Are White Sox prospects age appropriate?

danman31

Recently I had a discussion about the state of the White Sox system and the age of prospects at certain levels was one of the points of contention. A number of Sox farmhands are off to hot starts in leagues where they are older than the competition. Obviously, it's early in the year so start complaining about promotions not happening is silly, but it got me thinking. Just how old is too old for each level?

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1M5bboISN

I know a lot of people have been b****ing about this lately and here's some numbers to back it up. We got some old A balls teams.

We do have some players who are too old for their level but our true prospects aren't. For example, Trayce Thompson, Dayan, Danks 2, Wilkins are all age appropriate for where they're playing, you could even include Mitchell in this list if you take into consideration that he missed a year of development with his injury.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 11, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
We do have some players who are too old for their level but our true prospects aren't. For example, Trayce Thompson, Dayan, Danks 2, Wilkins are all age appropriate for where they're playing, you could even include Mitchell in this list if you take into consideration that he missed a year of development with his injury.

They're age appropriate, but if Wilkins or Danks has to repeat a level they're not going to have much value. Not much room for error, which I think especially applies to Mitchell.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 11, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
They're age appropriate, but if Wilkins or Danks has to repeat a level they're not going to have much value. Not much room for error, which I think especially applies to Mitchell.

Depends on what you mean by value. Trade value can be less than the value of a player to the team holding him

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Depends on what you mean by value. Trade value can be less than the value of a player to the team holding him

Absolutely, but the way Kenny treats prospects maybe that's more important.

Fantastic article and interesting premise. You'd think that if we were holding guys a little longer we'd see them more prepared to play but I think the real reason we see more guys at older ages is because we have very few elite prospects that can be moved up and a lot more organizational guys which we'll keep at various levels to help the win/loss of those teams. There are exceptions to that of course though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 11, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Recently I had a discussion about the state of the White Sox system and the age of prospects at certain levels was one of the points of contention. A number of Sox farmhands are off to hot starts in leagues where they are older than the competition. Obviously, it's early in the year so start complaining about promotions not happening is silly, but it got me thinking. Just how old is too old for each level?

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1M5bboISN

I know a lot of people have been b****ing about this lately and here's some numbers to back it up. We got some old A balls teams.

This is excellent. And further confirms the ineptness of this organization's player development.