Kiss of Death? KW denies coach firings are imminent

caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Considering that teams were offering him more than that in the offseason...yeah.

I'd love to see documented proof of this. Maybe a 1-year, $5 mill deal in hopes he bounced back. He's clearly not bouncing back.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
I'd love to see documented proof of this.

The Los Angeles Dodgers came tantalizingly close to signing free-agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski to a one-year contract before the Chicago White Sox added a second year to their offer, resulting in Pierzynski accepting a two-year, $8 million deal to remain with the White Sox.

A source with knowledge of the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Dodgers were close to a deal last week that would have paid Pierzynski in excess of $4 million to join the Dodgers as the deadline neared for offering a contract to catcher Russell Martin.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Considering that teams were offering him more than that in the offseason...yeah.

THE team offering that, apparently will not be able to meet payroll at the end of the month. I would venture they are no longer interested.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
No one has thought of Torrealba as a full time player since his career started, most he's ever caught is 105 games and he has a career .705 OPS. AJ regularly catches 130+ games, has a .744 career OPS, and his .688 OPS in a terrible year last year was only .017 points worse than Torrealba.

Russell Martin's OPS the last 2 years was .680 and .679, worse than last year's AJ, and he only caught 97 games in 2010 due to health issues. He's also being paid $4 million this year (AJ is getting $2 million this year and $6 million next year, averaging to $4 million).

People would have laughed had we signed either of those guys and declared them to be our starting C.

I agree here. Martin got off to a good start, but lets see what happens. Odd are he's crashing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I agree here. Martin got off to a good start, but lets see what happens. Odd are he's crashing.

He is a better player than what the dodgers got if he's healthy, but he really wore out after heavy use early in his career. He isn't this good, but he was a legit all-star when healthy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
Tonight was just an absoluteyl patetic display of managing by Ozzie. He's doing his best to force JR and KW to get rid of him.

If Ozzie took a s***, lit it on fire and put it on JR's doorstep, I don't even think then he would be fired.

1) Pitching to Smoak with a base open, all of us called it before it happened....EVEN RONGEY ADMITS it's a bad move by Ozzie, lol

2) Leaving Thornton in until he reached almost 40 pitches when he had nothing but a fastball with 2-3 less MPH on it...and Crain was available

3) Beckham getting picked off third, we'll have to wait to see what transpired there...no reason to have a "contact" play on with the infield in (as any ball getting through will easily score the run) and there's ZERO reason why Alexei Ramirez shouldn't have reached 2nd base (so either a brain cramp by Alexei and/or Baines, probably both)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:39 AM)
Tonight was just an absoluteyl patetic display of managing by Ozzie. He's doing his best to force JR and KW to get rid of him.

Why don't they just do it.

The man will be fine. He can be a color analyst for the rest of the season and get another

managing job at season's end.

He will manage 40 years. Just won't be with us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
How many callups happen for teams that don't affect pennant races for each one that does. A handful at best, while the large majority wind up takign a few years.

Bobby Jenks and Miguel Cabrera come to mind. Joba. I'd guess half of good teams have a call-up playing a significant role at the end of the year. It's just the nature of baseball. Predicting which ones will immediately thrive is hard, though.

edit: Bumgarner.

Edited by JorgeFabregas