Robin and Frank could either be a good hitting coach

Bubba Philips

I know that Walt Hriniak had great influence on the swings of frank Thomas and Robin Ventura's. I hear very little about Robin but I was wondering if anyone thinks either would be any good as a hitting coach. They both had such great swings. Hawk always described Ventura as "sweet swinging Robin" Frank, a loyal student of Hriniak. I know that just because someone did something well doesn't necessarily mean that they could teach hitting. just wanted to hear what people thought.

Ventura would have A job if he wanted it, probably in the booth. He doesn't want it yet.

Frank had a very unique swing and skill set, and a personality that wasn't all that outgoing.

Just because you can hit doesn't mean you can coach

QUOTE (forrestg @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
I know that Walt Hriniak had great influence on the swings of frank Thomas and Robin Ventura's. I hear very little about Robin but I was wondering if anyone thinks either would be any good as a hitting coach. They both had such great swings. Hawk always described Ventura as "sweet swinging Robin" Frank, a loyal student of Hriniak. I know that just because someone did something well doesn't necessarily mean that they could teach hitting. just wanted to hear what people thought.

Walker learned under Lau and Hriniak as well.

Thomas had that front swing that only he Aaron and Clemente could use. He could talk philosophy but not mechanics.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
What about Baines?

Baines isn't near vocal enough to be a hitting coach if you ask me. Wrong personality type.

Guys with Frank's unique talent don't translate well to hitting coach.

Ventura would work but I think you're in dreamland thinking he would want anything to do with coaching/managing at this point in his life. I might be wrong, but I don't believe he has shown any interest in it.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ May 6, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
What about Baines?

Only if the players don't mind learning from as mime. He is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and was an outstanding ballplayer. However, I don't know if I've ever heard him string two sentences together.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
With Frank as hitting coach, the temptation might be to activate him since most of guys on this team can't hit.

i really miss having someone in the line up besides konerko and Quentin that might actually might get a clutch hit. maybe we could bring back Crede too.

QUOTE (forrestg @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
i really miss having someone in the line up besides konerko and Quentin that might actually might get a clutch hit. maybe we could bring back Crede too.

Some forgot how great he was before the steroid era. He was a tough out.