I aint even mad

Nokona

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
1997 Marlins, 2003 Marlins, 2002 Angels (I mean they made the playoffs a lot after but bottom out every time, and I'm sure their fanbase is pretty pissed about it ) Took the Yankees almost 10 years to finally buy another championship, I'm sure that was frustrating for all the spoiled-ass Yankee fans....

Doesn't that kind of not make sense? They one it in 1997 and then they were right back there winning it again six years later. And the Angels have been to the playoffs like every season since winning it.

The Diamondbacks haven't done too much, but at least they've won a playoff series since winning it all.

I don't think the Sox even experienced much of an attendance bump besides the year immediately following their championship. They then became arguably the worst team around.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Good question, but with each passing year, it makes me appreciate 2005 even more. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, went right for us and we capitalized on those breaks. It was definitely a fluke, but not in a bad way. We deserved the World Series that year as much as any team has in a long time.

In modern day sports you can pretty make the case that any team that wins a championship is a fluke. Dynasties do not exist anymore. The 2005 Sox had the best record in baseball heading into the post season and proved they were the best team.

Did anyone predict a Ranger-Giants WS?

It's been awhile that the NFL team with the best record has won a Super Bowl.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:58 AM)
In modern day sports you can pretty make the case that any team that wins a championship is a fluke. Dynasties do not exist anymore. The 2005 Sox had the best record in baseball heading into the post season and proved they were the best team.

Did anyone predict a Ranger-Giants WS?

It's been awhile that the NFL team with the best record has won a Super Bowl.

2nd best record in baseball going into the playoffs. But I see your point.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2011 -> 05:00 AM)
I agree with that. This team seemed to have just so much potential going forward from 2005. I can't recall a single other team going from the best in one year to just about the worst only two years later. And it's been nothing but utter disappointments since then.

I really had high hopes back then that we'd be a consistent division winner.

But we got into that Twins hex thing and now we can't beat any body in our division.

Really sad. I thought in '05 we were going to be a dominant team at least in the Central.

I wasn't mad either. I actually laughed hysterically when I turned the radio on in the bottom of the 8th and heard Liriano had a no-no with 6 BBs. LMAO. I'm still laughing. We got no-hit by a guy with a 9+ ERA, who walked 6... EPIC! This offense, though, is officially historically bad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:35 AM)
I really had high hopes back then that we'd be a consistent division winner.

But we got into that Twins hex thing and now we can't beat any body in our division.

Really sad. I thought in '05 we were going to be a dominant team at least in the Central.

The first phase of the Twins' hex was officially 2001-2004.

It came back in the second half of 2006 and hasn't departed since then, with the exception of Game 163.

2010, head-to-head, was definitely as bad as any of those 01-02-03-04 seasons, though.

QUOTE (since56 @ May 4, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Always darkest before the dawn! GO GO WHITE SOX!! Down but not out!!!

Win today and we have split with Cleveland, K.C. and the Twinkies.

Enthusiasm aside, when your pants SPLIT, you throw them away

I just don't get this. On paper, this team seemed to be a contender. And the starting pitching has been solid. But here we have a team where:

-Pierre can't steal

-Beckham can't hit

-Morel can't field (why the hell isn't Vizquel starting at third?)

-Dunn can't hit to save his life

-Rios can't hit

and our star player has been... Lillibridge?!

It is just bizarre.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 02:59 AM)
Seriously, me neither. Not that anyone cares, but I've emotionally checked out on this team. Sure, they can suck me back in with a 25-5 stretch, but I just don't believe in the organization right now. I'll be watching games now to enjoy Santos, Humber, and hope to see improvements from Beckham/Quentin/Rios/Dunn/Sale/Floyd/Morel

Fathom, that's alot of improvements waiting to happen. Who would have ever thunk it!

BP, at least before last night, said we had at least a 25% chance to win the division still, about 2X the chances for the Twins.

But then there's that only the 1987 Tigers coming back from more than 10 GB at this point in the season issue. I think the other two to do it were in 1908 and 1911 on one of Juan Pierre's old teams in the NL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
But then there's that only the 1987 Tigers coming back from more than 10 GB at this point in the season issue. I think the other two to do it were in 1908 and 1911 on one of Juan Pierre's old teams in the NL.

What I love about this stat, is that there have been numerous teams that have come back from being 10 GB in May, June, July, even August. Just not April.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
What I love about this stat, is that there have been numerous teams that have come back from being 10 GB in May, June, July, even August. Just not April.

I think that's usually because the teams that fall that far behind early in the season are really, really bad teams. So far, this has been a really bad team, but I still think there's too much talent on this team for them to not turn it around to some extent.

Honestly though, you have to be hoping that 85 wins gets the division at this point. I think it's very possible that it might. Just have to hope the Twins stay banged up all year.

s***, I know I'm mad. Surprised? No. Because I never thought this team was a lock to flat-out dominate. Never thought it would be this bad. But there were pros and cons either way. Outside of Dunn, who's been a massive bust to this point, this is the exact same team that came up short last year. I guess you could say Crain, who's been fantastic, is Putz at this point. It was just automatically assumed that 'well, this team won 88 games last year with Kotsay at DH. Surely that can win more than that with Dunn.' That's the lazy way of looking at it. There are just too many hit-or-miss guys on this team. Offense and pitching. We don't have multiple guys, think the Rockies with Cargo and Tulo, that can flat dominate and carry you for a month or more. Guys that can mask the inconsistency of others. Baseball is not as superstar-centric as basketball, obviously. But it's nice to have one or two. The fundamentals are what's eatin' at me the most. The errors, the poor baserunning, ect. This is not supposed to happen with Ozzie managed teams. Yet it's the case every year, save one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
s***, I know I'm mad. Surprised? No. Because I never thought this team was a lock to flat-out dominate. Never thought it would be this bad. But there were pros and cons either way. Outside of Dunn, who's been a massive bust to this point, this is the exact same team that came up short last year. I guess you could say Crain, who's been fantastic, is Putz at this point. It was just automatically assumed that 'well, this team won 88 games last year with Kotsay at DH. Surely that can win more than that with Dunn.' That's the lazy way of looking at it. There are just too many hit-or-miss guys on this team. Offense and pitching. We don't have multiple guys, think the Rockies with Cargo and Tulo, that can flat dominate and carry you for a month or more. Guys that can mask the inconsistency of others. Baseball is not as superstar-centric as basketball, obviously. But it's nice to have one or two. The fundamentals are what's eatin' at me the most. The errors, the poor baserunning, ect. This is not supposed to happen with Ozzie managed teams. Yet it's the case every year, save one.

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I just have to say it since it seems like you do it a lot.

It's "etc."

QUOTE (Real @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:16 AM)
We'll get perfect gamed on Friday, haha, maybe you should go to the Seattle game!

I will be there and not looking forward to the possible result. But, maybe being there in person will somehow bring good Karma to this Sox rabble