AJ disliked by his teammates

Real

QUOTE (Real @ May 2, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Dan & Lawrence (Terry was off) were talking about AJ and how his teammates have made it well known that they either hate him (their words, not mine), or strongly dislike him

If this is the case and isn't misinformation, why did we bring this clown back? Even Goff said he heard the pitchers can't stand him

I listened too and I remember Bernsie saying that, while Lawrence was questioning him, saying that he heard differently. Specifically that he knew the starting pitchers respected him. Then they argued about whose "sources" were correct.

AJP may not be the most likeable person around, but if he was that big of an issue in the clubhouse, I'm sure it would have been noticed by KW or Ozzie sometime in the last 6 years and they wouldnt keep bringing him back, especially considering his diminished skill set.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.J. has been the most hated man in baseball for a long time. He behaved himself when K.W. took a chance on him and now the ass***e in him is re-emerging. The biggest ass is the manager. I could see it being an uncomfortable situation for some guys. But so what, make your big money and win ballgames. Winning is fun remember. It cures all ills.

The one thing you've got to wonder is how much AJ contributes to the wild mood swings this team sees. There's, of course, the Guillen rant from a year or two ago about college football games being on all the TV's in the locker room after a bad loss that everyone seemed to pin on AJ.

QUOTE (since56 @ May 3, 2011 -> 07:41 AM)
A.J. has been the most hated man in baseball for a long time. He behaved himself when K.W. took a chance on him and now the ass***e in him is re-emerging. The biggest ass is the manager. I could see it being an uncomfortable situation for some guys. But so what, make your big money and win ballgames. Winning is fun remember. It cures all ills.

Actually there are very few people who do not like Guillen. He is a very fun and entertaining person to be with. He is a very likable person. He is the loudmouth friend at the end of the bar that everyone has fun with. Now, his in game strategy is a totally different thing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 3, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
Actually there are very few people who do not like Guillen. He is a very fun and entertaining person to be with. He is a very likable person. He is the loudmouth friend at the end of the bar that everyone has fun with. Now, his in game strategy is a totally different thing.

I've always assumed that. I remember when he came on in 2004 the players were a little confused when he was swearing constantly and trying to push the players into swearing too - I remember a quote from Buehrle, something to the effect of "if we swore 3 times, we'd be in trouble, but now if we don't swear, we're in trouble."

To some degree, you have to wonder if that's good or bad for the clubhouse (though I tend to think it's probably some of both, just as it will be with any manager). You want a level of comfort in your players, but being too comfortable can lead to problems within the ship itself and can see a team tailspin pretty quickly, and really, it can lead to complacency. On the other hand, being too uptight can lead to problems within the clubhouse and sometimes insubordination.

Personally, this is where I think Ozzie excels. I think he gets his team as mentally prepared for each game as possible, knows when to let them remain comfortable, and knows when he needs to get the team to buckle down. You can't win them all (bet you've never heard that one before), and this team has gone through a pretty tough stretch. They've gone through similar stretches before, and .500 ball from here until the end of May gets them to the same spot that they were in last May - not that it's good, just that it's atleast some sort of common ground. And, at the end of the day on June 1st, they will have played 35 of their 57 games on the road, which also means that they will have played almost half of their road games by the 2nd of June.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a "grass is greener" sort of post, just that Ozzie came up and I wanted to talk about him. Ozzie's a fun guy, and I'm honestly still glad he's the manager of my baseball team.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
If the clubhouse is such a trainwreck with the Ozzie's and AJ's why do guys keep coming back, the nice weather?.....who was the last Sox player that left that the Sox wanted to retain?

JJ Putz? Andruw Jones? MARK KOTSAY?

Guys keep coming back because they get paid.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
you really think they wanted to retain Jones and Kotsay?

Kotsay was a joke.

I'm pretty sure that at some point during the offseason, Williams or someone connected to the Sox made mention that they wanted to retain Jones, but didn't think they'd have room in the budget for him. He signed for $2 million, and considering all of the additions they made, I'm not sure they do have room for him at that price. I also think they were planning on him signing for a bit more than that - I figured he'd be able to wrangle a $4 mill contract from someone, potentially even with an option included. There's just not a very strong market for middle aged outfielders who swing for the fences and can really only connect on those swings consistently against left handed pitching.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
This is total crap ... if there was a real clubhouse issue, they would not have re-signed him. Additionally, AJ has made average starting pitchers outperform for years and we all know that at a minimum Buehrle respects him. GMAFB

May I refresh everyone's memory:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3657165

It isn't crap. AJ is a classic jerk and bully. Nobody likes him. They tolerate him because of how he can help a pitching staff. MB may repsect him, I don't know for sure, he tends to try to get evrone to play niceand is usually postive but I guarantee he doesn't like him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 3, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
I don't believe it. That's like saying nobody liked Carlton Fisk.

It would have been interesting for him to play in today's game. I'll bet the perception of him would have been a whole lot different today than in the 70's and 80's when lots of lockerroom stuff didn't get out.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
This is total crap ... if there was a real clubhouse issue, they would not have re-signed him. Additionally, AJ has made average starting pitchers outperform for years and we all know that at a minimum Buehrle respects him. GMAFB

May I refresh everyone's memory:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3657165

AJ is the one that helps starting pitchers perform over their head? And here I thought it was Don Cooper preaching the cutter, control within the strike zone, and working within a pitcher's limitations.

Who needs a hitting coach...more like, WHO NEEDS A PITCHING COACH?

Seriously, I understand that AJ calls a good game, but he doesn't *make* these pitchers perform well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
AJ is the one that helps starting pitchers perform over their head? And here I thought it was Don Cooper preaching the cutter, control within the strike zone, and working within a pitcher's limitations.

Who needs a hitting coach...more like, WHO NEEDS A PITCHING COACH?

Seriously, I understand that AJ calls a good game, but he doesn't *make* these pitchers perform well.

Hasn't Castro had a lower catcher's ERA since he's been here? I just tried looking on Fangraphs, but I don't see CERA on there.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I'm still waiting for the "sacrifices" that KW was going to make when he went to NYC. Isn't Cowley also supposed to have great sources in the Sox clubhouse?

More bulls***. The Chicago media, like all sports media, has no allegiance to truth.

Cowley has two sources when it comes to the Sox. AJ and Ozzie Jr.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Hasn't Castro had a lower catcher's ERA since he's been here? I just tried looking on Fangraphs, but I don't see CERA on there.

Because it's a generally circumstantial and worthless statistic...my opinion of course. If you catch good pitchers, it's going to be low; if you catch bad pitchers, it's going to be high. A catcher only has so much effect on that.

ESPN still has CERA (and I think it and MLB.com may be the only ones who keep track of it anymore...not even sure of MLB). Castro's CERA was 4.48. That tells me two things.

1) Freddy Garcia (probably) pitched better to Castro than he did AJ.

2) AJ had a lower CERA

I do think Castro is a better option because he will atleast provide some power, but that will never happen, not with Ozzie's respect for AJ nor with AJ's contract.