Heyman "Count on" Danks filling for free agency

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
Take a look at the 2012 Free Agent Pitching class, as it currently stands.

Jared Weaver

Matt Cain

Cole Hamels

Zach Greinke

John Danks

Isn't Greinke the only one that the Yankees aren't the best fit for?

I'd be willing to bet that Weaver, Cain, and Hamels are all retained. Of the three, Cain would be the most likely to go.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
I'd be willing to bet that Weaver, Cain, and Hamels are all retained. Of the three, Cain would be the most likely to go.

Agreed. And the Brewers will compete in that lousy division before too long.

No way Hamels leaves. Why would anyone want to leave the best team in baseball to play for a team in decline?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)

No way Hamels leaves. Why would anyone want to leave the best team in baseball to play for a team in decline?

Assloads of money?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)

with the money that Lee and Halladay make, I would bet he is one of the most likely to leave.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
with the money that Lee and Halladay make, I would bet he is one of the most likely to leave.

Don't forget that Ryan Howard's contract explodes. He's making $20 million this year and the next 2, then jumps to $25 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Assloads of money?

Plus Hamels has already won a title, acting as one of the driving forces behind it as the NLCS and WS MVP. He's got nothing to prove and if I were him, I'm taking the money.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Trade Danks to Oakland, didn't they just lose a starter yesterday for the rest of the season?

Could get some decent talent and go back to a 5 man rotation.

Then go after him hard during Free Agency.

You know who I bet they'd want? Humber.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
Plus Hamels has already won a title, acting as one of the driving forces behind it as the NLCS and WS MVP. He's got nothing to prove and if I were him, I'm taking the money.

Plus there's got to be the injury/struggle bug in the back of his mind too, where if he gets to FA healthy and gets the 7 year contract offer, he's set even if the changeup blows up his elbow.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Trade Danks to Oakland, didn't they just lose a starter yesterday for the rest of the season?

Could get some decent talent and go back to a 5 man rotation.

Then go after him hard during Free Agency.

Trade him and then go after him again in FA? Doesn't sound very plausible. The A's did lose Braden. But with Cahill, Anderson, Gio and hopefully B-mac, they're not exactly hurting pitching wise. And their system is kinda down right now, anyway, outside of SS Grant Green.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Trade him and then go after him again in FA? Doesn't sound very plausible. The A's did lose Braden. But with Cahill, Anderson, Gio and hopefully B-mac, they're not exactly hurting pitching wise. And their system is kinda down right now, anyway, outside of SS Grant Green.

How much of that rotation do you expect to stay healthy the rest of the year though?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)

At this point, knowing how fragile a pitchers career can be, you chase the money for sure.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)

Bad example, but it would be following the Jim Thome "plan" from a few years ago. The Sox dump him at the deadline with the thought/plan on bringing him back the next year. Of course that didn't work out, but I don't think that was Thome's fault.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Bad example, but it would be following the Jim Thome "plan" from a few years ago. The Sox dump him at the deadline with the thought/plan on bringing him back the next year. Of course that didn't work out, but I don't think that was Thome's fault.

Like you said, bad example. Thome was not going to command a 5-6 year deal and $75-90 million dollars once he hit FA.

Edited by Jordan4life