Kiss of Death? KW denies coach firings are imminent

caulfield12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the season started, one of the biggest concerns was the 5th starter spot with Humber & Peavy's injury. If you would have known that Humber would have a 3.06 ERA and the Sox would be 3-4 in his starts, you would have been estatic about the team's chances.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
When the season started, one of the biggest concerns was the 5th starter spot with Humber & Peavy's injury. If you would have known that Humber would have a 3.06 ERA and the Sox would be 3-4 in his starts, you would have been estatic about the team's chances.

I really didn't think Humber would be this good, but at the same time, I have no illusion about him finishing the season with anywhere close to those kind of numbers either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
I really didn't think Humber would be this good, but at the same time, I have no illusion about him finishing the season with anywhere close to those kind of numbers either.

If Esteban Loaiza could do it, a more talented Humber can too.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)

The guy does have the talent to be a good pitcher, his head just kept getting in the way.

And as a response to this thread. f*** KW.

Loaiza was at a low point in his career then obviously (when we signed him), but the scouts raved about his stuff when he was coming up with the Pirates.

Ofc, Humber was a high profile draft pick, but the Rangers, Jays and a number of teams simply fell in love with Loaiza. He wasn't quite to the level of AJ Burnett in terms of stuff, but he had a nice arsenal/repertoire.

And Loiaza certainly had a lot longer MLB track record as well.

Humber has only one full year of service time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I liked Humber's chances this year more than just about anyone else here, but I won't even go that far.

Buehrle is just not good anymore. I'll take the guy with pretty darn good stuff who is pitching like a stud now over the guy who can't throw above 87 MPH. Buehrle is done being a solid pitcher, at most now, he is average. He is due for a typical Buehrle outing when he gives up 8 runs and his ERA balloons to over 5.

If the Sox had any balls, they would keep Humber in the rotation and move someone else out. Herein lies the problem with the organization, they are so committed to this loyalty and not ruining the status quo s*** that they become an inferior team.

I would easily take Jackson out or Buerhle out for that matter.

We kept AJ outta loyalty. He blows.

We take Humber out of the rotation for loyalty.

We keep Guillen/Walker outta loyalty. They both blow.

I could go on and on.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Buehrle is just not good anymore. I'll take the guy with pretty darn good stuff who is pitching like a stud now over the guy who can't throw above 87 MPH. Buehrle is done being a solid pitcher, at most now, he is average. He is due for a typical Buehrle outing when he gives up 8 runs and his ERA balloons to over 5.

Humber has exactly 7 starts in his major league career, 5 of which have happened in April. I'm not ready to anoint him better than Buehrle quite yet. He has zero track record to go off of, other than potential.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Humber has exactly 7 starts in his major league career, 5 of which have happened in April. I'm not ready to anoint him better than Buehrle quite yet. He has zero track record to go off of, other than potential.

We could trade him for Edwin Jackson's twin brother.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)

We kept AJ because:

- Flowers has not stepped up

- Other available options weren't attractive

- And KW did not want to go into the season with Castro as the starter

Not because of 'loyalty' to AJ.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
We kept AJ because:

Your facts are getting in the way of the anger.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)

Buehrle will finish right around his career norms, he's just fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
If I got the chance to trade Phil Humber for Edwin Jackson, there would be exactly zero hesitation on my side.

I don't think I would, but than again, if I were GM, I wouldn't have traded Huddy for him either. Mainly due to the financial matters.

I like Humber and think there is a shot he could turn into a middle of the rotation starter on the cheap, whom we'd have control of for a few years, and those guys don't grow on trees and can be very valuable to a franchise.

I'm sure he's just saying this.

But if he's not, he's just going to piss off fans even more. And you'll see those crowds of 12,000 dwindle even more.

So go ahead, KW. Keep your coaching staff together. It'll just mean your head at the end of the year.

(It probably will end with KW gone anyway, but making big changes and hoping for a spark is really his only chance anymore)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm sure he's just saying this.

But if he's not, he's just going to piss off fans even more. And you'll see those crowds of 12,000 dwindle even more.

So go ahead, KW. Keep your coaching staff together. It'll just mean your head at the end of the year.

(It probably will end with KW gone anyway, but making big changes and hoping for a spark is really his only chance anymore)

Dude, it's only May 6th. And it can't get any worse.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
If the Sox had any balls, they would keep Humber in the rotation and move someone else out. Herein lies the problem with the organization, they are so committed to this loyalty and not ruining the status quo s*** that they become an inferior team.

I would easily take Jackson out or Buerhle out for that matter.

We take Humber out of the rotation for loyalty.

We keep Guillen/Walker outta loyalty. They both blow.

I could go on and on.

Yep, I've been saying this. But like others have said, I disagree on the AJ part. The rest is true, though.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
We kept AJ because:

Yeah his .573 OPS is quite indicative of being the best on the market. Then you make a trade for someone. He had a .688 OPS last year, there were definitely better options out there. AJ plain blows.

And I should add that he is 3/20 in catching base stealers. There is no part of AJ's game now that is even average. He sucks as a hitter (he is on pace for 15 f***ING WALKS!!), sucks on defense and sadly is durable so he plays all the f***ing time.

It's not a stretch to say we have the worst catcher in baseball. I don't care what our minor league options were, clearly there was a better option in free agency or via trade. It's impossible that there wasn't since AJ is so god damn awful.

Sorry for ranting, I just become so dumbfounded when a player can be on pace to walk 15 times in one season. I just cannot fathom how he plays in the big leagues with that plate approach.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Yeah his .573 OPS is quite indicative of being the best on the market. Then you make a trade for someone. He had a .688 OPS last year, there were definitely better options out there. AJ plain blows.

And I should add that he is 3/20 in catching base stealers. There is no part of AJ's game now that is even average. He sucks as a hitter (he is on pace for 15 f***ING WALKS!!), sucks on defense and sadly is durable so he plays all the f***ing time.

So his performance to this point is indicative of how good the free agent market was over the winter? Uh, ok.