Konerko HoF?

cws0591

If Konerko gets close to the 500 homerun mark do any of you guys think he will make the hall? I figure if he plays 3 more years after this and averages 32 homeruns during that span he will get 500. I f he plays 4 more years after this he will only need to average about 25(which i think is doable). with all of that said even if he gets to 500 what other stat really jumps out.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
What if Konerko spent 12-15 years with the Yankees instead of the White Sox, would that make a difference? Considering he had the same stats.

I don't know. I'm just playing the devil's advocate.

I have no doubt he'd be in the hall in that case. And I'm not being sarcastic.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
I have no doubt he'd be in the hall in that case. And I'm not being sarcastic.

The difference would be after 10+ years with the Yankees/Red Sox, he'd be in the top 5 all time in postseason HR.

I don't think he can play at the level he is now for another 4+ years, which is what he would need to do to be in the discussion. He's got too many injury issues that have lingered throughout his career.

But I suppose if he can hit like he has last year and this year, for another 4 seasons, then he starts to be in that discussion.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
What if Konerko spent 12-15 years with the Yankees instead of the White Sox, would that make a difference? Considering he had the same stats.

I don't know. I'm just playing the devil's advocate.

Don Mattingly didn't make it either.

I disagree with you guys. I think if he reaches the 500 HR milestone, he will definitely make the HoF, and I think he gets in because the writers will reward him for being a clean player in an era of dirty players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
If PK14 pulled a Fred McGriff and wound up on ~497 HR, would you think he was a HOF-er?

That, I am not so sure about.

But with the stance the writers seem to be taking on the guys that used steroids, one would think they would want to reward the players who were never really under suspicion.

Perhaps you're right, after rethinking things a bit, but the 500 HR has been the magic number in the past, has it not been?

I think if he plays another 3 years or so and puts up pretty good numbers, he will at least be in some talk about it.

If he stays healthy he is going end up with better offensive numbers than Jim Rice. If that means anything.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 9, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
That, I am not so sure about.

But with the stance the writers seem to be taking on the guys that used steroids, one would think they would want to reward the players who were never really under suspicion.

Perhaps you're right, after rethinking things a bit, but the 500 HR has been the magic number in the past, has it not been?

Yes, currently the only players who have hit 500+ HR and not been elected to the HOF are the steroid guys.

Fred McGriff is the interesting case. He was a very very good hitter for a decade, and wound up with 493 HR. He has not made the HOF and probably won't. Yet, if he'd hit 7 more HR in his career, would that have made him a HOF-er? I'd say Konerko is the same question here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Yes, currently the only players who have hit 500+ HR and not been elected to the HOF are the steroid guys.

Fred McGriff is the interesting case. He was a very very good hitter for a decade, and wound up with 493 HR. He has not made the HOF and probably won't. Yet, if he'd hit 7 more HR in his career, would that have made him a HOF-er? I'd say Konerko is the same question here.

Maybe if he wasn't in the Tom Emansky commercials he would get more respect...;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
But if he'd played with the Yankees/Red Sox, he would have been, that's the point of asking "would he be a HOF-er if he'd played with the Yankees".

Which without his being in the playoffs every year, he has a career amazingly like Don Mattingly. Some great offensive years, never really the best at his position, and nothing spectacular in his career when compared to his era.

I think if Konerko is reasonably close to the 500 home run milestone, the White Sox will do what they can to cater to his interests. They signed Mike Jackson and let him continue to pitch out of the bullpen even though he was no longer effective simply to get him to 1000 games. If Paul Konerko is at 497 home runs and he wants to get to 500, the White Sox will allow him to do so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Which without his being in the playoffs every year, he has a career amazingly like Don Mattingly. Some great offensive years, never really the best at his position, and nothing spectacular in his career when compared to his era.

Konerko has much better offensive numbers than Mattingly. Mattingly has 222 career home runs. If the question is if PK reaches 500 HR, will he make the HoF, the two players don't seem all that similar to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
The difference would be after 10+ years with the Yankees/Red Sox, he'd be in the top 5 all time in postseason HR.

Good point.

The guy is having another monster year. I know it's early, and there's always time for him to falter, but he's shown to be a better hitter over the past year. To me it seems like he's more patient and is seemilngly seeing the ball better.

He'll be in our (the fans) hall of fame, but if he does hit 500 HRs and doesn't make the HoF it'd be quite a dissapointment...to me at least.