We need to pack the The Cell Tuesday & Wednesday

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 2, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm not sure why anyone can assume the Twins will be in it at the end of the year. They let their bullpen go to FA, Mauer has aids (or whatever disease that made him lose all that weight and not hit), Morneau hasn't seemed to fully recover. This year is the first in awhile that they couldn't plug in some no name jerk off that suddenly becomes a star.

My argument (in my circle) to every Cub fan I know is that I've never hated the Cubs, I hate that their fans allow themselves to be exploited by inept management, follow their team like sheep and have no backbone to say "enough is enough, field a competitive team or I'm not going to pay to see the garbage you throw on the field". With that being said, if I continue to show up after JR has proven that his friendship with Ozzie and KW are more important than the good of the team, then I'm no better than the people I despise.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-88371276646969_2155_37718325

(saw that joke on the Norm McDonald Sports Show...I laughed a lot)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
After making a fuss about fans not having to show up for this series, I will be attending tonight because I was given really good, free tickets. The upside of having a bad team is that people give up their tickets a lot.

Sucks to be the guy who gave up his tickets to you.

If only we had more people there, we may have had a hit!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

Yeah, I'm actually happy that I got to see a no hitter in person. I don't believe many people get to say that.

I blame this loss squarely on the fans. As you said, the team would have put in a much greater effort had they heard more cheers.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

Laugh all you want...but when this team saw a crowd of only 20,000 there tonight, it had to be demotivating. If the fans aren't going to come out for a key game against a top divisional rival, why even try? Crowds like this insure that we will not contend this year.

I don't buy, at all, that fans at a baseball game pump Paul Konerko up to sock more dingers than he would if no one was there.. they are professionals, this isn't college sports.. most of them prolly block out the fans as it is

QUOTE (T R U @ May 4, 2011 -> 02:27 AM)
I don't buy, at all, that fans at a baseball game pump Paul Konerko up to sock more dingers than he would if no one was there.. they are professionals, this isn't college sports.. most of them prolly block out the fans as it is

If this were true home/road splits wouldn't be quite as pronounced.

Sure, part of it is familiarity, but not all of it. Not a chance.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 4, 2011 -> 02:14 AM)
Laugh all you want...but when this team saw a crowd of only 20,000 there tonight, it had to be demotivating. If the fans aren't going to come out for a key game against a top divisional rival, why even try? Crowds like this insure that we will not contend this year.

As much as I just tried to counter T R U.....the Rays sure seems to be OK at home the past few seasons.

The answer is somewhere in between the argument. Playing at home provides an inherent comfortability the road doesn't have. This comfortability is also totally unreliant on attendance.

Being cheered excessively is almost as bad as being jeered excessively deepening on the receptor. In either instance, the pressure is on.

Remember a little ballclub called the 1997 and 2003 Florida Marlins?

They didn't need phenomenal fan support to succeed, did they?

Even the 2005 White Sox didn't come close to "overwhelming" home field advantage where the park was parked night after night...I don't have the attendance numbers for August and September, after the kids went back to school that year, but it's not like they were playing in front of packed stadiums against the likes of the Royals.

Edited by caulfield12

I am laughing, your logic is terrible. Maybe had you made the trip in, they would have played harder.

Also, your definition of a "key game against a top division rival" means a 4th place vs 5th place game? And they should try because they are being paid millions, and it's their job to perform, regardless of how many people show up. Anyway, why should the fans come out?

Then how have the Indians won 13 in a row at home??? On this winning streak, they have had one crowd of 26k, while every other game had less than 17k, and 5 games of under 10k. Their fans obviously don't give a s***, yet they can't lose at home. They had 3 games against the 2nd place team last week, and all of them were under 10k. They still were motivated enough to sweep them.

Haha. Aw...cute

Also known as the two worst teams in baseball?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I don't think you can say that anymore about the Twins after they came and left town with us left in their dust (yet again).

to be fair, I didn't say what the order was of who's worse. people in my own home look at me with pity, this includes, but is not limited to, my 3 year old daughter.

Edited by Tuna

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I don't think you can say that anymore about the Twins after they came and left town with us left in their dust (yet again).

Have you been watching? Right now they still look like the 2nd worst team in baseball. The White Sox are just sucking that much worse.