match-ups on an individual game basis with the way things are going.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Rios and the rest of the Sox normal everyday outfield has been an embarrassment this year. Worst defensive outfield in baseball by a large margin.

I know they've been terrible, but do the stats actually show they've been the worst in MLB?