Build Around Phil Humber

Marty34

Ramirez probably has the most "fair" deal in terms of value to the team and compensation. He's a good hitter and excellent defensively and is compensated at market value. It's good for him and the Sox. He's the last player I'd complain about having a bad contract. Look at AJ. If he's making anything over league minimum to be awful on both sides of the ball, it should be a crime.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
My view of Ramirez is he's a complimentary player, nothing special.

Last year, Alexei was very close to, if not the best SS in the AL, if you include defense. He's the kind of guy that a team won't win if they don't have.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Alexei is probably the least of our worries when it comes to production and contract going forward.

Which is, btw, why, if we do go into "FULL FIRESALE" mode, you move him...he actually should have legit trade value.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Much of Ramirez' value was the production he gave at the salary he was being paid. After the extension, a lot of the luster has gone off him.

He was the best hitting and fielding ss in the AL last year. Now, the AL certainly isn't loaded at that position but Alexei is extremely value with just how little depth there is at the shortstop position in baseball.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Much of Ramirez' value was the production he gave at the salary he was being paid. After the extension, a lot of the luster has gone off him.

GG caliber SS's who hit .270 with 15-20 HR's a year don't grow on trees in the post steroid era.

If you factor in offense AND defense last year, Ramirez was pretty clearly our best player last year.

We've basically robbed him the first 3 years of his contract, he was undoubtedly the best value in all of baseball.

Which All-Star caliber player had a more advantageous contract to their club (or didn't get a huge signing bonus from the draft)?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
If you factor in offense AND defense last year, Ramirez was pretty clearly our best player last year.

We've basically robbed him the first 3 years of his contract, he was undoubtedly the best value in all of baseball.

Which All-Star caliber player had a more advantageous contract to their club (or didn't get a huge signing bonus from the draft)?

Adrian Gonzalez

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
If you factor in offense AND defense last year, Ramirez was pretty clearly our best player last year

This just isn't true. Rios had as good a year as Ramirez. Neither was close to Konerko in terms of importance. IF Alexei Ramirez is your best player there should be no surprise they are 11-22.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
This just isn't true. Rios had as good a year as Ramirez. Neither was close to Konerko in terms of importance. IF Alexei Ramirez is your best player there should be no surprise they are 11-22.

Clearly you didn't watch every White Sox game in the second half last season.

He never had an OPS of over 765 for any month besides May. I won't argue he (Rios) was probably our best player for the first two months, and Alexei was cold (the first three years of his career) simultaneously.

Post All-Star game, he had a 684 OPS. That's when we really needed him to come through, same thing with late 2009. And his defense wasn't quite as good in the 2nd half, either. Better than 2011, but that's Brian Anderson territory for 3 months.

When you consider their contracts, the pre-eminence of the SS position and the dearth of talent there across the majors, Ramirez was clearly better.

I don't think anyone else on this board will argue that Rios was better than Ramirez in 2011.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)

He never had an OPS of over 765 for any month besides May. I won't argue he (Rios) was probably our best player for the first two months, and Alexei was cold (the first three years of his career) simultaneously.

Post All-Star game, he had a 684 OPS. That's when we really needed him to come through, same thing with late 2009. And his defense wasn't quite as good in the 2nd half, either. Better than 2011, but that's Brian Anderson territory for 3 months.

When you consider their contracts, the pre-eminence of the SS position and the dearth of talent there across the majors, Ramirez was clearly better.

I don't think anyone else on this board will argue that Rios was better than Ramirez in 2011.

Alex Rios is one of the top 3 underachievers (I think the Upton Boys are tops) in baseball. This guy has skills/talent oozing out of his ass yet he consistently disappoints. He's been average to bad since June 1 of last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)

Sure, when you consider contracts, Ramirez was their best player last year, but that wasn't what you originally said. Rios and Ramirez are pretty much the same player. Rios is grossly overpaid right now and I suspect Ramirez will be grossly overpaid in 2014-2015

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Sure, when you consider contracts, Ramirez was their best player last year, but that wasn't what you originally said. Rios and Ramirez are pretty much the same player. Rios is grossly overpaid right now and I suspect Ramirez will be grossly overpaid in 2014-2015

Alexei was the 3rd best player in the league at the most premium position in baseball.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 7, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Alexei was the 3rd best player in the league at the most premium position in baseball.

How many AL CF'ers were better than Rios last year? Off the top of my head, Hamilton, Hunter . . .

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
How many AL CF'ers were better than Rios last year? Off the top of my head, Hamilton, Hunter . . .

Well going by WAR there were 4 better: Hamilton, Gardener, Wells and Austin Jackson. But you made your point. CF in the AL isn't particularly strong.