• Fire if still bad at the ASB
    • Fire at end of season if no post-season
    • Keep him indefinitely
  2. 2. What do you do with Walker?

• Fire now
    • Fire if offense still bad at the ASB
    • Fire at end of season if no post-season
    • Keep him indefinitely

If the season is obviously over before the actual end of the season, I still want them fired. I know it wouldn't make a difference to the season because it would already be over, but the vindictive side of me wants them thrown out during the year for the added kick in the ass.

Sure. I don't think many guys here would object to that at all. In fact, I'll just go ahead and say on behalf of "many guys here", let's kick some asses out.

:)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the whole approach. Even if Mitchell and Trayce Thompson have all the raw talent in the world, I'm not a firm believer at all in Buddy Bell's ability to develop them.

He was a horrible MLB manager. Why would he be so much more well-suited to work with our minor leaguers? I guess having lived in KC at the time of his "reign," I'm not much of a fan. My opinions of Teahen and Bell run in tandem. In fact, it's fairly certain without Bell here we never would have reached out for Teahen and some of the Royals rejects that have worked so well.

Buddy Bell has been in charge what - 3 years?

I really don't feel like we feature anything at the minors like other teams do. We have to rely on KW to do that. Like...McCarthy. KW knew he sucked, but he got the whole league to believe that straight meatball was awesome.

Total ripoff job he pulled but not because Brandon was good..... Because KW was.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Sure. I don't think many guys here would object to that at all. In fact, I'll just go ahead and say on behalf of "many guys here", let's kick some asses out.

:)

I will celebrate like no other when Ozzie gets s***canned. I don't care what day it is. I will go out and party.

Fire KW.

Fire Ozzie.

Fire Walker.

Promote Hahn to GM.

Let Cora be interim GM, and see if he can be a full-time manager.

And two the naive people defending KW, he has won two divisions in ten years as GM -- and that's with the divisions highest payroll year in and year out.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Fire KW.

Fire Ozzie.

Fire Walker.

Promote Hahn to GM.

Let Cora be interim GM, and see if he can be a full-time manager.

And two the naive people defending KW, he has won two divisions in ten years as GM -- and that's with the divisions highest payroll year in and year out.

And two [sic] the naive...

How many of the fewer spenders in the divison have a World Championship in those 10 years?

I remember 04 and I REALLY remember what I felt about the 04 offseason going into 05. I thought we'd be dead last. El Caballo for Pods, Crazy Carl, a bunch of Yankee reject relief pitchers, Contreras, Loaiza gone....etc....

I was wrong as s***.

Ozzie wasn't even an Ozzie, then. He only became one because of KW.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 4, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Buddy Bell has been in charge what - 3 years?

I really don't feel like we feature anything at the minors like other teams do. We have to rely on KW to do that. Like...McCarthy. KW knew he sucked, but he got the whole league to believe that straight meatball was awesome.

Total ripoff job he pulled but not because Brandon was good..... Because KW was.

You do realize that McCarthy has a 3.05 ERA this year so far right?

His problem was never suckitude. It was always going to be health from day 1. He stays healthy and he can get people out. He hasn't stayed healthy since we traded him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)

His problem was never suckitude. It was always going to be health from day 1. He stays healthy and he can get people out. He hasn't stayed healthy since we traded him.

He's going to be the benefactor of a great ballpark to pitch in and a chance to learn some things from some great pitchers. I'm following him pretty closely this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Serious question... If the season is over why send down guys like Sale, Beckham and Morel? Play them. Let them learn and make mistakes. Sending them down is counter to the idea the season is over, and implies we are still playing for this year.

Sale could get innings as a starter/stretched out until one of the other starters is moved, and Beckham, well, it's worth trying something new to get through to him.

Well, 2 things:

First, his ERA looks great because of a CG in Seattle. Take that game out, ERA goes up (still good though, for 6 games).

Second, not being healthy is what makes him...suck. Who gives a s*** about a low ERA starter if he can't stay healthy enough to, y'know... pitch?

Now that I look, even the 2 seasons where he was healthy (06, 07 - appeared in at least close to 30 games or mroe), ERA of nearly 5, WHIP is high, SO/BB flat, etc.

It's obvious to everyone that Ozzie has lost this team. They do not respond to him. His attempts at deflecting attention from the media and getting tossed from games have no affect and the team looks like it's going through the motions. I just don't get why anyone thinks he still has value for this organization. Let go of 2005.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
Serious question... If the season is over why send down guys like Sale, Beckham and Morel? Play them. Let them learn and make mistakes. Sending them down is counter to the idea the season is over, and implies we are still playing for this year.

Well, with Sale....I guess they could do the Buehrle 2000 thing where they convert him into a long man and gradually ease him into longer and longer outings and spot starts.

Most would prefer he start every 5th day in Charlotte, though. Would putting him in the minors for 2-3 months affect his arbitration status if he came back to start for good in July or August after a possible Jackson, Danks or Buehrle trade?

With McCarthy, as has been mentioned, the issue was always his mechanics and staying healthy. He did have a pretty straight fastball, and he originally featured that big curveball but he's changed his repertoire quite a bit in the last 2-3 years while recovering from all the injuries.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
Most would prefer he start every 5th day in Charlotte, though. Would putting him in the minors for 2-3 months affect his arbitration status if he came back to start for good in July or August after a possible Jackson, Danks or Buehrle trade?

No, it wouldn't affect his arbitration status. Sending him down for the full year *Might*.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
Well, 2 things:

First, his ERA looks great because of a CG in Seattle. Take that game out, ERA goes up (still good though, for 6 games).

Second, not being healthy is what makes him...suck. Who gives a s*** about a low ERA starter if he can't stay healthy enough to, y'know... pitch?

Now that I look, even the 2 seasons where he was healthy (06, 07 - appeared in at least close to 30 games or mroe), ERA of nearly 5, WHIP is high, SO/BB flat, etc.

So then Jake Peavy really sucks, because at least McCarthy wasn't playing with house money for those 3 seasons.

Any pitcher is going to suffer pitching in Texas, just like pitching half his games in the Coliseum works to his benefit, or PetCo for Richard.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
And two [sic] the naive...

How many of the fewer spenders in the divison have a World Championship in those 10 years?

I remember 04 and I REALLY remember what I felt about the 04 offseason going into 05. I thought we'd be dead last. El Caballo for Pods, Crazy Carl, a bunch of Yankee reject relief pitchers, Contreras, Loaiza gone....etc....

I was wrong as s***.

Ozzie wasn't even an Ozzie, then. He only became one because of KW.

I still think the Garcia trade in 2004 was the key, along with Contreras.

Of course, you also have to add in AJ, Dye (coming off a serious leg injury), Iguchi and Hermanson, to name just a few.

Yesterday, this is what I would have done.

To Charlotte: Morel, Beckham

Released or traded: Pierre

Recalled: Viciedo, McPherson (backup to 3b), Peavy.

Let Vizquel and Lillibridge platoon at 2b, hit leadoff.

Quentin to LF. Viciedo to RF.

Trade: Edwin Jackson; so that Jake Peavy could take his spot.

In a heartbeat, if the Yankees called us about Jackson, I would consider a trade. Maybe getting one of their stud catching prospects, if that's a possibility.

AJ and Jackson to NYY for ?????

*Sigh* I know I'm stating this off the top of my head and ranting, but oh well. At least try to change it up somehow.

While I hold Pierre in higher regard than probably anyone else here, I think a quick fix is to call up Dayan and give him starts in LF. If an outsider looked at his MLB stats from last year and saw he still wasn't playing with us, they'd be shocked. He's been hot if you check his last 10 game stats in Charlotte. The only unknown is if his OF defense hasn't progressed enough to put him out there yet.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 6, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
While I hold Pierre in higher regard than probably anyone else here, I think a quick fix is to call up Dayan and give him starts in LF. If an outsider looked at his MLB stats from last year and saw he still wasn't playing with us, they'd be shocked. He's been hot if you check his last 10 game stats in Charlotte. The only unknown is if his OF defense hasn't progressed enough to put him out there yet.

Not gonna happen unless Ozzie is gone... Reason #46 why he should no longer be manager

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 6, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Yesterday, this is what I would have done.

To Charlotte: Morel, Beckham

Released or traded: Pierre

Recalled: Viciedo, McPherson (backup to 3b), Peavy.

Let Vizquel and Lillibridge platoon at 2b, hit leadoff.

Quentin to LF. Viciedo to RF.

Trade: Edwin Jackson; so that Jake Peavy could take his spot.

In a heartbeat, if the Yankees called us about Jackson, I would consider a trade. Maybe getting one of their stud catching prospects, if that's a possibility.

AJ and Jackson to NYY for ?????

*Sigh* I know I'm stating this off the top of my head and ranting, but oh well. At least try to change it up somehow.

If we're to bring up McPherson, it's for POSSIBLE offensive output. In any scenario, McPherson or Teahen should play close to everyday. They're not going to eat Mark's contract yet, and they aren't going to designate Lilli or Vizquel for assignment. Realistically, they should try to trade Vizquel to a contending team so he has the opportunity to go to the playoffs before he retires.

I don't think we'd dare switch Quentin to LF defensively in the middle of the season, he's playing much better this season than last IMO in RF.

We can't trade Jackson at his low point (one good start after 3 bad/shaky ones) and if Peavy goes back on the DL, we've created yet another problem. You dangle Buehrle, Jackson and Danks soon to see what's out there, and hold on to see what develops in June and July. Undoubtedly, their returns will go up as more starters are injured or non-perform for contenders like the Yanks. Does anyone actually believe Garcia and Colon will end up lasting the whole year?

The already have Martin and Posada is their DH. They would have little interest in adding AJ, plus they have catching prospects aplenty.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
I think that you have to keep A. J. to handle the pitching staff. Changing in mid season would be very problematical

Castro could handle the job cabably, but he isn't up to catching the bulk of the schedule.

If the team doesn't recover by June and someone will take aj, you don't worry about that. Half those pitchers will be leaving too

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
I think that you have to keep A. J. to handle the pitching staff. Changing in mid season would be very problematical

Castro could handle the job cabably, but he isn't up to catching the bulk of the schedule.

AJ "handling the pitching staff" is such a myth. AJ is horrible at every aspect of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
If the team doesn't recover by June and someone will take aj, you don't worry about that. Half those pitchers will be leaving too

Yes, if they hold a "fire sale" and trade "half" the staff, you're right.