Heyman "Count on" Danks filling for free agency

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
True, but the Sox have only been swept once, not 3 straight times. I was also referring to the storming back in the 2nd half and the winning the division title as what Minnesota does, not the Sox.

I got what you were going for, and it was perfect. If someone mentioned a team roaring back in the second half to win their division and then getting swept out of the playoffs, without mentioning a team name, I would have to think the Twins would be the first team on everyone's mind.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I got what you were going for, and it was perfect. If someone mentioned a team roaring back in the second half to win their division and then getting swept out of the playoffs, without mentioning a team name, I would have to think the Twins would be the first team on everyone's mind.

I hear ya but if we can get to a few games over .500 by the AS break we still have a chance. Yes, very optimistic, I know.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
No, I don't think we'll finish as the absolute worst team in baseball, but we're far from contenders at this point.

f*** dude, even the biggest homers on this site are basically calling the season over.

And why do people keep bringing up last year? I could understand if they mentioned the 2005 Astros or the Rockies teams of the last few seasons, but quit bringing up the 2010 White Sox because they failed despite playing out of their minds. They'd have to play even more out of their minds this season because their deficit is larger (despite your great argument that the Royals and Indians don't count) while having to surpass every other team in the division on the way.

Who cares if they failed?

People keep bringing it up because it was still a real lousy start that they came back from.. THAT'S the point, not that they didn't get it done in the end.. Even if this team doesn't get it done in the end, that doesn't change the fact that they can indeed come back from their lousy start..

PS. - Were no longer in last place

QUOTE (T R U @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
Who cares if they failed?

People keep bringing it up because it was still a real lousy start that they came back from.. THAT'S the point, not that they didn't get it done in the end.. Even if this team doesn't get it done in the end, that doesn't change the fact that they can indeed come back from their lousy start..

PS. - Were no longer in last place

Yes, anything can happen. A team could come from 60 games back in the last 60 games of the season conceivably. If a team doesn't, that doesn't change the fact that it can happen.

Yet it's impossible for the Indians or Royals to end up winning the division?

Imagine if the White Sox had had to use 12 players from their AA and AAA rosters this year.

It wouldn't be pretty, it hasn't been for the Twins. Pavano sucks, Morneau's a shadow of his former self, Mauer's new girlfriend is the DL and Young's on the DL as well, THome is ouchy, Cuddyer has something like 0 homers and 4 RBI's (0 for 20 with RISP), they have ZERO middle relief, Nathan has lost his closer's job, Alexi Casilla and Tolbert are getting a ton of AB's along with the likes of Butera and Rene Rivera, Repko, Tosoni, Hoey, Luke Hughes, D. Hughes, Burnett, etc.

This isn't your usual Twins team, that's for sure.

It's a miracle they're not 12-16 games below .500, to be honest.

Blackburn and Liriano were both in danger of losing their spots in the rotation and now they're both on mini-rolls.

Edited by caulfield12

Scott Merkin has a nice article up as part of his MLB notebook. Talks about the down side of baseball being a business and how Danksie loves pitcing here but is aware of KW being uber agressive at trade deadline time or after the season.

Link: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
And the counter-argument is that Danks would thrive pitching for an offense that actually supported him and gave him more confidence that he wouldn't have to be out there on eggshells worrying about giving up 1 or 2 runs.

Then again there may be guys with great stats but mediocre W-L, and they are still mediocre in the win column when going to a different team that is not the Yankees. Some guys just win when they are on the mound. So many Sox fans believe that about Peavy. There is that mental aspect of the game a certain player brings to a team. How do they fare against division rivals? How many times against the Twins is it that this whole team shows no mental toughness? I find it odd that fans look to Jake Peavy for this and no one else. I think you have to take some consideration with wins and losses.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Then again there may be guys with great stats but mediocre W-L, and they are still mediocre in the win column when going to a different team that is not the Yankees. Some guys just win when they are on the mound. So many Sox fans believe that about Peavy. There is that mental aspect of the game a certain player brings to a team. How do they fare against division rivals? How many times against the Twins is it that this whole team shows no mental toughness? I find it odd that fans look to Jake Peavy for this and no one else. I think you have to take some consideration with wins and losses.

John danks does not make the team not score runs for Danks.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

Like in 2008, when Peavy went 10-11 despite a 2.85 ERA. Or when he went 11-14 in 2006.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
He'll get his chance when they play a NL team.

What is the team offense stats when Danks is out there? Anyone know?

This year Danks has the 3rd worst run support in the AL. Humber has the worst.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
Like in 2008, when Peavy went 10-11 despite a 2.85 ERA. Or when he went 11-14 in 2006.

That is irrelevant when regarding Sox fans. I've come across comments on this and another forum that none of this major losing streak would happen if Peavy were here.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
That is irrelevant when regarding Sox fans. I've come across comments on this and another forum that none of this major losing streak would happen if Peavy were here.

Gotcha, I kind of took your post as being 100% your thoughts. The thing about Peavy is that in his 2 postseason starts he is 0-2 with a 12.10 ERA. And he started a game 163 and gave up 6 runs in 6.1 IP, in a game his team lost. If he is such a winner, he hasn't shown it when it mattered in the past.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Too bad Danks doesn't have Rickey. Rickey likes to score runs.

I have a comment relative to pitchers not getting run support from their team mates. I'll use Jack Mcdowell for example I don't have access to tho I those figures but Jack started on season pitching horribly his earned average started out in the 8 or nines but while he was totally ineffective our sox were giving him all the runs he needed. Here is my question can a pitcher somehow inspire his team to produce more runs? The pitcher is in a way like a quarterback can certain pitchers get more run support than others. Even taking in account where they are in the rotation. S?ome pitchers get run support others do not, personality perhaps, leadership.

Danks had a comment in the paper about the support of his backbone during this tough stretch. The backbone included his family and agent. There is no way he is not filing for free agency and testing the proverbial waters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
John danks does not make the team not score runs for Danks.

Just an excuse for losers. Good pitchers will win alot of games over their career. There maybe an outlier year where the lose despite pitching well but over a career they will win games.

I personally don't care about the stats for pitchers. The only one that matters is if the team wins when they pitch. No they don't control all the variables but they are the primary factor. I'm a bigger White Sox fan than I am a John Danks fan. I want him do well only because it helps the team win.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Just an excuse for losers. Good pitchers will win alot of games over their career. There maybe an outlier year where the lose despite pitching well but over a career they will win games.

I personally don't care about the stats for pitchers. The only one that matters is if the team wins when they pitch. No they don't control all the variables but they are the primary factor. I'm a bigger White Sox fan than I am a John Danks fan. I want him do well only because it helps the team win.

All you can ask is a pitcher to give the team a chance to win, the rest is up to the team to perform well enough to win.