Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
The doubters in the Middle East will look just as stupid as the doubters in the U.S. Hell, I haven't even seen a purported "Al Qaeda" statement denying that he was dead, have you? Pandering to the beliefs of idiots is not a very solid reason to release those photos, and it's still a far cry from your statement that it'd somehow be sending a message in a way that the actual killing of UBL did not.

This x 1,000.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
This x 1,000.

If that's the case then why did they release pictures of other people they killed in the compound?

-sorry if this was asked already, I didn't read 52 pages of this thread.

warning-graphic

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
If that's the case then why did they release pictures of other people they killed in the compound?

warning-graphic

Are you sure the US released those? I thought those were pictures taken by Pakistanis in the area or their military/police.

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)

warning-graphic

Those weren't released by the US, they were taken by a Pakistani security official who entered the compound after the early morning raid on Monday.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
But what if they used a completely authentic photo of a dead guy that happened to look eerily similar to OBL? The photo could be authentic but what if the person in it isn't?

That's why i'm saying release more than one. Throw in a picture of the burial preparation. I have to imagine they took a gazillion pictures documenting what they did. Plus, he's 6'4". He's not exactly a typical looking Saudi.

And i'm not discounting the fact that there will still be doubters no matter what we provide. I just don't see the harm of releasing them, especially since these other pictures have come out. The cats already out of the bag.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
That's why i'm saying release more than one. Throw in a picture of the burial preparation. I have to imagine they took a gazillion pictures documenting what they did. Plus, he's 6'4". He's not exactly a typical looking Saudi.

I don't think they should release the burial preparation stuff. Muslims seem to be very strict with the guidelines for that kind of stuff and you don't want get them in a uproar about something they see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Those weren't released by the US, they were taken by a Pakistani security official who entered the compound after the early morning raid on Monday.

that would answer that question...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 5, 2011 -> 04:05 AM)
When I saw the pictures my first reaction was that water guns are probably not too effective against navy seals.

I don't mean to quote myself, but can someone tell why they were armed with water guns? What exactly is the purpose here? It's not like you could even disguise those as real guns.

Maybe it was just evidence replacement?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't mean to quote myself, but can someone tell why they were armed with water guns? What exactly is the purpose here? It's not like you could even disguise those as real guns.

There were kids in the house.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
Providing photographic evidence is not a stronger message than just relying on US government statements/press conferences? Seriously? From the perspective of people we're talking about here?

We already know the operation happened. We've seen the destroyed helicopter on satellite photos. We've seen the guy who twittered the thing live. The Pakistanis are annoyed. We've seen the blood. No one is just relying on US government statements/press conferences.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

I wouldn't read too much into it... reports say there were children in the house, so it's probably just a toy of theirs. Add to that that a quick Google search yields that many water guns are manufactured in Pakistan, I'd just choke it up to weird.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
I think there are various types of deniers out there. There's your extreme conspiracy theorists who won't believe anything, even if they see it with their own eyes. But I also think there are skeptics out there who question whether Bin Laden is really dead and a picture of proof (including perhaps pictures of his burial service) would leave no doubt. Look at the birther issue. Nearly 40% of the population kinda bought into it. Obama gave proof, and now you're just left with the nut jobs who think it's all a fake.

Was it really that many? My God, I hate Americans. I suppose that's the wrong thing to say in a thread about the death of Osama bin Laden.

I love America, but I can't stand Americans.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Was it really that many? My God, I hate Americans. I suppose that's the wrong thing to say in a thread about the death of Osama bin Laden.

About the same percentage as people who thought 9/11 was some sort of a conspiracy...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2372335:date=May 5, 2011 -> 12:14 PM:name=Milkman delivers)-->
<!--quotec-->Was it really that many? My God, I hate Americans. I suppose that's the wrong thing to say in a thread about the death of Osama bin Laden.

I remember watching that episode and thinking about how I've felt that way many, many times.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
About the same percentage as people who thought 9/11 was some sort of a conspiracy...

But significantly less than the percentage of people who thought Saddam orchestrated 9/11!

I'm sure the troothers and the birthers have some overlap, but it isn't total, which means we've probably got a majority of dumb people who believe really stupid things.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)

C'mon, the conspiracy theorists for 9/11 were not that high, were they?

EDIT: Awkward wording, yes.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I think we just need to come up with something similar to a Chris Rock joke. I think the following would work...

Americans - yay we love

Merikans - wtf

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_...s_opinion_polls

Over 30% in the US believed that Bush/CIA/US Government had "advance knowledge" of the attacks, but that's more along the lines of "Truman let Pearl Harbor happen" than directly accusing the US of planning the attacks.

But even if it's only 10%, that's still 30 million people.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)

In the most simple forms, yes. It drops down as you add more sinisterness to the plot. But the historical polls show that pretty close to the same percentages feel Bush at least knew about it in advance and did nothing to stop it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
In the most simple forms, yes. It drops down as you add more sinisterness to the plot. But the historical polls show that pretty close to the same percentages feel Bush at least knew about it in advance and did nothing to stop it.

It's close enough to realize that we're all f***ed.

Ruling with consent of the governed is great, but what if the governed all have serious mental impairments?

LOL, there's actually an "is [bush/Obama] the anti-christ?" question in that 2009 PPP poll in the link above.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/sur...nal_9231210.pdf

What is wrong with humanity?

Do you think Barack Obama is the Anti-Christ?

If yes, press 1. If no, press 2. If you’re not

sure, press 3.

I don't want to live in this galaxy anymore.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
It's close enough to realize that we're all f***ed.

Ruling with consent of the governed is great, but what if the governed all have serious mental impairments?

They elect people with serious mental impairments obviously...