Hawk

oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
....Something like This is the most talented team to ever play this badly this long? I think he's losing it; tough to be a homer 24/7 with this bunch.

He might be right. How many teams even play this badly this long?

....Something like This is the most talented team to ever play this badly this long? I think he's losing it; tough to be a homer 24/7 with this bunch.

That statement isn't that far off. That's why I still feel like they'll come around.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
What's so wrong with that statement?

Uh, talented? I don't think so. This is not a talented team. They prove it almost every day. And Hawk is being Hawk when he tries to convince his audience that they are indeed talented. They were overrated from the beginning. I don't think they are in a slump; they are playing to their level of skill. Talent is not defined by your paycheck. That said, I am interested in the exact quote, if anyone else caught it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Uh, talented? I don't think so. This is not a talented team. They prove it almost every day. And Hawk is being Hawk when he tries to convince his audience that they are indeed talented. They were overrated from the beginning. I don't think they are in a slump; they are playing to their level of skill. Talent is not defined by your paycheck. That said, I am interested in the exact quote, if anyone else caught it.

So they were playing above their level of skill for their entire careers before this point?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
So they were playing above their level of skill for their entire careers before this point?

If you mean current skill level?

Rios? Yes.

Dunn? Yes

Pierre? Yes

AJ? Probably

Ramirez? No

Beckham? Yes

Thornton? Yes

Konerko? No

Peavy? Yes

Buehrle? Probably

Omar? Yes

Teahen? Yes

Morel? NA

Q? No

This is not a talented bunch.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)

So Adam Dunn's 8 straight seasons of 38+ HRs was all luck, no skill?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
So Adam Dunn's 8 straight seasons of 38+ HRs was all luck, no skill?

No, but 6-8 years ago he was most likely a better hitter than he is now.

This is a team that many around baseball picked to win their division at the minimum. No one seriously would have picked them for last place. The difference between what they were expected to play by the majority of baseball experts and what they are currently playing at, makes them about the best team to play this poorly. But of course some people here are much smarter than those that are paid to prognosticate.

Sounds like a pretty accurate statement. This team is playing way below their talent level, and it's been going on for a long time. I don't read that he's saying it's one of the most talented teams ever but rather that they've been playing badly for a long time and there's not a lot of explanation because of the level of talent.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)

There is nothing to do but laugh at this. There is a ginormous difference between having talent and playing up to your talent. This team has talent. Ask anyone who follows baseball for a living about how much talent the Sox have and they will tell you. The talent level of this team is not the worst in baseball. In fact talent wise they are way closer to the top, than the bottom of baseball. Thinking they have no talent is nothing more than a bitter, irrational reaction to the way this team has played so far this year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
If you mean current skill level?

Rios? Yes.

Dunn? Yes

Pierre? Yes

AJ? Probably

Ramirez? No

Beckham? Yes

Thornton? Yes

Konerko? No

Peavy? Yes

Buehrle? Probably

Omar? Yes

Teahen? Yes

Morel? NA

Q? No

This is not a talented bunch.

You are freakin absurd.

I think we got Space Jammed- someone stole all of the talent from the team. Someone call up MJ.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
His numbers from 6-8 years ago are almost the same as his numbers from last year.

Plus his numbers could have easily been inflated due to the fact that he was playing in the ballpark in Cincinnati. The dude is country strong (think he got phrase to describe him more than anyone I've ever seen or heard), but he's always been a big strikeout guy. He hits homers or strikes out, that's his thing. A guy like him doesn't just change who he is throughout the course of his career.

Hawk always says s*** like that to cover for Sox teams when they're playing bad. He said the same thing in 07 when everything went bad, said he couldn't remember how such a talented team (back then in 07) completely tanked. The Red Sox are more talented then we are and they played like s*** to start the season too.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 5, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
This is a team that many around baseball picked to win their division at the minimum. No one seriously would have picked them for last place. The difference between what they were expected to play by the majority of baseball experts and what they are currently playing at, makes them about the best team to play this poorly. But of course some people here are much smarter than those that are paid to prognosticate.

Hawk also made observations about how he thought certain slumping players seemed to be starting to maybe turn things around. We will see

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
There have been 91 teams in major league history to start the season 11-21. Five have finished over .500 and 2 have made the playoffs. The Sox have their work cut out for them. A bad roadtrip and it really might be over.

One of those two was that 05 Houston team, who started 15-30.

QUOTE (Art Vandelay @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)
He was saying this year's White Sox team is better than the '67 Red Sox.

Ok, Hawk.

I thought the same thing. Looking at the '67 Sawx roster, it's not as outlandish as it sounded. Only Yaz is a great. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1967.shtml I do tire of Hawk making statements like this though.