Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Before the official announcement las tonight I put this on facebook: "It only took 9.5 years..."

To that a friend replied: "only took obama 2" (referencing Bush's inability to get Bin Laden)

Another friend replied: "The president has VERY little to do with the actual success of any tactical operation gents."

I'm thinking he might want to retract that now knowing that Obama gave the direct orders to go.

A "go" based on intelligence that's been gathered by the *gasp* GITMO detainees 4-5 years ago.

And not directed at you, but I loved reading through this thread to find that people were asking that this not turn political, until someone did, by guessing that the GOP would find a way to not give Obama credit for this. Stay classy guys.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Before the official announcement las tonight I put this on facebook: "It only took 9.5 years..."

To that a friend replied: "only took obama 2" (referencing Bush's inability to get Bin Laden)

Another friend replied: "The president has VERY little to do with the actual success of any tactical operation gents."

I'm thinking he might want to retract that now knowing that Obama gave the direct orders to go.

Bah, aside from the fact that Obama's debate opponent said he wouldn't go into Pakistan to get him, I don't think your 2nd commenter is wrong. The President didn't gather the intelligence, do the training, etc., he was presented with a decision which was risky but which was obvious.

There might be credit that can be given, in the sense of reorganizing the intelligence operation and giving them explicit directives to go get UBL which might not have existed before this team came into office, but that's a lot of mights.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
A "go" based on intelligence that's been gathered by the *gasp* GITMO detainees 4-5 years ago.

And not directed at you, but I loved reading through this thread to find that people were asking that this not turn political, until someone did, by guessing that the GOP would find a way to not give Obama credit for this. Stay classy guys.

To their credit, I have seen many quotes by many of the people looking to run in 2012. They have all been extremely complimentary.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Thats how I feel. My facebook feed is littered with people I know would claim to be Christian cheering his death/telling him to enjoy hell. It's wrong, no matter what he did.

http://biblearchive.com/blog/2011/human/sh...-of-the-wicked/

There are differing thoughts on this.

Personally, you can appreciate that your enemy is gone for your own safety, just don't celebrate. This is just a call to idiots who want to use his death as a martyr cause.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...s-corpse-1.html

Anyone else think this is a mistake if they don't release these photos? Do we really want to leave any doubt about this? I think that's a little more important than offending someone with a graphic image.

Also, huge props to the US military, the administration, and everyone else involved. A sweet day for the USoA.

I think it would be a mistake to release them (at least officially; maybe we should wait an appropriate time and leak them).

All it would possibly accomplish is to (maybe) placate hardline doubters who are unlikely to believe anyway. There are people who still doubt the moon landings despite all of that evidence.

On the other hand, releasing them might fan the flames of his martyrdom, as well as offend more moderate elements within the Islamic world, who I think are very touchy about their death rituals.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:00 AM)
With all due respect, WTF???????

He was responsible for 9-f***ing-11!!!!!

Are you 2 nuts?????

Please reconsider your position. That mother f***er is responsible for so

much HELL in America. Deaths. 9-11!!! WE SHOULD f***ING CELEBRATE

LIKE ITS A WS TITLE!!!!!

Gosh I am disappointed in you 2.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
Great line. When you said evil terrorists I thought of the Austin Powers movies.

I'm just so disappointed in those two I don't know what to say.

My god. Think of those of you that had relatives die in 9-11.

This motherf***er that we killed was responsible for what, 3000 or more

deaths?

And we kill him and you are upset because we are f***ing celebrating??

I don't get it sometimes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:14 AM)
At least you said it's very important.

But yes I think it's OK and good everybody is celebrating this.

Like a WS title I don't condone burning cars or destroying property, but

celebrating like it's a WS title??? f*** yes!

This Bin Laden mother f***er is responsible for HELL ON EARTH.

Families destroyed; our way of life changed forever.

Burn in hell Bin Laden and celebrate all you want, USA!!!

That's how I feel, sorry.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:23 AM)
I'm not out celebrating but I did feel good when I saw the celebrations on TV.

And your 2 posts flipped me out.

Sorry if I offended. But I have personal feelings about this matter because

yes, I know somebody who died on 9-11 and yes she is one who elected to jump out of the

building rather than burn in the building. It's so horrific to think that some people had

to decide whether they wanted to burn to death or jump and die on their own terms,

and that mother f***er was responsible for this and that family will never be the same.

So yes I want to celebrate this big time and I can understand why many hit

the streets to celebrate this.

I understand your position, but like someone said earlier, how many of those kids on college campuses were actually out celebrating purposefully? I saw a lot of pictures from different areas of the US, and I didn't see a single picture (now, of course, I didn't see EVERY single one) of a college students crying or praying. Instead, I saw pictures of people standing on cars and climbing lightposts and streetlights.

I'm not sure if its fortunate or unfortunate, but my school finished the semester this past Friday, so a lot of people were gone and there was no crazy outdoor celebration with fireworks.

I understanding the desire to celebrate. Ya, it's a big deal. But how much does it really change? Fireworks and parties aren't going to bring back any of the people that were lost at Bin Laden's hands.

Sure, celebrate all you want, but be mindful of the big picture and what you're portraying in your celebrations.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 2, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)
Plus, why wouldn't the USA have wanted people to know he was dead 10 years ago? If you can give people closure now or much later, which would you choose?

Lol you couldve at least read the headline to answer this.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
WOW! Apparently the US got all of the computers/hard drives in the compound. THat's a HUGE blow to Al Qaeda

They did say no internet coming into the compound, so it could have been NES emulations for all we know.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
I understand your position, but like someone said earlier, how many of those kids on college campuses were actually out celebrating purposefully? I saw a lot of pictures from different areas of the US, and I didn't see a single picture (now, of course, I didn't see EVERY single one) of a college students crying or praying. Instead, I saw pictures of people standing on cars and climbing lightposts and streetlights.

I'm not sure if its fortunate or unfortunate, but my school finished the semester this past Friday, so a lot of people were gone and there was no crazy outdoor celebration with fireworks.

I understanding the desire to celebrate. Ya, it's a big deal. But how much does it really change? Fireworks and parties aren't going to bring back any of the people that were lost at Bin Laden's hands.

Sure, celebrate all you want, but be mindful of the big picture and what you're portraying in your celebrations.

Weren't most current college students about 8-12 years old when 9/11 occured? I doubt they have any real lasting memories of that day.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)

How dare you question how other people celebrate such a momentous occasion? What are they portraying? National Pride? What a horrible thing!

No one slaps the beer out of your hand when Serbia scores a huge victory or when the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, yet you complain about people celebrating an event much more important.

I see no reason why you should take offense to others finding the death of Bin Laden a reason for celebration. The entire country sat in disbelief watching the events unfold after 9/11, and we'd certainly hoped to have Osama, figurehead or not, brought to justice for his crimes against our country and others. The US Military, after a decade of close calls, has finally made Bin Laden answer for his crimes with the ultimate payment. If you don't understand the weight this event should have on national pride then you are just looking for reasons to complain.

I, for one, enjoyed all footage of Americans of all races partying, carrying flags, chanting "USA, USA, USA", and I'd hope most others would as well.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 2, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
How dare you question how other people celebrate such a momentous occasion? What are they portraying? National Pride? What a horrible thing!

No one slaps the beer out of your hand when Serbia scores a huge victory or when the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, yet you complain about people celebrating an event much more important.

I see no reason why you should take offense to others finding the death of Bin Laden a reason for celebration. The entire country sat in disbelief watching the events unfold after 9/11, and we'd certainly hoped to have Osama, figurehead or not, brought to justice for his crimes against our country and others. The US Military, after a decade of close calls, has finally made Bin Laden answer for his crimes with the ultimate payment. If you don't understand the weight this event should have on national pride then you are just looking for reasons to complain.

I, for one, enjoyed all footage of Americans of all races partying, carrying flags, chanting "USA, USA, USA", and I'd hope most others would as well.

You're entitled to your opinion. That's quite alright.

I never said it wasn't a reason to celebrate. I never said I was offended by the celebrations. And I never said a thing about Serbia (but it was only a matter of time before someone ignorantly mentioned it). For the sake of all people who OBL affected, I hope this doesn't turn into something it shouldn't.

I dont believe its about the importance, I believe that its about the fact thousands of people didnt die in order for a team to win a championship. Or that when the team won the championship there isnt a reminder of all the people who died because of the ridiculous acts of the other team.

I think the more appropriate comparison is:

Are you okay with people in another country cheering and celebrating the death of a US serviceman?

I am not.

As for American national pride, Im proud of the Americans who sacrificed their lives to try and save those who were the victims of the attacks. Killing Osama doesnt make me anymore or less proud of those people nor of my country.

Slav,

I see nothing wrong with your comments, to each their own at the end of the day.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Thats how I feel. My facebook feed is littered with people I know would claim to be Christian cheering his death/telling him to enjoy hell. It's wrong, no matter what he did.

I don't know about that. How bout when God parted the Red Sea and when the bad guys were in the middle of the sea killed them all? We read that passage at Easter Vigil every year.

War is awful. War is a b****. But you have to make the culprits pay with their death and it's OK to celebrate that.

Hitler? How did people react when that bastard went to hell?

I am Christian but I don't really feel bad for celebrating his death. I mean he was a murderer and had to go.

Now if God created a perfect world and there was no war ... it'd be different.

Excellent.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
WOW! Apparently the US got all of the computers/hard drives in the compound. THat's a HUGE blow to Al Qaeda

Yeah, that is definitely huge. I agree with SS2K5, that might turn out to be bigger then getting the man himself.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 2, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Maybe he was feeling/looking good because he was the one who actually pulled the trigger.

Obama_got_bin_Laden.jpg

That is friggin awesome.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
I don't know about that. How bout when God parted the Red Sea and when the bad guys were in the middle of the sea killed them all? We read that passage at Easter Vigil every year.

War is awful. War is a b****. But you have to make the culprits pay with their death and it's OK to celebrate that.

Hitler? How did people react when that bastard went to hell?

I am Christian but I don't really feel bad for celebrating his death. I mean he was a murderer and had to go.

Now if God created a perfect world and there was no war ... it'd be different.

I guess one of the 10 Commandments is optional for Christians.

I dont believe its about the importance, I believe that its about the fact thousands of people didnt die in order for a team to win a championship. Or that when the team won the championship there isnt a reminder of all the people who died because of the ridiculous acts of the other team.

I think the more appropriate comparison is:

Are you okay with people in another country cheering and celebrating the death of a US serviceman?

I am not.

As for American national pride, Im proud of the Americans who sacrificed their lives to try and save those who were the victims of the attacks. Killing Osama doesnt make me anymore or less proud of those people nor of my country.

Slav,

I see nothing wrong with your comments, to each their own at the end of the day.

You can't seriously be comparing the killing of Osama to the killing of a serviceman.

I wonder if they had a plan in place that if for some reason OBL was killed, several terrorist attacks be carried out within the US within X number of days.

God I hope not. As we all know, we have a ton of vulnerabilities here including trains stations and other public areas.