We need to pack the The Cell Tuesday & Wednesday

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Ditto on the bolded. And I feel awful for season ticket holders. They can't give away tickets.

Speaking as a season ticket holder there are a lot worse ways to spend a day or night than at Sox Park even when they are bad. I buy season tickets not based on how many games I think their going to win, but whether or not they make every effort to win. JR does that even though I vehemently disagreed with their strategy this offseason.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
Neither does going to games. :lolhitting at you for thinking that the team will play better if their feelings weren't hurt by the fans not giving them unwavering support. Those poor widdle babies

There's a reason that teams play better at homes....it's motivating to the players. However, empty seats eliminate that advantage and if they accomplish anything, its de-motivating.

I have been to 7 home games this year.

I put my money where my mouth this.

This team sucks. It is f***ing terrible.

This is the same thing they did last year. Thus it needs to be addressed.

It cost them last year and looks to be happening again.

Nobody is held accountable for their their actions on this team.

At a minimum Morel should be at AAA and Pena should be released. Those are no brainers.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
There's a reason that teams play better at homes....it's motivating to the players. However, empty seats eliminate that advantage and if they accomplish anything, its de-motivating.

Well, pack your bags and get a flight. You can be fan #13,007 at Wednesday's game.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
Speaking as a season ticket holder there are a lot worse ways to spend a day or night than at Sox Park even when they are bad. I buy season tickets not based on how many games I think their going to win, but whether or not they make every effort to win. JR does that even though I vehemently disagreed with their strategy this offseason.

That is the key. I will gladly watch a s***ty team as long as I know they're following a strategy to improve going forward.

We have a lot of people questioning others' fandom on this site, but I wonder how serious of a fan someone is when they vehemently argue against ever attempting a rebuild. It's as though they only care about competing at that very moment and wouldn't follow the team during the rebuilding process.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Nobody is held accountable for their their actions on this team.

Nobody in the organization is held accountable since 2005. Hell, you have to be BROUGHT UP ON FEDERAL CHARGES to lose your job with this outfit.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
That is the key. I will gladly watch a s***ty team as long as I know they're following a strategy to improve going forward.

We have a lot of people questioning others' fandom on this site, but I wonder how serious of a fan someone is when they vehemently argue against ever attempting a rebuild. It's as though they only care about competing at that very moment and wouldn't follow the team during the rebuilding process.

If the Sox attempted a rebuild and looked like the Rays, Pirates, or Royals, I probably would watch very little White Sox baseball and very occasionally go to games. Does that make me a bad fan? I would follow their results every day on my phone or in the paper, but wouldn't actively watch most games.

If I am gonna spend my time & money, I would like to see a team that is competitive. Is that wrong? Are Pirates fans bad fans because they won't watch a team that hasn't competed for the playoffs in 20 years?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)

Right. I mean every team not named the Yankees or Red Sox has to rebuild at some point. There's nothing wrong with it. What if the front office spent $4M this offseason on the best available scouts instead of on one month of Manny Ramirez.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Anything less than 35,000 for these games would be embarrassing. Sox fans need to be true fans....not fair weather fans.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
To the fan base. To the organization. To the players. To everyone.

If you can't support our team except when they are winning at a 75% clip, Jerry might as well knock the payroll down to $25 million per season, average about 12,000 fans per game, and make a nice profit off TV revenues.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
These two teams will still be the ones battling for the division title come September and the games played at this point could make the difference. I realize that not everyone can afford to go to every game....but based upon the crowds thus far, there's a lot of people who haven't gone to any games (or just a few this year). If the fanbase is not going to support this team, why should the players give a damn? Anybody who wants this team to give a 110% effort every nite should also be willing to give that effort as a fan.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Seattle's not convenient for me....its still 250 miles away and I'm making the effort to be there. If I lived that close to Chicago, you bet I'd be at the Cell for this key series on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Sin City I like your enthusiasm, but with all due respect nobody should go to the Twins games unless they just love the baseball experience.

The team is a total disgrace, has played horrible baseball at home. Even bad bad teams generally can muster a .480 to .500 record at home.

This next road trip screams 3-6 at best, likely 2-7 and by that date the Sox truly will be out of it.

There's really no reason to go to the games unless you love the balpark food or the Cell experience. These rich ballplayers deserve nothing right now.

Now if Oz and KW get fired tonight, I'd change my tune a bit. It'd show Jerry is fed up and perhaps we truly could start over at 0-0.

What you are saying about supporting the team through thick and thin IMO is dumb because these are millionaries.

p.s. Poor Milkman has to be on the brink of a little vacation. No need to call sin city a "tool" and in the next thread stand by his word.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
If the Sox attempted a rebuild and looked like the Rays, Pirates, or Royals, I probably would watch very little White Sox baseball and very occasionally go to games. Does that make me a bad fan? I would follow their results every day on my phone or in the paper, but wouldn't actively watch most games.

If I am gonna spend my time & money, I would like to see a team that is competitive. Is that wrong? Are Pirates fans bad fans because they won't watch a team that hasn't competed for the playoffs in 20 years?

Well, yeah kind of.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 1, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Right. I mean every team not named the Yankees or Red Sox has to rebuild at some point. There's nothing wrong with it. What if the front office spent $4M this offseason on the best available scouts instead of on one month of Manny Ramirez.

Right.

I've paid to watch high school, college, minor, independent league, and major league baseball. I've sat in the stands and watch little league games. I've been to major league games without the Sox playing. Baseball is a great sport and I enjoy going to the games. Even with a couple crappy teams playing, exciting plays happen. There should be room for fans like me and room for fans that will only buy a ticket when then can expect their team to win. If you are going to have a bad time at the ball park, why go? If you only have fun when your team is winning, than it would be silly for you to buy a ticket when they are not winning. Besides, I think it adds to the fun when a team starts winning and fans suddenly start coming out to the games.

we suck! in fact for the first time ever- i truly believe they won't get back in this thing. Yea the offense may wake up- but we still dont have a closer, the defense in the outfield is a mess (except cf) and we have a manager that doesn't seem to know how to manage a team anymore. :( damn it! And its only May 1st!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
we suck! in fact for the first time ever- i truly believe they won't get back in this thing. Yea the offense may wake up- but we still dont have a closer, the defense in the outfield is a mess (except cf) and we have a manager that doesn't seem to know how to manage a team anymore. :( damn it! And its only May 1st!

:unsure: have you been watching Rios this year?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Naw kid you suck at baseball. The last thing I want to do is watch you wiff.

hey dad, tell me again about the days when Chicago had two teams . . .

I don't have a problem with anyone still going to games or maintaining optimism about this team.

What I do have a problem with is others trying to dictate what a "true fan" is and trying to de-legitimize any opposing opinions. This goes both ways and isn't directed at you.

We have baseball fans here, we have Sox fans here, and we have Sox supporters here. There should be room for all, and all believe the way they enjoy the game is the best. I get to a game and I relax and enjoy the show. From little league to mlb, it's all good to me. Some people like to get mad, throw things at the scream, boo the players, etc. That seems silly to me, but have at it. Others stay away until the team is winning, but follow the team in newspapers and watch on TV, others will forget about the team until they start winning, then jump on the bandwagon, still other will support the team financially by buying tickets no matter what.

It's all good in my book.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
I figured the "isn't directed at you" part would've cleared that up

Well damn, my sincere apologies, it was me who didn't read this clearly enough.

I'm not sure why anyone can assume the Twins will be in it at the end of the year. They let their bullpen go to FA, Mauer has aids (or whatever disease that made him lose all that weight and not hit), Morneau hasn't seemed to fully recover. This year is the first in awhile that they couldn't plug in some no name jerk off that suddenly becomes a star.

My argument (in my circle) to every Cub fan I know is that I've never hated the Cubs, I hate that their fans allow themselves to be exploited by inept management, follow their team like sheep and have no backbone to say "enough is enough, field a competitive team or I'm not going to pay to see the garbage you throw on the field". With that being said, if I continue to show up after JR has proven that his friendship with Ozzie and KW are more important than the good of the team, then I'm no better than the people I despise.

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 2, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm not sure why anyone can assume the Twins will be in it at the end of the year. They let their bullpen go to FA, Mauer has aids (or whatever disease that made him lose all that weight and not hit), Morneau hasn't seemed to fully recover. This year is the first in awhile that they couldn't plug in some no name jerk off that suddenly becomes a star.

My argument (in my circle) to every Cub fan I know is that I've never hated the Cubs, I hate that their fans allow themselves to be exploited by inept management, follow their team like sheep and have no backbone to say "enough is enough, field a competitive team or I'm not going to pay to see the garbage you throw on the field". With that being said, if I continue to show up after JR has proven that his friendship with Ozzie and KW are more important than the good of the team, then I'm no better than the people I despise.

Totally inappropriate but that made me laugh out loud.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
These two teams will still be the ones battling for the division title come September and the games played at this point could make the difference. I realize that not everyone can afford to go to every game....but based upon the crowds thus far, there's a lot of people who haven't gone to any games (or just a few this year). If the fanbase is not going to support this team, why should the players give a damn? Anybody who wants this team to give a 110% effort every nite should also be willing to give that effort as a fan.

LOL. Dude, it's baseball. At no time should any of this be taken seriously, or personally. It's about entertainment and this team is not entertaining right now. Let's all just sit back and watch the best player in the NBA manhandle the Hawks tonight. That s*** is fun to watch. When the Bulls' season finally ends there is a good chance the Sox'll be back in it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Ditto on the bolded. And I feel awful for season ticket holders. They can't give away tickets.

Good problem to have, if you ask me.. I prefer when the White Sox win, but I also get to watch some really good baseball teams when they come to town, and every now and then, The White Sox look like one of those teams too.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball