Juan Pierre

Special K

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Pierre will be leading off for the foreseeable future:

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Left fielder Juan Pierre received his strongest support from the man who makes out the lineup card -- Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Even after getting picked off first base in the first inning and grounding into two double plays that killed rallies in the third and fifth, Pierre will remain in the Sox's lineup, according to Guillen.

“One thing about Juan.” Guillen said. “You’re going to see the same (effort Monday night). He’s going to go out and play the game, play the game right. When you play every day, you’re going to go through tough times.

“He’ll be there batting first again. I don’t worry about him because he’s a professional. He will battle. That’s not the first time he’s been through it. He’ll find a way.”

Pierre has four hits in his past 29 at-bats, and his batting average has dipped from .266 to .242.

Also, there's apparently no reason to call up Viciedo:

But manager Ozzie Guillen knows it's best for Viciedo, 22, to play every day.

"You look around and where am I going to play him?" Guillen said Sunday. "He's got to play every day."

Honestly, KW needs to DFA Pierre soon or we'll be stuck with him leading off until it's too late.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Well, I'll give Ozzie credit..."He's got to play everyday" is 100% the right statement, even if its said for the wrong reason.

Agreed. I want DV up here badly, but Oz is 100% right that he needs to play every day when he's called up. Now, that should be the case, but since it appears it wouldn't be right now he does need to keep playing in Charlotte. Reasoning is awful, but calling him up just to sit the bench would just be another mistake.

Somewhat unrelated, I just read through some of the original Pierre trade thread out of curiosity...definitely some interesting posts in there.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 16, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Well obviously Crawford is the best of those players by far. And Pierre is certainly not the worst player in baseball either. What's your point?

You said they were the 2 worst players and I wanted to know whether or not you believed that????

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 16, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
You said they were the 2 worst players and I wanted to know whether or not you believed that????

This season, yes, they are (actually were, since the numbers were updated last night) the two worst players in baseball this season, and yes, I believe it....why wouldn't I?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 16, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
This season, yes, they are (actually were, since the numbers were updated last night) the two worst players in baseball this season, and yes, I believe it....why wouldn't I?

I am just trying to see where you are coming from. Would you also say that Lance Berkman is a better hitter than Albert Pujols?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 16, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I am just trying to see where you are coming from. Would you also say that Lance Berkman is a better hitter than Albert Pujols?

It's like you are trying to say this this 40 games in the season defines a whole career or something. Is Berkman having a better season than Pujols? Absolutely. Does that mean Berkman is the better overall player than Pujols? Not even close, it just means exactly what I said, that Berkman is having a better season so far. Believe it or not, but players don't have to perform to their expectations or career norms.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 16, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
It's like you are trying to say this this 40 games in the season defines a whole career or something. Is Berkman having a better season than Pujols? Absolutely. Does that mean Berkman is the better overall player than Pujols? Not even close, it just means exactly what I said, that Berkman is having a better season so far. Believe it or not, but players don't have to perform to their expectations or career norms.

I didn't say anything, I was asking you to clarify what you said.

D Tank V has a season changing bat. Yes he could bust out, but man, that bat is frickin electric. I'll take Tank's .305 OBP over JP's career OBP even though it's probably 40 points worse. Shoe string homers? Caaaaaaaaaaamon already KW. Let this Vlad/Thomas hybrid play some ball.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
D Tank V has a season changing bat. Yes he could bust out, but man, that bat is frickin electric. I'll take Tank's .305 OBP over JP's career OBP even though it's probably 40 points worse. Shoe string homers? Caaaaaaaaaaamon already KW. Let this Vlad/Thomas hybrid play some ball.

Comparing DV to a guy with Thomas's eye for the strike zone is flat out unfair.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Comparing DV to a guy with Thomas's eye for the strike zone is flat out unfair.

I think that's why he combined him with Vlad since Vlad has been known to swing at anything. While any comparisons to a player like Frank are premature and ambitious, the ball certainly jumps off his bat like Frank.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
I think that's why he combined him with Vlad since Vlad has been known to swing at anything. While any comparisons to a player like Frank are premature and ambitious, the ball certainly jumps off his bat like Frank.

I can deal with a Vlad comparison, but making statements that ignore or denigrate #35's legendary eye and knowledge of the strike zone grinds my gears.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Who would you compare Juan Pierre to at this stage of his career? Some past player?

I'd say Rock Raines when he finally couldn't hit or steal anymore.

A LF version of Andy Gonzalez, zero tool player

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
A LF version of Andy Gonzalez, zero tool player

Gonzalez's tool was the versatility of sucking at 5-6 different positions.

If Joe McEwing's the new manager, we'll have Jose Oquendo as our 3B coach and a team of Flying Gonzalezes and/or Molinas who have changed their names from Angel to Andy.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 16, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Agreed. I want DV up here badly, but Oz is 100% right that he needs to play every day when he's called up. Now, that should be the case, but since it appears it wouldn't be right now he does need to keep playing in Charlotte. Reasoning is awful, but calling him up just to sit the bench would just be another mistake.

Somewhat unrelated, I just read through some of the original Pierre trade thread out of curiosity...definitely some interesting posts in there.

Ozzie's logic is insane here. This team has underachieved to an embarrassing degree. It's beyond obvious that Pierre is killing this team and the answer is crushing the ball in AAA.

The privilege of pride belongs to teams at or above .500...

I'm going to just keep rooting for Viciedo to force the Sox to bring him up. If he hits well enough, and plays acceptable defense, someone in the organization will see to it that he is given a chance to play, and the obvious odd man out would be Pierre. They're not going to play Viciedo at 3RD.

That might provide Ozzie with an excuse to bench J. P. He can spin it that it's more a matter of Viciedo needing an opportunity rather than Pierre earning a demotion.

If and when he gets a shot in either LF or RF, I don't much care who they let lead off. I still like the idea of getting Lillibridge in the mix. He would be very serviceable at 2ND, with Vizquel or Beckham taking over at 3RD.