Most disappointing Sox team

caulfield12

Which Sox team has most disappointed you?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Sox disappointments

• 1967 White Sox
    • 1977 White Sox
    • 1984 White Sox
    • 1994 White Sox (strike season)
    • 2001 White Sox
    • 2003 White Sox
    • 2006 White Sox
    • 2009-10 White Sox
    • 2011 White Sox
    • 1997 White Sox (White Flag I Year)

Was that the crazy extra innings game against Boston where we got to Papelbon big-time?

I guess that will go down as the high water mark for KW and the current regime....and hopefully yesterday as the low. But check back in 2 weeks after our trip's over. We might be no hit 2-3 more times.

Or go on a 9-3 run and convince a few we might be able to get back into it like last year. Just don't see it happening twice.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
2006...that was a great, exciting team up until Iguchi's game winning single heading into the ASB.

The 3 games from 06 I can think of that I have very unfond memories for

1) The Iguchi 3-run and then game tying grand slam that they ended up losing to Houston. They'd beaten Houston 6 straight and losing that game where they looked invincible hurt, even if it was a monumental comeback.

2) The Buehrle Cubs game that I referenced above.

3) A Javy start against the Twins...I'm thinking it was in June, because my dad and I were going to Wal-Mart for something down at USD and it was at night, and the Sox had a comfortable lead in the 6th. I told my dad about Javy's 6th inning blowups, we went into Wal-Mart, and came back out just in time to hear Torii Hunter (I think) go yard off of Riske, and it was like Riske's first or second game with the Sox. Javy had gotten into the trouble in the first place.

I think the poll assumes we woud have won seasons marked as disappointing. The '67 and '77 teasm competed to the end basically with far less talent then other teams. Can't blame the '94 yeam for a strike. Sure they were disappointing years but for other reasons

I don't know why for me:

Javy blowing a huge lead against the Blue Jays, I think up there. I just remember it so well because I was staying at a hostel near Machu Picchu and I couldn't believe I was wasting my time with Javy.

Craig Monroe hitting homers off Aardsma and Javy, the latter on ESPN.

The Red Sox series before the break.

Absolutely trouncing the Cardinals.

There was a 2 week period in August when Jenks was hurting and we were averaging about 2 runs scored per game, not unlike our current funk.

The most significant game to me, Jose losing his winning streak and getting injured against the Reds on the road. That was the beginning of the end.

Numerous losses to the Twins' buzzsaw down the stretch.

Not including incomplete seasons, otherwise this would easily be '94 for me, 2006 was unquestionably the most disappointing. All the momentum from '05. A seemingly better roster than '05. A dominating start in which the offense bludgeoned teams to death and had us 57-30 at the break. That was our year to really just take over the city and truly put ourselves among the truly elite organizations in sports. Not just baseball. It didn't have to be another title. Though that would've been nice. Another deep playoff run and we're in that rarefied air. But the second half came. Pitching fell apart, offense fell off, Ozzie couldn't do a thing about it, KW didn't upgrade and the rest is pretty much history.

Shocked no votes for 2003. That team was absolutely stacked. Absolute murderer's row of a line-up with Thomas, Konerko, Ordonez, Lee and Everett. Starting pitching was Loaiza in his near Cy Young year to go along with Colon, Mark, and Garland. That roster should have been winning the World Series. Instead they won 86 games and lost out to a pretty awful Twins team. Konerko was just dreadful that year and we had no semblance of a 5 starter. Those were our downfalls.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
Shocked no votes for 2003. That team was absolutely stacked. Absolute murderer's row of a line-up with Thomas, Konerko, Ordonez, Lee and Everett. Starting pitching was Loaiza in his near Cy Young year to go along with Colon, Mark, and Garland. That roster should have been winning the World Series. Instead they won 86 games and lost out to a pretty awful Twins team. Konerko was just dreadful that year and we had no semblance of a 5 starter. Those were our downfalls.

Nicely done, but a year in which we have a pitcher set the prestigious Mexican strikeout record can't be considered disappointing.

Edited by fathom

I voted for 2006.

2011 will probably be more disappointing, but I can't vote for it yet. It's still only May 4, and there are still about 130 games left to be played. I don't think they will be successfull, but it is too early for me to call the entire season a disappointment.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
2006...that was a great, exciting team up until Iguchi's game winning single heading into the ASB.

That was like a 14-inning game against the Red Sox right? Single down the third base line?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
For anyone old enough it has to be 1984. That team just collapsed out of no where.

Absolutely. Seaver was supposed to get us over the hump. Nobody foresaw Britt Burns flaming out or our reigning Cy Young winner developing a coke habit.

Off the top of my head, I'd pick '04. The Twins weren't very good and the Sox were pounding like nobody's biz. We even had some pitching.

Then, end of the summer...it all ended. And BAD. That was f***ing disappointing. Mags had a thing....gone. Loaiza, traded. Caballo gone. That was a s***ty, s***ty disappointment for a year where the Sox actually got noticed by the Eastern Sports Propaganda Network for kicking ass. The whole bat flip/show up thing was really started in baseball that year...because of us, kicking ass.

Also, Mags had a shaved head.

I loved that f***ing team, too.

We knew Ozzie, but he wasn't a s***ty, douche yet.

Anybody who picked 06 is an idiot. That team rocked. 90 Ws, tired SP....Ozzie starting to act up. Performed anyway, with NO starting pitching....

2nd worst for me would be the 2000 team.

One and done is just...like Twins, behavior.

The '08 team is not a disappointment because they were the beginning of the whole "just enough to get by" crap I see now. They sucked. TCQ.... hurt himself on his own bat! TB made us look stupid; I knew they would, that year took 163 to win and we shouldn't have been there anyway. Blackout was cool but we really did suck.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
Anybody who picked 06 is an idiot. That team rocked. 90 Ws, tired SP....Ozzie starting to act up. Performed anyway, with NO starting pitching....

The single most disappointing game I can think of for the Sox in recent memory was in 2006, down the stretch, against the Twins, JD homered off Nathan to tie the game, then they went back into the doldrums and lost in Extras.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
The single most disappointing game I can think of for the Sox in recent memory was in 2006, down the stretch, against the Twins, JD homered off Nathan to tie the game, then they went back into the doldrums and lost in Extras.

That game is etched into my brain for eternity. It was a Saturday and we lost 9-7. I hate 2006.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
That game is etched into my brain for eternity. It was a Saturday and we lost 9-7. I hate 2006.

I've got a few others etched into my memory from that year too, that one's just the worst. The game in Baltimore with Contreras on the mound where Mackowiak single-handedly cost 3-4 runs and 2 innings of work for Contreras in CF. The day where Ozzie said "Anderson's my CF" and then 2 days later was on the bench again. The Buehrle 10 run inning.