Garland, Gordon talk with Manuel

sox-r-us

I agree with Jon on this..I almost s*** my pants when i saw Ole jerry jogging out there like an idiot about to yank Jon...that one move right there ruined are pen for this entire series really....Scott.S(I'm not even gonna attempt to spell his last name) been here a week and it seems Jerry has overused him :lol: ...I know he pitched that last game in SEA, didn't he??? and he's trotting him out there...I knew he was gonna struggle a bit(maybe not that much)

But why O' why did he take out garland..who knows..Jon could have gotten out of that inning maybe only giving up 1 run???Who knows..

But Jerry just loves to over manage things doesn't he... god i want him out of here... :fyou

For all of those that aren't registered:

Garland, Gordon ask for explanations

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

August 5, 2003, 11:25 PM CDT

White Sox manager Jerry Manuel had to answer to more than the media after Monday's 13-9 loss to the Kansas City Royals.

Jon Garland visited Manuel's office to seek an explanation for why he had been removed from the game with no outs in the sixth inning.

Closer Tom Gordon also sought out Manuel to discuss how the team plans to use him down the stretch. Gordon was called upon to work two innings Monday, and that threatened his availability for Tuesday's game.

"I don't think I'm [available]," Gordon said about three hours before the game. "I really don't. I don't feel it tonight. I'll try to do what I can do."

Gordon later changed his mind, telling Manuel he could go Tuesday despite having been extended to 44 pitches the night before.

"I'll do whatever the team needs," he said. "Anytime you throw 40 or 50 pitches, you feel a little tight. But I'm not hurt. Thank God for that. I'll do everything I can to help this team win. And we need to win tonight. That's all there is to it."

Gordon didn't want to raise a stink, but he seemed miffed that he had used been so extensively in the first game of a crucial series.

"That's something I'm totally not understanding myself," he said. "But I don't want to get into it. I'd rather leave it alone."

Gordon then said he would talk to both Manuel and pitching coach Don Cooper about it.

Did he get a satisfactory explanation?

"I didn't go in there for that," he said. "I just wanted to talk to him about a couple of things. Maybe what we are trying to accomplish later on in the season. Not so much who's the closer and who isn't, but what they expect from me. I want to do my job. Anything I can do to help the team, that's what I want to do."

Manuel said he left Gordon in to pitch the ninth because he hadn't gotten work since Thursday and needed only 11 pitches to complete the eighth.

With the Sox trailing 10-9 after eight, Manuel was hoping Gordon could keep the game close. But he gave up three runs in the ninth.

Gordon didn't pitch Tuesday. Damaso Marte went 11/3 innings for the save, preserving the victory despite allowing two unearned runs in the ninth inning.

Why me?

Manuel actually applauded Garland for questioning why he had been removed after having thrown 79 pitches Monday.

"I appreciate the fact that he wanted to engage in that kind of conversation," Manuel said. "When you do that, that [shows] growth. I'd rather have that than a guy moping around."

Garland, who had given up three runs entering the fifth, allowed a leadoff single to Angel Berroa on an 0-2 pitch. With the left-handed-hitting Michael Tucker coming to the plate, Manuel called on Scott Schoeneweis, who failed to retire any of the four men he faced.

Manuel has told Garland repeatedly that he wants to see more of a killer instinct from him, rather than allowing two-out hits and hits on 0-2 pitches.

"Jon is one of those guys where if you're winning 1-0, it's going to stay 1-0," Manuel said. "But if you're winning 9-2, it might be 9-8. I think [Jack] McDowell was that type of pitcher."