What purpose does it serve for America . . .

Texsox

When anything that happens, good or bad, is soon hijacked and spun for or against one political party? It seems like the past couple decades Americans would rather trash anything good the other party does or excuse anything bad their party does. It seems that we're all about scoring points for our team, even if it is bad for our country.

It's a shame. When Osama was killed, the attacking of Obama began. All those Facebook posts saying he had nothing to do with it and it's not a victory for him and so on. I would imagine that if McCain had been in office or Bush had been in office when that happened those same people wouldn't be saying that. Then there'd be others from the other side saying the same thing.

I dislike getting into political discussions with people. I have some family members that have completely opposite views that I have, and I try very hard to avoid talking politics. Because they're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change their mind. And that's just a small scale of the country. Why argue and try to make others see your point of view when very few people's minds will be changed?

Wow...this should make for great reading. Begrudge much? Like it or not, its President Obama, and that is that.

As for Tex's original post, I wish I knew honestly. Every action that ends up being a positive or negative for the country as a whole, is ALWAYS blamed/approved by one of the political parties, outlashing at the other.

Petty, inane behaivior. So, pretty much what we should expect from the people involved.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2011 -> 07:20 AM)
Wow...this should make for great reading. Begrudge much? Like it or not, its President Obama, and that is that.

As for Tex's original post, I wish I knew honestly. Every action that ends up being a positive or negative for the country as a whole, is ALWAYS blamed/approved by one of the political parties, outlashing at the other.

Petty, inane behaivior. So, pretty much what we should expect from the people involved.

:lolhitting

You obviously don't spend much time in the buster to know I was being facetious.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 9, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)
When anything that happens, good or bad, is soon hijacked and spun for or against one political party? It seems like the past couple decades Americans would rather trash anything good the other party does or excuse anything bad their party does. It seems that we're all about scoring points for our team, even if it is bad for our country.

I'll bet you money, you grab stuff from the news and spin it for your history class daily to make historical points.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:28 AM)
:lolhitting

You obviously don't spend much time in the buster to know I was being facetious.

Yep, sorry...I avoid the Buster at all costs, so I'm post-style noobish over here! I shoulda figured, but dang my fingers got to work before I could think about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
I'll bet you money, you grab stuff from the news and spin it for your history class daily to make historical points.

Not from a partisan stand point. I take great pains to avoid that. As much as possible I make connections between current events around the world and how it is done in the US. So when riots were breaking out all over northern Africa, I showed how many peaceful transitions of power the US had while some of these dictators were in power. When there are protests in the US we discuss 1st Amendment protections. We discussed why it was OK in the US to challenge the President to prove his citizenship, and how that would get someone arrested, or worse, in other countries. I didn't discuss any partisan motives for the challenges.

I'm talking about reducing politics to a sporting event. Perhaps it is because we don't take it seriously enough. Today, there are some people that want the country to fail so they can say I told you so. There are some people who cannot accept that "their" party has done anything wrong or the other party may be right. Do we benefit from any of that?

I believe in our diversity comes strength. I appreciate that our Constitution makes change very, very, difficult. That we don't have a one party political system. I appreciate our checks and balances, our freedom of the press, our separation of powers.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
Yep, sorry...I avoid the Buster at all costs, so I'm post-style noobish over here! I shoulda figured, but dang my fingers got to work before I could think about it.

That is a key 'buster posting technique employed by almost everyone here.