"Mayday, Mayday" 5/1 Gamethread

clyons

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
I mean really, if we don't average more than 15K the rest of the way.. is Reinsdorf going to be able to pay these guys' salaries? I ask in all seriousness, because I don't know how finances work that well in the MLB. Does he have some kind of massive bankroll, or are they dependent on things like jersey sales, concessions, and ticket sales?

That's what I was joking about regarding the MLB taking over the organization...:)

Yeah, they would trade guys to free up some money I would think. And I am sure JR is making cash hand over fist on the Bulls right now...but yeah, there will be some money lost if this continues...

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice outing by Bobby Jenks today, brings his ERA to 9.35 for the year. Glad I don't have to hear that idiotic argument anymore from coworkers about how we screwed ourselves by not bringing him back.

Loading up with his hands too much, not getting going quickly enough.

That's DJ's theory on Beckham's struggles.

Same problem with Rios, except that's even more exaggerated.

Wow, it's amazing. Another Beckham double. Once upon a time, we thought he would consistently lead the AL in this category.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
That's what I was joking about regarding the MLB taking over the organization...:)

Yeah, they would trade guys to free up some money I would think. And I am sure JR is making cash hand over fist on the Bulls right now...but yeah, there will be some money lost if this continues...

Just like last year...the "trading away people" clock starts on Memorial day.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

I know, but I'm just wondering if there is really a possibility. I do keep forgetting about the Bulls' success, but I imagine he has money set aside for both teams, and probably doesn't dip into one for the other? I could be wrong, I guess.

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
Nice outing by Bobby Jenks today, brings his ERA to 9.35 for the year. Glad I don't have to hear that idiotic argument anymore from coworkers about how we screwed ourselves by not bringing him back.

Imagine if we also had Jenks, Aaron Rowand/Fukudome/Hunter, Figgins, etc., on our roster.

The one move that we REALLY missed out on was Miggy Cabrera. As much as he's an ass, he's just about the best hitter in baseball.

Just didn't have the pieces the Tigers did, even though Maybin and Andrew Miller turned out to be busts.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
I know, but I'm just wondering if there is really a possibility. I do keep forgetting about the Bulls' success, but I imagine he has money set aside for both teams, and probably doesn't dip into one for the other? I could be wrong, I guess.

Remember, it's not just one person, it's an ownership group.

The Sox are in one of the best financial positions in MLB right now. Little to no debt, very few unmovable large contracts, and a constant rumor of insurance on their worst contract. The team probably turned ~$20 million in profit last year on top of that, and has been profitable pretty much every year for the last decade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Remember, it's not just one person, it's an ownership group.

The Sox are in one of the best financial positions in MLB right now. Little to no debt, very few unmovable large contracts, and a constant rumor of insurance on their worst contract. The team probably turned ~$20 million in profit last year on top of that, and has been profitable pretty much every year for the last decade.

Good, so we don't have to worry about going the route of the Dodgers.

Thanks for the info, Balta :D

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
Imagine if we also had Jenks, Aaron Rowand/Fukudome/Hunter, Figgins, etc., on our roster.

The one move that we REALLY missed out on was Miggy Cabrera. As much as he's an ass, he's just about the best hitter in baseball.

Just didn't have the pieces the Tigers did, even though Maybin and Andrew Miller turned out to be busts.

Wasn't Danks part of that deal? Or was it Floyd?