Oz gives MB champagne and HOF vote on 150 wins

southsider2k5

These are the things I love about Ozzie.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sport...0,1268316.story

Ozzie Guillen doesn't have a Hall of Fame ballot, but the Chicago White Sox's manager led the crusade Monday night for left-handed ace Mark Buehrle following his 150th career victory.

“That’s Hall of Fame," Guillen said before chuckles were heard in the audience. "Believe me, I think the Hall of Fame is going to start putting people there with 200 wins. I sound cocky, but they have to. Maybe 10 years from now, they don’t have 300 wins anymore, 3,000 hits anymore, the 500 home runs any more. They better think about that. That was my idea.

"Remember this day, because there aren’t going to be many guys with that many home runs, games, wins.

Buehrle, 32, is the 10th active player to reach that milestone. Guillen didn't mention Buehrle's lifetime 3.86 ERA, but he explained that the specialization of the game would result in fewer Hall of Fame candidates with numbers similar to past inductees.

"You can name it with one hand there are going to be Hall of Famers now because the number is going to be pretty tough,” Guillen said.

Buehrle seemed amused by Guillen's prediction.

"Well I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing," Buehrle said. "Good, I’ve been around the league long enough, and it’s bad because I’m getting older. Everyone is joking around saying 10 ½ or 11 more years to get to 300. I don’t think that’s going to happen.

"It’s just a round number. I don’t know if I’m downplaying it more than everyone else. Everyone is in here congratulating me. Ozzie gave me a bottle of champagne. It’s kind of like it’s just a round number - 140, 150, 160 - they are all round numbers.

"Obviously, it’s 150 more than I’ve ever dreamed of having. I never thought, when you get to the big leagues you want to stay here, and 10, 11 years later, I have 150 wins. It’s a great honor, but I don’t see how big it is."

[email protected]

Twitter @MDGonzales

It's obviously a nice gesture and even a bit of sarcasm on Guillen's part. A few years ago, I wouldn't have dismissed the idea of Mark Buehrle eventually becoming a Hall of Famer. He probably would have a legitimate shot if he were on a team like the Yankees that constantly wins 90 games and scores a ton of runs (I don't mean that as a shot at the team either). At this point, though, he's not going to make it and it's fairly easy to say that.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
If he ever gets to 200 I think he will have a chance. A perfect game, another no-no, a WS ring (with a save). He has done a lot of amazing things and I would say he could be 50/50 if he gets to 200.

Wait and see what happens to Andy Pettitte before we talk about Mark.

For Buehrle to have any chance at the Hall, I think he needs to keep his career ERA where it is now or lower it and add probably about 100 wins. That combined with the Perfect game and no hitter. All star games, gold gloves, Ring, etc... would at least put him in the discussion. Anything outside of that he doesn't have a chance. He probably will at least garner a few votes tho judging by who some of these voters vote for. Regardless of what happens the next few years, he's had a heck of a career.

There was a point where you could pencil Mark into having 14+ wins in a season (01-05) but the last few years (not including 08’) have held him back from having a good look at what could be Hall Of Fame consideration.

Props do have to be given to Mark for being such an effective pitcher in the AL. Perhaps if he moves to the NL and plays for a winning organization he can gain some ground.

In an age of advanced stats, Im surprised win totals are what we think future writers will vote on.

My guess is that there will be a greater emphasis on quality starts, etc, because as pitchers go less innings, they have a greater chance a bullpen pitcher wastes a great start.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
In an age of advanced stats, Im surprised win totals are what we think future writers will vote on.

My guess is that there will be a greater emphasis on quality starts, etc, because as pitchers go less innings, they have a greater chance a bullpen pitcher wastes a great start.

I just can't see Hall of Fame voters going off of a standard like "6 IP and 3 ER or less", it seems so bloody weak.

Ill just make up a hypothetical.

But who would be more deserving:

Pitcher A) 3500 IP, 2.99 era, 100 wins

Pitcher B) 3500 ip, 4.5 era, 300 wins

I just think that in the future (when MB is being voted on) the voters arent going to place as much weight on wins and losses. Now wins may push them over the top, I just dont think they are as important as they once were.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
He's only 15 short of Sandy Koufax.

Not even with 200, mark wasn't dominating, hasn't won 20 games in a season and a few other milestones that they look at, If that's the case then Tommy John and Jamie Moyer are hall of famers

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 3, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
Not even with 200, mark wasn't dominating, hasn't won 20 games in a season and a few other milestones that they look at, If that's the case then Tommy John and Jamie Moyer are hall of famers

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Please don't ever compare Mark to Sandy Koufax again, thanks.

I never said Mark should be in the HOF, nor did I compare him to Koufax. I simply stated a fact that cannot be argued.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 3, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
I never said Mark should be in the HOF, nor did I compare him to Koufax. I simply stated a fact that cannot be argued.

Sorry dude I know you didn't I quoted the wrong post

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
With the frequency that the Sox put up statues, I am surprised Joe Borchard doesn't have one yet. Buehrle would have to shoot JR's pet deer for the Sox to not retire his number and put up a statue. Hall of Fame is a stretch though. How long did it take for Burt Blyleven?

Too long, Bert sould have been in at least 9 - 10 years ago

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
With the frequency that the Sox put up statues, I am surprised Joe Borchard doesn't have one yet. Buehrle would have to shoot JR's pet deer for the Sox to not retire his number and put up a statue. Hall of Fame is a stretch though. How long did it take for Burt Blyleven?

Who has a statue out there that you think doesn't deserve one?