If the Sox got sold - and moved out of state

knightni

Would you still follow them?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Carolina Blue Sox...?

• I would still watch their games on TV.
    • Screw them. I'm done with baseball.
    • Screw them. I'll be a Brewers or Cards fan.
    • Screw them I'll fan another non-area team.
    • Uh... How 'bout them Cubbies...?
    • AAAAAA! I don't want to think about it!

I'd prolly be too pissed off over the South Side team leaving the city that I'd prolly stop following them.

I hate the Cubs, so my interest in baseball would prolly fall if the Cubs were the only team in the city.

I'd prolly end up becoming a fan of the Detroit Tigers, but it'd be hard for me to ever follow their games because their games are not broadcast on local cable in the Chicago area unless they're playing one of the Chicago teams.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
Yes to 1 and Bulls*** to 2.

Well that's obviously an exaggeration but not a crazy one. Baseball is the one sport where my love for my favorite team far outweighs my love for the actual sport. I still would be a casual fan but my following of everyday games and transactions and whatnot would be gone for sure.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Not really. Check StubHub. Cardinals are in town, temp will be 80 degrees tommorrow night and there are tickets on sale for a whopping $5.

How much are tickets for the Sox game? Like walk up tickets.. because you make it sound like $5 is some huge deal when you can get a ticket to the Astros game for $7, and that's with no deals..

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
Well that's obviously an exaggeration but not a crazy one. Baseball is the one sport where my love for my favorite team far outweighs my love for the actual sport. I still would be a casual fan but my following of everyday games and transactions and whatnot would be gone for sure.

I think I'm with you on this one. I like baseball, but I love the White Sox.

I'd likely follow the team for as long as this current group of players was on the roster and actively cheer for them. But once guys like Konerko and Buehrle left, my interest would continuously decrease before baseball became a thing of the past for me.

I don't think I could just up and become a Brewers fan or a fan of some other random team. And I'd certainly never become a Cubs fan.

Interesting question though.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
Truth. If they got OKC Thunder'd it would probably play out differently, but roster continuity would prolong my interest in that scenario.

*Shudders*

I've watched about 6 hours of NBA basketball since the Sonics were stolen. I'm done with the NBA until they get a team again. If OKC wins the NBA title this year I think I'll probably get sick.

If something similar happened with the Sox I would not support that team, but I wouldn't give up the sport the way I did there. I've always kind of followed the Marlins so either I'd become a legit fan or I'd stay local and probably start rooting for the Mets.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
My near-by choices would be the Rangers or the Astros. And death is not an option.

UGH. Don't want to think of no ball on the South Side. :gosox3:

I would probably watch more Ranger games. I still prefer the AL. There are also some historical parallels between the two teams. I guess it would be very much like basketball, if someone asked what team I like, I would say the Bulls, but I could tell you way more about the Spurs than the Bulls. Hell, I probably know more about the Mavs than the Bulls. Still I spent way too much time in the upper balcony of the stadium to stop following the Bulls. Same as the Sox.

It would be a marketing dream for the Cubs. I could see all sorts of promotions to win over new fans.

My knee jerk reaction was "absolutely not". Having a little time reading over this thread, I'm thinking, why would I travel out of state to find a team? What's the difference if I just stayed with the Sox at that point? The problem is that I'd be "that guy", rooting for a team in a state I don't live in and possibly have never been to, like that guy from LA who's a diehard Yankees fan.

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 11, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
My knee jerk reaction was "absolutely not". Having a little time reading over this thread, I'm thinking, why would I travel out of state to find a team? What's the difference if I just stayed with the Sox at that point? The problem is that I'd be "that guy", rooting for a team in a state I don't live in and possibly have never been to, like that guy from LA who's a diehard Yankees fan.

What's wrong with that?

QUOTE (Tuna @ May 11, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
I look down on them...as I sit on my high horse.

I don't understand that mentality. I have either lived in NY or Germany my entire life and have only been to Chicago twice (both times the main purpose was to see games) yet I feel I'm probably more of a knowledgeable and diehard fan of the White Sox than 90% of people in Chicago.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 11, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
I don't understand that mentality. I have either lived in NY or Germany my entire life and have only been to Chicago twice (both times the main purpose was to see games) yet I feel I'm probably more of a knowledgeable and diehard fan of the White Sox than 90% of people in Chicago.

I wouldn't doubt that, as you said, the team was important enough for you to travel to Chicago to see.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 11, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)

That's pretty cool... how on Earth did you become a Sox fan? Frank?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
Just a little food for thought today.

:bringit

I'll give you guys multiple answer options.

This almost happened a few times since 1968.

They actually played some games in Milwaukee about 1970 or so. Governor Thompson saved them from moving by forming the Illinois sports commission when they built the new park. These memories are too painful. Why bring up such an ugly topic. Don't plant any seeds you don't want to harvest.

You should have put 1. go on a murder rampage

2. commit suicide...................as other options.

Edited by since56

I would definitely become a casual fan. Probably, I might eventually gravitate to the Cardinals because of the area I live and they are the closet MLB team.

Back in the 60's, the Washington Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins, the DC got a new expansion team that was also named the Senators (they eventually became the Texas Rangers). Under THAT scenario, I'd still be a fan of the Chicago White Sox.

ETA: If they moved to Nashville, I'd stick with the franchise.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
That's pretty cool... how on Earth did you become a Sox fan? Frank?

Partly. My dad doesn't follow sports so my mom would just get whatever sports shirts they had at the army base store and the first one I can remember having was a white sox shirt. My grandpa tried hard to make me into a Yankee fan but by the time we moved back to the US it was too late - I already had an interest in the White Sox and Frank Thomas. And for the same reasons mostly that is why my brother is an Indians fan.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
How much are tickets for the Sox game? Like walk up tickets.. because you make it sound like $5 is some huge deal when you can get a ticket to the Astros game for $7, and that's with no deals..

The cheapest Sox tickets you can get are upper deck reserved for $12 on a Monday.