My 5 year grace period has expired...

Steve9347

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
How about when proven talent turns 35?

So you'd fire Bill Smith as Twins' GM before KW?

Just curious. Because they went all internal to replace Guerrier/Rauch/Fuentes/Guerrier, took a big risk with Nishioka's contract, didn't have any back-up plan for Casilla/Tolbert at SS, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 4, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
How about when proven talent turns 35?

Only PK and Castro are that old. AJP is 34. The vast majority of our lineup and rotation are in the prime of their careers.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 4, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Only PK and Castro are that old. AJP is 34. The vast majority of our lineup and rotation are in the prime of their careers.

Pierre is also clearly past his prime, especially with all that wear and tear on his body from the stolen bases and clearly has lost 2-3 steps in a decade. Dunn's also on the downside of his prime seasons, although still relatively young.

And we have to assume Teahen and Beckham still have primes in front of them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Pierre is also clearly past his prime, especially with all that wear and tear on his body from the stolen bases and clearly has lost 2-3 steps in a decade. Dunn's also on the downside of his prime seasons, although still relatively young.

Dunn is only 31. He should still be mega-productive at that age. Quentin and Rios are in their late 20's, so no excuses there either. Four of our 5 starters are also under the age of 30.

This team's problem isn't age. It's production.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 4, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
I have a difficult time blaming the GM for proven talent not getting it done on the field.

He has been here for a decade and what's continually the weakest division in the AL, we have two playoff appearances. Even with our WS, that was five years ago -- the results just haven't been there.

It's time for him to go.

I don't understand the obsession with having to put the blame on a single entity. When someone says it's Ozzie's fault, another person has to argue that it's more on KW. When someone puts it on KW, someone says it's more on the individual players, etc. ;)

Who cares who's got the most share of the blame? I certainly don't anymore.

This team has underachieved far too much for far too long. Nobody's job should be safe at this point, not a single person in the front office/coaching staff/lineup.

I don't give a s*** if Ozzie Guillen deserves one half of a percentage point more of the blame than Williams. I just don't give a flying f*** about either of them or any of the players and coaches. They can all get f***ed and I hope to see some wholesale changes as soon as possible.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 4, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
I have a difficult time blaming the GM for proven talent not getting it done on the field.

The problem is that being a GM is an inexact science, and every move you make is inherently a gamble, even with "proven" veterans. KW has lost (or is losing) just about every trade or move he's made since about the 2007 off season. Eventually, you just need to accept that maybe your GM just doesn't have "it" anymore and move on.

Am I going to blame KW for every individual thing that has gone wrong with this team? No. He certainly deserves a lot of the blame, though (see: moves KW has made in the last 3 years).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't understand the obsession with having to put the blame on a single entity. When someone says it's Ozzie's fault, another person has to argue that it's more on KW. When someone puts it on KW, someone says it's more on the individual players, etc. ;)

This team has underachieved far too much for far too long. Nobody's job should be safe at this point, not a single person in the front office/coaching staff/lineup.

I don't give a s*** if Ozzie Guillen deserves one half of a percentage point more of the blame than Williams. I just don't give a flying f*** about either of them or any of the players and coaches. They can all get f***ed and I hope to see some wholesale changes as soon as possible.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

I don't understand the need to infer what was not written. I think the state of the 2011 White Sox is a collaborative effort.

I, however, have stated my undying love for Kenny on many an occassion, and I am finally posting that he's on my hot seat and he needs to be heald accountable for his off-the-wall spending.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 4, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I don't understand the need to infer what was not written. I think the state of the 2011 White Sox is a collaborative effort.

I, however, have stated my undying love for Kenny on many an occassion, and I am finally posting that he's on my hot seat and he needs to be heald accountable for his off-the-wall spending.

Nicely played :lolhitting

I wasn't just saying that stuff in reference to you, though. These types of threads always lead to people getting into arguments over who needs to be blamed more. I'm saying that it doesn't even matter at this point. Clean house.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 4, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
He has been here for a decade and what's continually the weakest division in the AL, we have two playoff appearances. Even with our WS, that was five years ago -- the results just haven't been there.

It's time for him to go.

That's a very simplistic way to look at it. He's put competitive teams on the field for much of his 10+ years as GM, and that's his job. The on-field TALENT is clearly there. In the past two years, he's added Dunn, Jackson, Peavy, and Rios (not to mention Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Alexei prior to that). So it's difficult to argue that he's not giving the coaching staff enough to work with. If anything, Kenny's problem is that he hasn't fired the coaching staff. But I don't know how much control he has over that, especially with JR being so loyal to Ozzie.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)

It's time for him to go.

Not only that...Kenny has had a larger payroll to work with.

I am of the opinion, that some GMs work better with a more limited payroll

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 4, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
The last front office-type figure that I can recall being fired for subpar performance was fired because he got f***ing indicted, so that doesn't really count.

Larry Himes got fired after he built a team that won 94 games with the lowest payroll in baseball.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)

I am whitesoxfan101 and I approve of this message. Couldn't have said it better myself.