Most disappointing Sox team

caulfield12

Which Sox team has most disappointed you?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Sox disappointments

• 1967 White Sox
    • 1977 White Sox
    • 1984 White Sox
    • 1994 White Sox (strike season)
    • 2001 White Sox
    • 2003 White Sox
    • 2006 White Sox
    • 2009-10 White Sox
    • 2011 White Sox
    • 1997 White Sox (White Flag I Year)

2011 because there's just no reason for this at all. Kenny built a team on paper that should be at least in 2nd place right now. The players are vomiting all over themselves and Reinsdorf looks like an idiot for actually believing in his team enough to run out the highest payroll in Sox history. And that brings me to another point, which is that this 2011 team may go down in history, at least for the next 5+ years, as the singular reason why JR won't spend anymore. And it would be hard to blame him. And if that happens, we can all thank these great players, managers, and coaches for their contributions this season, on and off the field.

This isn't on Kenny and it isn't on JR IMO. Even Mark Teahen has a pulse for God sakes. This is all on the players.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
2011 because there's just no reason for this at all. Kenny built a team on paper that should be at least in 2nd place right now. The players are vomiting all over themselves and Reinsdorf looks like an idiot for actually believing in his team enough to run out the highest payroll in Sox history. And that brings me to another point, which is that this 2011 team may go down in history, at least for the next 5+ years, as the singular reason why JR won't spend anymore. And it would be hard to blame him. And if that happens, we can all thank these great players, managers, and coaches for their contributions this season, on and off the field.

This isn't on Kenny and it isn't on JR IMO. Even Mark Teahen has a pulse for God sakes. This is all on the players.

Well said.

If this team doesn't bounce back and get its act together, we are in for the dark age of White Sox baseball in the next 5 years.

At least the Bulls are good and there's Derrick Rose...

Can't really say it's this season, since there is every chance in the world they finish 82-80, right in the middle of the pack like it's been for the last decade plus.

But here's the mind twister....if this season does go fully into the tank, if this season gets rids of Ozzie and his staff and KW and brings in various other players/staff that we eventually like is it disappointing? or just necessary?

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
The 2007 White Sox should be on this list.

Truthfully, I wasn't expecting too much that year.

But I sure as hell didn't expect 72 wins.

Edited by chw42

I've got to vote for this year.

Seriously, I've never seen such poor, pathetic baseball.

I don't even think that's an exaggeration.

Since the nice 7-4 start, nobody can say with a straight face they've witnessed a more horrendous display of baseball on an almost daily basis.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
Truthfully, I wasn't expecting too much that year.

But I sure as hell didn't expect 72 wins.

We had a brand new bullpen and a new SP, all young unproven players for the most part. And we were counting on solid years from the likes of Pods, Contreras, etc. Yeah, I didn't see 72-90 but being a non-contender wasn't all that surprising.

2006 was surprising, but the Sox were a very good team all year until the typical choke job late where they let the Twins eat their lunch (as usual). That was a flawed team, but in baseball where you have a 25-man roster and maybe 30-40 different players take the field over the season, is there any such thing as a team without flaws? That team was disappointing in that they only won 90 games in a division with IIRC a 95-win and a 96-win team. But here in 2011 we're in a bad division and we should be expected to win 90+ games without even trying, and yet we're on pace to win about 18.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
Before I even saw the poll, I was going to vote for 2007.

How can 2006 be on that list? That was a great year filled with career seasons. No playoffs, but not for lack of winning.

Well disappointment is based on expectations, and I wouldn't call it a great year. More talented team than 05, they were only a 90 win team that should have won more. 9 up on the Twins at the break and ended up 6 behind them (and 5 behind the Tigers).

That's sure disappointing, and should absolutely be on that list.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 3, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
Well disappointment is based on expectations, and I wouldn't call it a great year. More talented team than 05, they were only a 90 win team that should have won more. 9 up on the Twins at the break and ended up 6 behind them (and 5 behind the Tigers).

That's sure disappointing, and should absolutely be on that list.

100% agree.

2006 was far more disappointing than 2007 for me.

I voted for 2006. I had high expectations. I was disappointed because I expected more. This season my expectations weren't that high. I had high hopes but there's a big difference between expectations and hopes. I'm way more angry about this season that's for sure. No White Sox season has ever made me this angry. I want MAJOR changes.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

I picked this year, though 2006 was close. The late collapse that year was the thing that made it stand out for me. Through the first half of 2006, I was still riding the wave from 2005. The fall from altitude was painful.

However, this year trumped that for me because of the flavor of the losses so far. I can sometimes even, sort of, see a team-wide batting slump and, with even more difficulty, see a staff-wide drop in pitching (particularly the bullpen, initially). Those are dificult things and slumps happen. In this setting though, I cannot accept these things.

I cannot accept them because of the dropped flies, poor tracks to the ball, not covering bases, giving away outs on the bases, runners on first base after they just got their third strike, not finding the ball in the infielders' gloves, throwing it into the seats, runs scoring on wild pitches, serial walks, and weak sauce throws from left field. These are the things that make this so very incredibly painful to watch. These are things that are happening with fair regularity and they are things that MLB players should not allow to happen.

I know they will cash their paychecks. We all would. I feel like they are not earning them.

2006 really, really sucked

They were easily the most dominant team in the league in the first half. But Contreras had the sciatica injury, and then Javy became infamous for his 6th inning blowups. Freddy pitched terrible from like June through August. It looked like they'd be OK because Buehrle was cruising in the first half, and then he got destroyed against the Cubs and it just killed any shred of confidence he had the rest of the season. Garland was really the anchor of that rotation for like a month and a half period, and he was still a 4.50 ERA pitcher. The bullpen went to absolute s*** (though Williams did what he could...Thornton was actually a breath of fresh air that year). It all looked like it would work out because they'd only have to play slightly above .500 ball the rest of the way and that was something the offense could take care of, and they'd end up in the playoffs as at least a wild card. But then THAT went to hell and they couldn't hit anything, and then the Twins played like .750 ball for like a 4 month period and ended up moving past both the Tigers and the Sox.

I've never seen a team completely implode within itself quite like that. It was just a huge blow. The previous year, everything worked out in the end and they caught all the breaks; that 2006 team was the exact opposite.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
2006 really, really sucked

They were easily the most dominant team in the league in the first half. But Contreras had the sciatica injury, and then Javy became infamous for his 6th inning blowups. Freddy pitched terrible from like June through August. It looked like they'd be OK because Buehrle was cruising in the first half, and then he got destroyed against the Cubs and it just killed any shred of confidence he had the rest of the season. Garland was really the anchor of that rotation for like a month and a half period, and he was still a 4.50 ERA pitcher. The bullpen went to absolute s*** (though Williams did what he could...Thornton was actually a breath of fresh air that year). It all looked like it would work out because they'd only have to play slightly above .500 ball the rest of the way and that was something the offense could take care of, and they'd end up in the playoffs as at least a wild card. But then THAT went to hell and they couldn't hit anything, and then the Twins played like .750 ball for like a 4 month period and ended up moving past both the Tigers and the Sox.

I've never seen a team completely implode within itself quite like that. It was just a huge blow. The previous year, everything worked out in the end and they caught all the breaks; that 2006 team was the exact opposite.

I voted 1984....and I would have voted 2004 if there was that option.

But 2006 was my third choice. Their SP's blew it for them, but I gave them a pass for tiring out because of the 2005 workload. I was obviously crushed, but I could at least empathize. Nobody blew 2006 more than Buehrle.

Edited by Pale Sox

well considering this year isnt over and there is still a chance they could get right, I have to vote for 06.. they were cruising and then ended up in 3rd when it was all said and done.. coming off the World Series and the way they started, that was extremely dissappointing.. at least this year they've pretty much been bad consistently so far

Maybe it's a short memory, but I had to vote for this year. This team is dead. Every day I expect them to turn it around, and it just gets worse. But, I keep watching. I'm a glutton for punishment, and there's still a glimmer of hope...I hope.

I voted this year. Greatest disparity between "on paper" talent and on field performance I have EVER seen to this point.

The 2007 team may have been crappier, but how "disappointed" can you really be with a roster featuring Andy Gonzalez, Ryan Buckvich, Jerry Owens, Luis Terrerro, Erstad, Mackowiak, etc. That team had a good core, but was loaded with stiffs.

Runner up for me is '84; coming off a runaway division title with just about everyone back and adding Tom Seaver.

1995 was bad too. As was astutely pointed out by somebody last night, the Sox fired their manager (despite 2 years of past successes) for getting off to the same start as this year, and that team had just given away its Ace (Black Jack) and had 2 has beens (Sabo and Kruk) at DH.