Kiss of Death? KW denies coach firings are imminent

caulfield12

KW loves the status quo, because If one of those guys go then the heat moves to him Mr.Smugass never makes a mistake ask him! JR is ball-less and when they get 8,000 on a summer day I hope he enjoys it because it is what he deserves for being loyal to the extreme!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
So his performance to this point is indicative of how good the free agent market was over the winter? Uh, ok.

My point is that he is the worst catcher in baseball. There were clearly options better than him in free agency or trade. What about AJ's game is there to like?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
My point is that he is the worst catcher in baseball. There were clearly options better than him in free agency or trade. What about AJ's game is there to like?

My point is you are trying to turn today into the free agent market 6 months ago. Unless you are a big Miguel Olivo or Tyler Flowers fan, there really weren't better options out there.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
KW loves the status quo, because If one of those guys go then the heat moves to him Mr.Smugass never makes a mistake ask him! JR is ball-less and when they get 8,000 on a summer day I hope he enjoys it because it is what he deserves for being loyal to the extreme!

Name calling? That is interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
My point is you are trying to turn today into the free agent market 6 months ago. Unless you are a big Miguel Olivo or Tyler Flowers fan, there really weren't better options out there.

John Buck.

Ramon Hernandez.

Miguel Olivo.

Russell Martin.

Yorvit Torrealba.

All were better free agent options.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Russel Martin is doing pretty good for the Yankees. And he's much better defensively than AJ.

He was coming off two straight seasons with down power numbers, but he's much younger than AJ and pretty athletic.

Russel Martin was non-tendered for a reason, the Dodgers didn't want to pay him arb-eligible amounts. He's making $4 million this year and the Yankees thought he was a backup when they signed him. Hell, the Dodgers were one of the teams supposedly in on AJ.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Russel Martin was non-tendered for a reason, the Dodgers didn't want to pay him arb-eligible amounts. He's making $4 million this year and the Yankees thought he was a backup when they signed him. Hell, the Dodgers were one of the teams supposedly in on AJ.

And I would have been perfectly fine with AJ going away. AJ has been bad for a couple years now. Although I was ok with bringing him back, I've wanted an upgrade at catcher for a long time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/05/28530...mes-hosmer.html

The stakes on this road trip just got even more complicated. The Royals are launching a warning shot across the bow of the rest of the AL Central.

It was one thing when we only had to worry about the Twins.

This season, we'd have to jump FOUR teams that now all have a legitimate foundation for ending up as the division winner. We said the Indians aren't real, and maybe they're not, but the Royals have a LOT more talent than the 2003 team that had a 6 1/2 game lead for first place at the ASB.

If any of their pitching phenoms can complement Hosmer and Moustakas, watch out. Soon.

If Mike Montgomery and Duffy can make it (two lefties for their rotation already dominating in AAA), they're a legit contender.

Odorizzi from the Greinke/Brewers deal is also dealing in High A.

Great stuff.

The more things change around the AL Central, the more they stay the same with the Pale Losers.

Dayan Viciedo is starting to rake in AAA, and hasn't been promoted. Why? Oh yeah, because we have Carlos Quentin (who hasn't hit a HR since Apr 22 or an RBI since April 28), Alex Rios (don't get me started) and Juan Pierre (ditto).

But "it's still early in the season"...or, "things are going to turn around".

Since when did we become the Pittsburgh Pirates?

Changes should have been made yesterday. Goodbye Pierre. Say hello to the DL Rios. Say hello to AAA Beckham and Morel. DO SOMETHING INSTEAD OF THE STATUS QUO, BECAUSE CLEARLY, IT'S NOT WORKING.

Morons.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)

Seriously. Good point.

If they get rid of AJ today and called up Donny Lucy or Tyler Flowers, would the catching position be any WORSE than it already is? Seriously???

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
John Buck.

Ramon Hernandez.

Miguel Olivo.

Russell Martin.

Yorvit Torrealba.

All were better free agent options.

IMHO, Torrealba and/or Martin >>>>>> AJ.

I would have signed Torrealba in a heartbeat. Martin too.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 6, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
IMHO, Torrealba and/or Martin >>>>>> AJ.

I would have signed Torrealba in a heartbeat. Martin too.

No one has thought of Torrealba as a full time player since his career started, most he's ever caught is 105 games and he has a career .705 OPS. AJ regularly catches 130+ games, has a .744 career OPS, and his .688 OPS in a terrible year last year was only .017 points worse than Torrealba.

Russell Martin's OPS the last 2 years was .680 and .679, worse than last year's AJ, and he only caught 97 games in 2010 due to health issues. He's also being paid $4 million this year (AJ is getting $2 million this year and $6 million next year, averaging to $4 million).

People would have laughed had we signed either of those guys and declared them to be our starting C.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
And I would have been perfectly fine with AJ going away. AJ has been bad for a couple years now. Although I was ok with bringing him back, I've wanted an upgrade at catcher for a long time.

Why would anyone think that Russell Martin was an upgrade last offseason?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
No one has thought of Torrealba as a full time player since his career started, most he's ever caught is 105 games and he has a career .705 OPS. AJ regularly catches 130+ games, has a .744 career OPS, and his .688 OPS in a terrible year last year was only .017 points worse than Torrealba.

Russell Martin's OPS the last 2 years was .680 and .679, worse than last year's AJ, and he only caught 97 games in 2010 due to health issues. He's also being paid $4 million this year (AJ is getting $2 million this year and $6 million next year, averaging to $4 million).

People would have laughed had we signed either of those guys and declared them to be our starting C.

Ugh, $6 million for next year? He's going to be impossible to move.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Haha, thanks, AJ! But still, it's going to make him very hard to move.

So you pay the $2 million difference and he's a $4 million catcher next year for 1 year, which is what the Yankees were willing to give Martin. Teams with catching problems will be after that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
So you pay the $2 million difference and he's a $4 million catcher next year for 1 year, which is what the Yankees were willing to give Martin. Teams with catching problems will be after that.

Yes. Teams are just going to flock at the opportunity to trade for a 35-year old, noodle-armed catcher sporting a sub-.600 OPS for the bargain rate of $4 million!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:31 AM)
Probably at least as often as a team that opened with the Sox current record actually makes the playoffs. Its happened twice. In history.

All of the people saying "it's only May 6th" need to look closely at the above quoted post. Since expecting a playoff berth is unrealistic now, all I want out of this season is our manager and general manager to be fired. At least something good would come of 2011 if that occurs. Hopefully, KW is gone before the firesale happens in July. It seems like either way, Ozzie is likely to be the first to go. Which is fine by me, I don't care what order they go or who deserves to go first because they should both be gone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Yes. Teams are just going to flock at the opportunity to trade for a 35-year old, noodle-armed catcher sporting a sub-.600 OPS for the bargain rate of $4 million!

Considering that teams were offering him more than that in the offseason...yeah.