Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I think its more pathetic that people are trying to make this into a political lynchpin. The people that were murdered by OBL werent left, right, middle,or even all American. They were people. I wish some of the talking heads could focus back on those victims instead of whose damn party did what.

FWIW OBL and Al Qaeda have killed many people on other countries as well. Like I said earlier in the thread, the whole world has a good reason to be happy that he's gone.

Not shocked that this instantly turned into "how does this help Obama?" for Dems and "damage control" for guys like Rush in less than 24 hours.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get into a political debate, but I might as well say this. The major Republicans who have come out are not trying to take credit away from Obama. It's only the nuts that you'll see do that. I think the Republicans know that it would be a bad PR move to turn this into a pissing match about who deserves credit. You come out looking much better if you just align yourselves with the victory by congratulating those in power rather than trying to say you deserve the credit and they don't.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm sure it was an order to take him alive if he was willing but to leave absolute no chance of him escaping. The more I think about it the more I think i'm ok with that. Him alive in handcuffs would have been great TV though.

Also, how wild would it have been to be one of those seal guys. To actually get in there and see that it was Bin Laden. In their minds you think they were like "holy s***, that's the guy we've been looking at in videos and photographs for 10 years."

Honestly, there probably wasn't much time for thought or reflection at the time. They were just finishing up a 40 minute assault on a compound in a foreign country that didn't know they were there. Before and after the mission, though, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I have yet to read or hear of any political figure from either party doing this.

Its already starting. The inevitable selfishness that comes with statements and opinion reporting will mask the reflection that should be done in honor of the victims all over the world that have been avenged.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I have yet to read or hear of any political figure from either party doing this.

Rush was already talking about it, giving Obama credit for sticking with Bush/Republican policies that lead to this mission.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't want to get into a political debate, but I might as well say this. The major Republicans who have come out are not trying to take credit away from Obama. It's only the nuts that you'll see do that. I think the Republicans know that it would be a bad PR move to turn this into a pissing match about who deserves credit. You come out looking much better if you just align yourselves with the victory by congratulating those in power rather than trying to say you deserve the credit and they don't.

Congressional Republicans had a good press conf earlier today

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Still has 20 year old tits though. Mercy.

With two whole years left on the manufacturer's warranty.

We now return to this mature, political discussion . . .

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Rush was already talking about it, giving Obama credit for sticking with Bush/Republican policies that lead to this mission.

I don't have a problem with that really. I mean, it was Bush policies that lead to the capture of the guy that gave up the courier. But that should be the extent of it, and Obama shouldn't be discredited since he made the ultimate choice, approved the plan, and kept the search going into his presidency.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 2, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
The answer is obvious. So why are you trying to bring everyone down?

I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I just don't think it should be ignored.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

Is this a fitting celebration?

Wow, Slav. You are right. College kids getting drunk.

You could tell a dozen college kids that an asteroid nearly hit our planet until Bruce Willis went up and nuked it from within and they'd drink to celebrate.

You could tell them you stayed at a Motel 6 and they'd offer you a shot.

What I saw there was people holding American flags, chanting USA, and singing the star spangled banner. There's always going to be a couple bad seeds in a crowd (though none in that crowd that you seem to believe offers definitive proof of your position), but what I see there is peaceful jubilation and a really old boom box.

No violence. no crime being committed. Lots of American flags.

HOW TERRIBLE! :lolhitting

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 2, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
How about here is a piece by Greenwald.

Calling it good is very subjective as I find it to be a "look at me" piece.

You know, pretending that anyone who isn't cheerleading this right now is somehow just exhibiting teenaged angst sort of validates his opening point.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
You know, pretending that anyone who isn't cheerleading this right now is somehow just exhibiting teenaged angst sort of validates his opening point.

I agree with Rock. The guy is clearly on his pulpit just halfway through the first paragraph. What a pompous ass.