Astros Sale For Reportedly $680M Close

Marty34

QUOTE (knightni @ May 10, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
If someone else bought the Sox, they'd leave Chicago.

No chance. There's a lease and a television channel. The Sox have a lot more revenue than a lot of teams. If they could somehow truly convince fans that the upper deck really isn't one floor from heaven, they would have a lot better attendance.

That is the White Sox biggest problem. The reputation of the upper deck.

Edited by Dick Allen

The Astros had a really good reputation until the World Series team was dismantled and they started awarding idiotic contracts like the Carlos Lee one.

A lot of the Stros fans really identified with Bagwell, Berkman, Biggio and Oswalt and they all left at approximately the same time.

I know it was a decision that McLane agonized over for many months, particularly the parting with Oswalt. They're also suffering a bit because of the success of the Rangers, IMO. And the fact that Nolan Ryan is now identifying himself with that rival organization, well, basically he's the face of the Rangers to Texans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 11, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
Are you implying that Ed Wade is not a good GM??

For all I know he might be one of the best GM's in baseball history, but since 2005 he's been operating with an ownership that insisted he needed to win now, make trades to win now, but wouldn't put up the kind of money required to win now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
But the way the Astros have operated isn't that far off from the Cardinals' business model in recent years.

It's just that StL has been a lot more successful, AND they obviously had the fortune of Mr. Pujols being in their organization.

There's nothing inherently wrong with playing to "win now" if you've already got some key pieces to build around. You can't do that if your team is old/breaking down though.

Think about what would happen if the Pirates decided they needed to "win now", signed 1-2 guys to huge contracts, and started trading away their young guys for expensive veterans. That's what the Astros have been doing.

That's also why the Cards are in so much trouble if Pujols leaves...they're locked into "Win now" mode thanks to their other contracts without a huge amount of flexibility or replacements.

Well first of all, no one down here cares about the Rangers I can tell you that much.. I almost never hear Astros fans talking about the Rangers and the Astros/Rangers games aren't very "hostile" in the rivalry terms..

Secondly, since the team was put up for sale they haven't really made any moves to improve the club in terms of signing people or making trades.. One of their big problems is they hold onto people for way too long, and of course seeing Beltran walk away after how much excitement he brought to this city in his short time here..

Hopefully this new ownership will actually do positive things so im not bored to death everytime I go to an Astros game..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Well first of all, no one down here cares about the Rangers I can tell you that much.. I almost never hear Astros fans talking about the Rangers and the Astros/Rangers games aren't very "hostile" in the rivalry terms..

Secondly, since the team was put up for sale they haven't really made any moves to improve the club in terms of signing people or making trades.. One of their big problems is they hold onto people for way too long, and of course seeing Beltran walk away after how much excitement he brought to this city in his short time here..

Hopefully this new ownership will actually do positive things so im not bored to death everytime I go to an Astros game..

Could be worse, you could have outbid the Mets and kept Beltran.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
The Randy Johnson trade didn't go so well, either.

Well technically yes it did, they got to the playoffs but obviously didn't win the world series.. they ended up winning 102 games and Randy Johnson went 10-1 with a 1.28 ERA and 4 CG shutouts for them.. but up until 04/05 they were notorious playoff chokers

QUOTE (T R U @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:41 AM)
Well technically yes it did, they got to the playoffs but obviously didn't win the world series.. they ended up winning 102 games and Randy Johnson went 10-1 with a 1.28 ERA and 4 CG shutouts for them.. but up until 04/05 they were notorious playoff chokers

That's kind of like saying the Tigers went to the playoffs with Doyle Alexander and it made the Smoltz trade a good one, or Bagwell for L. Anderson.

If they had both Carlos Guillen and Freddy Garcia long-term (and John Halama as their fifth starter), they would have been much better off IMO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)
That's kind of like saying the Tigers went to the playoffs with Doyle Alexander and it made the Smoltz trade a good one, or Bagwell for L. Anderson.

If they had both Carlos Guillen and Freddy Garcia long-term (and John Halama as their fifth starter), they would have been much better off IMO.

it's hard to judge trades like this one, really just an individual preference. Randy Johnson flat out dominated for the Astros in his short stint there, he did everything and more than the Astros could have expected, so his acquisition paid off from his performance, he didn't get the support from his teammates that was needed to get to/win a WS that year. Personally, if you're a team on the brink of being a legit WS contender and there's one stud player out there, you mortgage the future. Prospects are far too hit and miss as is, to a lesser extent, the health of your other players on your roster. Who knows, they don't make the trade for RJ, still fizzle out and then Bagwell and another important player gets significantly hurt... it's all a risk reward decision.

I definitely see the other side of it, again, it's just personal preference for an org.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)

No it really isn't.. you act as if the Astros were bad after 1998 for a while because of that trade..

from 1999-2005 they made the playoffs 4 times, including a world series appearance.. when you have the chance to add the best pitcher in the league for a shot at the world series, you do it.. but the trade they made didnt really cripple them long term in any way..

I used 2005 as the stopping point because after that they started to rebuild