Dunn, Thornton, AJ, Rios, Beckham, Oz, KW

greg775

Who could have projected all these guys would be major horses***?

I think I have singlehandedly identified the biggest culprits to our horrendous five week opening that has ended the season on the Southside before it started.

I mean can anybody on here say anything good about these guys?

I mean I couldn't add Pierre. He actually has had some hits. Morel has been awful but he's no major factor either way. Some of the other relievers we expect to suck.

But to you five guys mentioned ... thanks for ruining the season. I mean our starting pitching has been reasonable. Maybe even pretty good. But those 5 guys ... wow.

I repeat .. can any of you say anything good about Dunn, Thornton, AJ, Rios and Gordon??

I cannot.

And I added Oz and KW for intangible suckiness.

Matt Thornton suffered his third loss in relief, giving up four of the Mariners' seven hits in the last two innings, but manager Ozzie Guillen defended his decision to not bring in Sergio Santos in the ninth.

The Mariners were trotting a lot of left-handed hitters to the plate, and besides, Guillen liked the way Thornton was throwing.

"Thornton threw the ball good,'' Guillen said. "I'm very happy the way he throw the ball. Strikeout a few [two] people. But I like the way he throw. I don't want to come here and bring Santos and all of a sudden I'm going to leave my bullpen empty. I don't have another chance. Thornton threw the ball good.''

"I like the way he throw the ball today.''

I'm starting to think Ozzie is really crazy. To use Santos, Sale OR Crain there in the 9th doesn't ruin your entire bullpen for the entire series, does it? What he's done now is forced himself to use Sale one of the next two games, who he clearly believes in less than Matty Thornton right now.

www.suntimes.com/sports

“I don’t have expectations of innings and pitches (with Peavy),’’ Cooper said before the Sox faced the Mariners. “Give us a chance to win the game. Hopefully he can go six or seven [innings]. But just to win a game. We need our starting pitchers to put us in position to win games.’’

Yeah, that offense is really looking like it will heat up in the next 8 games. Has anyone seen our list of home opponents after that? Man, this season is becoming a drag.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
Who could have projected all these guys would be major horses***?

I think I have singlehandedly identified the biggest culprits to our horrendous five week opening that has ended the season on the Southside before it started.

I mean can anybody on here say anything good about these guys?

I mean I couldn't add Pierre. He actually has had some hits. Morel has been awful but he's no major factor either way. Some of the other relievers we expect to suck.

But to you five guys mentioned ... thanks for ruining the season. I mean our starting pitching has been reasonable. Maybe even pretty good. But those 5 guys ... wow.

I repeat .. can any of you say anything good about Dunn, Thornton, AJ, Rios and Gordon??

I cannot.

And I added Oz and KW for intangible suckiness.

I don't think its a surprise any one of them has struggled. What is a surprise is that they are all struggling and the length of the struggles. The season is going to be a quarter over soon. How many good teams play this bad for this long? Its happened, but its extremely rare.

Edited by Dick Allen

If you noticed, Thornton was down in the zone in the 9th inning with a lot of his pitches. He was clearly gassed, as he was able to stay up in the zone with a few more mph in the 8th inning. It's comical that he was left in that long. Oh, and Ozzie, why not use Crain instead of Santos then?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
If you noticed, Thornton was down in the zone in the 9th inning with a lot of his pitches. He was clearly gassed, as he was able to stay up in the zone with a few more mph in the 8th inning. It's comical that he was left in that long. Oh, and Ozzie, why not use Crain instead of Santos then?

I didn't watch the game, but as soon as I saw the box score and it said 1.2 IP, I said why the f*** was Thornton in there so long? It's not extra innings, no one else had pitched, I assumed he was tiring out, and I guess I was right.

I'm sure the team will use the excuse that they faced an ace, but your #5 starter went to toe-to-toe with him, thats the type of game you need to pull out, not that it matters anymore.

I really think Ozzie wouldn't mind being fired. I've really never thought that before, but he seems almost resigned to the White Sox fate. Where is his annual speech about how he's was close to walking away. He doesn't want to quit because he wouldn't get the cash.

As for the Sox, for a team that is supposedly "all in" they seem to have great faith in all their personnel not performing. Its getting to the point where if things aren't changing they need to do something. Even if they start playing better, which seems like it would be impossible not to happen, an entire summer of meaningless baseball played before tumbleweeds with the inevitiable drop in payroll next season, isn't going to do much for current customers. Something has to be done. Maybe not a firing now, but how about something a little more substantial than Teahen for Morel? They need to quit being so stubborn. If they rally and play well and win 85 games while some will call that a successful season, I find 85 wins if you don't make the playoffs during a year you are "all in" a failure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 07:32 AM)
I don't think its a surprise any one of them has struggled. What is a surprise is that they are all struggling and the length of the struggles. The season is going to be a quarter over soon. How many good teams play this bad for this long? Its happened, but its extremely rare.

How is this surprising? We see this just about every year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
The Sox need offense and Viciedo is on fire in Charlotte. Its time to make a move.

Agreed. For them not to make a personnel or roster move before the Seattle series just shows how much denial Kenny is in right now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 7, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
AJ and Rios were pretty predictable, Dunn and Matt have to be defined as shocking as any players struggles so far this season though, not just that they've been bad but how terrible they've been.

Since the AS break last year Dunn is 66-325 .203 batting average with 19 homers 48 rbi 56 walks 124 k's. I still think he'll be OK, but there's going to be a point you can't consider it just a slump anymore.

C'mon, it's painfully obvious to anyone following that Ozzie is trying to get fired now. A lot of talk about his willingness to resign when it stops being fun, but eventually just taking the p**** way out when it becomes too hard and the players have clearly lost faith in him. Would you expect anything better out of Ozzie Guillen?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 07:18 AM)
I really think Ozzie wouldn't mind being fired. I've really never thought that before, but he seems almost resigned to the White Sox fate. Where is his annual speech about how he's was close to walking away. He doesn't want to quit because he wouldn't get the cash.

I would probably get tired of managing and over paid under achieving team after awhile along with a farm system that has a bleak future. I think he would be a better manager in the NL. If he gets fired, it won't take long for him to be managing again.

Since the turn of the century this team has had two managers but the constant has been under achievement.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
Thornton actually looked pretty damn awesome last night, and thats really encouraging. He may have been left in a little too long, but its not like he was getting hit around, the hits they got on him were shanked bleeders.

I thought Seattle got really good swings against him (besides Olivo and Bradley, of course). Ichiro hit his ball hard, Chone did, Saunders flew out pretty deep, and Wilson and Ryan hit the ball hard. He did have good command in the 8th though, and when he has good command, he's throwing up and in to righties instead of down the plate.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)

As for the Sox, for a team that is supposedly "all in" they seem to have great faith in all their personnel not performing. Its getting to the point where if things aren't changing they need to do something. Even if they start playing better, which seems like it would be impossible not to happen, an entire summer of meaningless baseball played before tumbleweeds with the inevitiable drop in payroll next season, isn't going to do much for current customers. Something has to be done. Maybe not a firing now, but how about something a little more substantial than Teahen for Morel? They need to quit being so stubborn. If they rally and play well and win 85 games while some will call that a successful season, I find 85 wins if you don't make the playoffs during a year you are "all in" a failure.

I truly believe the Sox management is working under the assumption that Cleveland and Kansas City are not as good as they are bad.

They believe those two teams will eventually tank and as long as they don't get too far behind the so-called elite teams of the division - Minnesota and Detroit, they could go on some extended win streak and be right back in the race.

Operating under this kind of delusion has preventing them to from facing reality about the true state of their organization.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 7, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I would probably get tired of managing and over paid under achieving team after awhile along with a farm system that has a bleak future. I think he would be a better manager in the NL. If he gets fired, it won't take long for him to be managing again.

Since the turn of the century this team has had two managers but the constant has been under achievement.

\

This management has no clue how to build an elite ballclub.

As it could happen once a century, they got lucky with some marginal and a few slightly above average players who peeked in 2005.

Nothing leading up to 2005 or nothing which has occurred since would demonstrate the sox were nothing more than one-hit wonder.

Guillen's managerial star actually started to fade with the near epic implosion of team in the second half of the 2005.

Guillen stayed out of the way for the most of playoffs.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
I truly believe the Sox management is working under the assumption that Cleveland and Kansas City are not as good as they are bad.

They believe those two teams will eventually tank and as long as they don't get too far behind the so-called elite teams of the division - Minnesota and Detroit, they could go on some extended win streak and be right back in the race.

Operating under this kind of delusion has preventing them to from facing reality about the true state of their organization.

That's all fine, except we can't beat the teams in our own division either. Haven't been able to for some time now.

Ug.

It's all so depressing having to be a negative fan all the time. I wish there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

At least while we've sucked, the Hawks (last year) and Bulls (this year) are amazing. Tough to be greedy and want to win two title per year in Chicago.