Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, for the sake of the story, I think the Obama admn needs to reign in everyone with knowledge of the mission so they can get their story straight. I'm sure most of this is the media to blame for spinning what's being said (for instance, when someone gives a press conference and says "to my knowledge" or "it's my belief" they never seem to add that in the story, making it seem like what the person is saying is absolute fact), but why are they letting like 5 different versions of the story out?

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim...den-was-a-miss/

“You’d think that 24 hours after the fact, they’d be able to ferret things out a little more,” Chambliss said. “But I know that anytime you have a situation like this – it happens in a far-off land, and you’ve got 24 guys rushing into a compound, guns a-blazing, there’s going to be confusion.”

Still, Chambliss said, “Every day it seems like somebody is having to straighten out some fact.”

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
Honestly, for the sake of the story, I think the Obama admn needs to reign in everyone with knowledge of the mission so they can get their story straight. I'm sure most of this is the media to blame for spinning what's being said (for instance, when someone gives a press conference and says "to my knowledge" or "it's my belief" they never seem to add that in the story, making it seem like what the person is saying is absolute fact), but why are they letting like 5 different versions of the story out?

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim...den-was-a-miss/

The guy is dead. What else do you need to know? The exact number of bullets fired? Why is this even a controversy?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
The guy is dead. What else do you need to know? The exact number of bullets fired? Why is this even a controversy?

I don't question his death at all. I don't question anything about the mission. I'm just saying it looks pretty bad when high ranking officials disagree over basic facts - was he armed/unarmed, did he use his wife as a shield, etc.

The most obvious though is the reaction from his followers (and more importantly, sympathizers) if people start acknowledging that he surrendered first. We already have a bumbling idiot saying he was "executed" and he should have gotten a trial.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
I don't question his death at all. I don't question anything about the mission. I'm just saying it looks pretty bad when high ranking officials disagree over basic facts - was he armed/unarmed, did he use his wife as a shield, etc.

The most obvious though is the reaction from his followers (and more importantly, sympathizers) if people start acknowledging that he surrendered first. We already have a bumbling idiot saying he was "executed" and he should have gotten a trial.

Whatever. This was a top secret Navy Seal mission that successfully killed public enemy #1. That's all I need to know.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Whatever. This was a top secret Navy Seal mission that successfully killed public enemy #1. That's all I need to know.

I gotta agree with Jenks here.

They did a solid job of actually killing him, but they needed to either keep their mouths closed until they had all the reports or at least not make up things to fill in the gaps.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
Yeah, they are saying there is evidence of planning for a train plot - derailing by putting obstacles in the way - to be done around the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

There was a lot more security present this morning in the city.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
What's up with the congressmen, especially Chambliss, that are releasing information from these supposedly "classified" meetings?

A couple of them were flat out fooled by some sort of hoax UBL corpse pictures, I have no idea what's up with that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)

I don't really think it is much of a conspiracy. Right now, people (including on this board) are worried about the perceptions of the Tea Party and extremists in Afghanistan/Pakistan, which have gone largely unfounded. The next time I care what Michael Moore has to say will be the first.

The administration needs to move onto the phase of getting our troops out of Afghanistan and swiftly, and to then deploy these cost-savings on a strapped United States economy that is being ignored right now.

Al Qaeda admitting bin Laden is dead is stronger "proof" that it's true than any photo or video would have been in my opinion. Not that I doubted he's dead, but their acknowledgement proves the Obama administration right in not releasing any photos or videos since there was no reason to other than "proof".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
controllerNameimageactiongetid7945.jpg

From this interesting article.

Sadly, all that does is point out that Osama got exactly what he wanted out of those attacks. It's always been about numbers, not death tolls, with him.

Can you really equate "war on terrorism" with actual territorial wars against nations?

And how on earth did the oklahoma city bombing cost over a billion? Security changes at federal buildings?

I'd like to know the cost of the cold war. Bet it's more than all of those combined.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
I'd like to know the cost of the cold war. Bet it's more than all of those combined.

Depends on how you draw the baseline. We've probably spent more money on defense in the last 10 years than we did during the whole Cold War.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
Depends on how you draw the baseline. We've probably spent more money on defense in the last 10 years than we did during the whole Cold War.

It depends on if you want to adjust for inflation or not.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)

I'm thinking that the SOF team went in and basically executed bin Laden and all the different stories were the administration trying to get the PR spin right because they really can't just go saying that s*** out loud.

I'm totally cool with a summary execution of bin Laden though. A trial would've been expensive, time-consuming, demoralizingly politically draining... everybody's happy with a bullet to the head.

The article on spending is interesting. They attribute all of the collateral spending to the war on terror (ie they include the amount spent to improve defense against terrorists), but yet they dont include those figures in WWII, etc. Basically to really compare the spending, youd add to add in all Cold War spending because that was spending done to prevent WWIII the equivalent of spending to prevent another terrorist attack.

Also the economic benefit should be "unknown" as we have no idea how the economy responded due to increased US spending on defense.

lost,

I agree that Osama was not being brought back alive.