5/8 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 9, 2011 -> 01:54 AM)
What the hell are we doing with Upchurch? Is there a reason we're like switching him off between a starter and reliever right now? Freakin odd.

I'm not sure. I mean, he didn't do that great as a starter, but he also didn't do bad enough to abandon, especially at age 20. I'd like to see him back in to a starting spot, or at least in Winstom-Salem, but I think his dominance in the bullpen may keep him there. But a 10.1 K/9 and a 0.9 BB/9 is godlike.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 8, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Relax guy. The draft is soon. We have a whole $2.5 million allotted this year with the absence of a first round pick.

Is that $2.5 million figure valid? If so, it makes the money spent on Manny look even more foolish.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Is that $2.5 million figure valid? If so, it makes the money spent on Manny look even more foolish.

No. I have no idea what they are going to spend. I expect a similar amount to the past few years or less justified by not having to spend on a 1st rounder.

Many teams are preparing to dump significant money into signings this year because of how deep the class is, and the possibility that this will be the last draft without hard slotting. There is almost zero chance the Sox are one of these teams.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
No. I have no idea what they are going to spend. I expect a similar amount to the past few years or less justified by not having to spend on a 1st rounder.

Many teams are preparing to dump significant money into signings this year because of how deep the class is, and the possibility that this will be the last draft without hard slotting. There is almost zero chance the Sox are one of these teams.

What on Earth will people complain about if MLB goes to hard slotting and an international draft?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
What on Earth will people complain about if MLB goes to hard slotting and an international draft?

We will then be shifting gears to the inadequacies in player development!

Seriously though, not a fan of hard-slotting at all. It will really hurt many of the small market teams who have been and need to invest heavily in home grown players.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
We will then be shifting gears to the inadequacies in player development!

Seriously though, not a fan of hard-slotting at all. It will really hurt many of the small market teams who have been and need to invest heavily in home grown players.

The small market teams are the ones at a real disadvantage without hard slotting, because they have to choose whether to spend money on the top level team or on the draft, and they also have much less leverage when trying to negoatiate an extension with a guy that does come up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)

Give me that and the right to trade draft picks, and my list of complaints narrows to a real Olympic style drug testing program.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Give me that and the right to trade draft picks, and my list of complaints narrows to a real Olympic style drug testing program.

So you don't buy MLB's contention that being unable to trade picks helps the small market teams because they're forced to actually draft someone?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
So you don't buy MLB's contention that being unable to trade picks helps the small market teams because they're forced to actually draft someone?

Not without things like salary floors and hard slotting NBA style. You just draft someone cheap instead of the best player on the board.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
The small market teams are the ones at a real disadvantage without hard slotting, because they have to choose whether to spend money on the top level team or on the draft, and they also have much less leverage when trying to negoatiate an extension with a guy that does come up.

I don't agree. The top spending teams in draft $ will only spend around $10m, or $4-5m above the average spending team. Heck even the top spending team over the last 3 years (Pirates) only spent $18m ($6m/year) more than the bottom spending team (our Sox). $6m a year will buy you all of what, 1.5 WAR on the open market? Not exactly the difference between being a basement dweller and playoff contender.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)

The double whammy of them not spending money and the Wilder fiasco has put the organization in a precarious situation.