5/11 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 11, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
You asked an opposing player to hit a HR? Why? You like watching the Barons lose?

Yes, I asked him personally. We shook hands and I asked him how the Reds and Astros organizations treated him. He said the Reds treat him good, but the Astros didn't though. I told him he knows what Matt Zaleski throws since they were teammates for so long and that I haven't gotten to see him hit a bomb in two years. He spent parts of three years with the Barons, everybody here loves him, he's like family. I got up and cheered when he hit the homerun. I cheered for him every at bat. I'll cheer on any former Baron who comes back to town. I having a hard time not booing KW Jr.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
If you purchase minor league tickets with actually caring about win-loss records then that's your fault.

Why is supporting and wanting to see a minor league team do well and different to supporting and wanting to see a major league team to well?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Why is supporting and wanting to see a minor league team do well and different to supporting and wanting to see a major league team to well?

Because in the grand scheme of things the record just doesn't matter. I mean, have you ever watched or went to check a minor league boxscore and said "f***! they lost!" I mean honestly. If they do well that's a bonus. No problem. But do you think Nationals fans care about the record of their low A affiliate or the progress of Bryce Harper? Or Angels fans with how Mike Trout is doing or their AA record? It's all meaningless.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'll say one thing. The record of the Twins' AA and AAA teams these last seasons is a serious concern.

Development is one thing, but they've compiled the worst record in the minors in 2010 and 2011 and it's now reflected at the major league level as well.

When a major league team is having difficulty succeeding in terms of w/l record, they group all their prospects together and hope that they'll developing a "winning" habit that won't be so negatively counteracted when they get to the big leagues with a team like the Royals or Pirates.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Because in the grand scheme of things the record just doesn't matter. I mean, have you ever watched or went to check a minor league boxscore and said "f***! they lost!" I mean honestly. If they do well that's a bonus. No problem. But do you think Nationals fans care about the record of their low A affiliate or the progress of Bryce Harper? Or Angels fans with how Mike Trout is doing or their AA record? It's all meaningless.

If that's your local team, and you have gone to their games over your life, then I can definitely see it. I mean, I can imagine there are fans who live in Charlotte who follow the players that graduate to the Sox, but honestly don't give a damn if the Sox win a game, and only care about Charlotte. So I can definitely see it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

You're not understanding. Some people are fans of minor league teams and therefore want to see them do well. They don't give a s*** about what the prospects do, they just want to see the team win. Some people would buy Barons tickets to watch the prospects (you or I), others would buy Barons tickets to watch the Barons (John, I presume). See the difference?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 11, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
You're not understanding. Some people are fans of minor league teams and therefore want to see them do well. They don't give a s*** about what the prospects do, they just want to see the team win. Some people would buy Barons tickets to watch the prospects (you or I), others would buy Barons tickets to watch the Barons (John, I presume). See the difference?

You're right. I get that. I'm just saying it has no impact on he future of the big league club.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I'll cheer on any former Baron who comes back to town. I having a hard time not booing KW Jr.

So, you will cheer him when he leaves town and comes back to visit then, right?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 11, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Kenny Williams Jr. is literally the slowest runner on the Barons roster. He runs like he has a piano strapped to his back.

And yet, supposedly, he supplies ENERGY TO THE LEADOFF SPOT.