Heyman "Count on" Danks filling for free agency

southsider2k5

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 6, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
You don't think a qualified GM is going to talk the price down, even a tiny bit, by bringing the record into it? Really?

If an actual GM is using win-loss record in trade discussions I think that GM would get laughed at by every big league team.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
If an actual GM is using win-loss record in trade discussions I think that GM would get laughed at by every big league team.

We're talking about basically two attorneys going after one another. They're going to use every single little aspect to try to get more or give up less.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
And the counter-argument is that Danks would thrive pitching for an offense that actually supported him and gave him more confidence that he wouldn't have to be out there on eggshells worrying about giving up 1 or 2 runs.

Maybe he'd be able to go that extra 1/3 of an inning to suddenly become a valuable pitcher if he had a decent lead

You would hope that K.W. would point out how consistently good Danks has been in his brief career. He has had more quality starts than any Sox pitcher I can remember in recent history.

The Sox have had an incredibly difficult time giving him any run support, even when they were scoring runs for the rest of the staff.

I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go somewhere else for that reason alone.

He is definitely pitched in "hard luck".

Edited by Lillian

He is already getting asked about trades...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

SEATTLE -- John Danks has great familiarity with the aggressive manner in which White Sox general manager Ken Williams operates.

It was Williams who acquired Danks from the Rangers as part of a five-player trade just before Christmas of 2006 and gave him a chance to thrive in the White Sox rotation. Danks also understands how Williams could be just as aggressive with potential moves involving this current White Sox roster if fortunes don't improve in the next month to six weeks.

And with Danks holding just one more year of arbitration before he becomes a free agent after the 2012 season, while also figuring to bring back a good talent haul, he could be one of those players on the unwanted trade block, even as a 26-year-old approaching elite pitching status. It's a scenario Danks realizes could exist but doesn't spend much time considering.

"You know, I haven't. I'm more concerned about trying to get that first win more than anything right now," Danks said. "Like I said, it's a part of the game. I've been traded before.

"Obviously I love it here and don't want to be traded. It's something that, you know, if it did happen, I would deal with. But I want to be here, and hopefully we can turn it around so I don't have to worry about it."

Danks holds an 0-5 record entering Tuesday's start in Anaheim, but he has a 3.83 ERA and has deserved a better fate. The White Sox have the worst record in Major League Baseball through 34 games, and while they don't think about Williams breaking up this team, they know the reality exists.

"We all know that's a possibility," Danks said. "That's just the truth. That's just the way it works. That hasn't come up much around here -- as of yet, at least. But you know, we have another month like we did last month and something is going to happen. That's the nature of the beast.

"I'm not a GM by any means, but my opinion, I don't think there's a whole lot of need or want just yet. The season is still early enough that even if Kenny decided to trade some guys away, I don't know there would be many suitors. You have to get a little closer to the [Trade] Deadline.

"I don't think that's a concern around here yet," Danks said. "But like I said, we have to turn it around or else it will be a harsh reality, no doubt."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Wasn't that happening to everyone about this time last year as well?

This is getting tiresome.

And your response will likely concern how tiresome it is to see constant posts about a fire sale or something along those lines.

The fact of the matter is that they failed last year, even after going on a ridiculous run. You continue to make remarks like this, as though last year ended with them coming from a massive deficit to win the division. They came back from a massive deficit only to fail anyway. And this team has an even bigger deficit to overcome.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
And this team has an even bigger deficit to overcome.

uh no they don't..

.5 game behind Minnesota

4 games behind Detroit

I don't care what KC and Cleveland are doing, neither is going to be there at the end of the season..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
I don't care what KC and Cleveland are doing, neither is going to be there at the end of the season..

Other AL Central opponents early in 2005: I don't care what Chicago is doing, they are not going to be there at the end of the season..

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Other AL Central opponents early in 2005: I don't care what Chicago is doing, they are not going to be there at the end of the season..

I can't equate the expectations of the 2005 Sox to the expectations of the 2011 Royals and Indians.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
I can't equate the expectations of the 2005 Sox to the expectations of the 2011 Royals and Indians.

Really? There were analysts predicting us to finish 3rd or 4th that year.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
uh no they don't..

.5 game behind Minnesota

4 games behind Detroit

Haha, OK. I forgot they didn't count. So the Sox should easily be able to pass four teams with a deficit of 10 games while being the worst team in baseball more than a month into the season. Thanks for clearing that up.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Haha, OK. I forgot they didn't count. So the Sox should easily be able to pass four teams with a deficit of 10 games while being the worst team in baseball more than a month into the season. Thanks for clearing that up.

If we're lucky we might be able to roar back and claim the division with 87 wins and get swept in the 1st round.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
If we're lucky we might be able to roar back and claim the division with 87 wins and get swept in the 1st round.

I'm already confident that we won't win this division. We'll probably be lucky to finish at .500, so now I'm actually going to hope that the Indians or Royals win the division.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Think you have the Sox confused with Minnesota

Yes we won 1 championship in the last 90 years or so but we also have been a one and out in every other post season appearance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)

They don't count, until either one of them clinch a spot in the playoffs they are going to finish 4th and 5th in this division.. that's the only possible way I will believe it to happen..

I like how you laugh at everyone else who doesn't think this team is dead, yet you honestly believe this is going to be the worst team in baseball? Especially after last year? Get the hell out of here..

Were 4 games behind our main competition, that's nothing to be quitting on the season about..

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Yes we won 1 championship in the last 90 years or so but we also have been a one and out in every other post season appearance.

True, but the Sox have only been swept once, not 3 straight times. I was also referring to the storming back in the 2nd half and the winning the division title as what Minnesota does, not the Sox.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
They don't count, until either one of them clinch a spot in the playoffs they are going to finish 4th and 5th in this division.. that's the only possible way I will believe it to happen..

I like how you laugh at everyone else who doesn't think this team is dead, yet you honestly believe this is going to be the worst team in baseball? Especially after last year? Get the hell out of here..

Were 4 games behind our main competition, that's nothing to be quitting on the season about..

No, I don't think we'll finish as the absolute worst team in baseball, but we're far from contenders at this point.

f*** dude, even the biggest homers on this site are basically calling the season over.

And why do people keep bringing up last year? I could understand if they mentioned the 2005 Astros or the Rockies teams of the last few seasons, but quit bringing up the 2010 White Sox because they failed despite playing out of their minds. They'd have to play even more out of their minds this season because their deficit is larger (despite your great argument that the Royals and Indians don't count) while having to surpass every other team in the division on the way.