Konerko HoF?

cws0591

I saw the other day he's averaged 34 homers and 97 RBI's for the last 7 years.

Still, not quite dominant numbers considering he's a 1B playing in a hitter's park.

Gary Sheffield has over 500 homers and I'm not sure I would vote for the guy if I had a ballot. Probably. But I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
I saw the other day he's averaged 34 homers and 97 RBI's for the last 7 years.

Still, not quite dominant numbers considering he's a 1B playing in a hitter's park.

Gary Sheffield has over 500 homers and I'm not sure I would vote for the guy if I had a ballot. Probably. But I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Sheffield's an admitted tetrahydrogestrinone user.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
So Bonds and A-Rod are the only ones to get in (eventually)?

Has Piazza escaped 100% with his reputation intact? I wasn't sure...haven't followed it as closely as many others, as it's too depressing to me as a fan.

Yes Piazza's rep seems in tact. And I doubt Bonds will get to 75%.

Konerko is in if he gets to 500 (which I see as unlikely), although it would take at least a few ballots. You can cite his existing track record all you want, but if he gets to 500, that will mean that he had 3-4 more years as good as he was last year and has been so far this year (e.g., 35-40 HRs/year), all at a time when not many guys are putting up those numbers. That would also mean some additional 100 RBI seasons, appearances on MVP ballots, etc. It's not just his HR total that would go up.

If Konerko breaks 450 but not 500, he would at least be in the discussion, but it's probably a long shot at that point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Has Piazza escaped 100% with his reputation intact? I wasn't sure...haven't followed it as closely as many others, as it's too depressing to me as a fan.

I hope not. IMO, it's pretty freaking obvious that he was juicing. If all these other guys are not getting in only because of PEDs, then I don't want to see him in either.

I think more than ever, you gotta go by the 'smell test'.

Konerko? No. Not yet. If he somehow matched last year's numbers for the rest of his playing career, and got in the MVP discussion again, yeah. That would be 15 years with the Sox, an ALCS MVP, maybe a couple top-5 AL MVP's, plus the 500 homers. At that point, he's got the credentials.

But that's a long way away, and unlikely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
So Bonds and A-Rod are the only ones to get in (eventually)?

Piazza is a hoofer almost 500 dingers as a catcher, plus he was dominant for about a 10 year stretch

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
It's amazing this year just how much PK seems like just a professional hitter this year. I'm not quite sure he's feared yet, but it seems like he's given us VERY good atbats the vast majority of this year.

He has been like wine, gotten better with age

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 11, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Not a chance, ever.

Konerko has never been a top 10 player for an extended period of time in the majors. Further, he has never been the best first baseman EVER while he has played.

He's had a very solid career. But not a chance is he a hall of famer

If Konerko reaches 500 (a big if), he likely would have had an extended run of elite performance beginning last year (3rd in all of MLB in HR's) and reaching into 2013 or 2014. And if last year's leaderboard is any indication, not many guys are going to hit 30-40 HR a year in each of the next several years. If Konerko pulls it off, he'd be in a very elite group.