Joe Valentine

Jim Fainter

David Clyde anyone?

Well Wagner at least came out of college, so he should have a better handle on things. I doubt the Reds willl screw around with him like the Rangers did with Clyde if he can't cut it, and so far he's done alright.

IP H ER HR BB SO WHIP ERA

8.2 3 2 2 1 9 0.46 2.08

Well Wagner at least came out of college, so he should have a better handle on things. I doubt the Reds willl screw around with him like the Rangers did with Clyde if he can't cut it, and so far he's done alright.

IP  H ER HR BB SO WHIP ERA

8.2 3  2  2  1  9 0.46 2.08

I don't know, the Reds organization is a mess right now. They are looking for anyone who has a hint of pitching. I almost think we should call them and offer them Koch and White to see what we could get.

Valentine's numbers (ERA-wise) were a little over-inflated due to playing in the hitter-friendly PCL, but his walks are still a huge sticking point with me. If he irons out his command, he could be a setup man or even a closer, but with control problems he is destined to fail.

Rex, I take you knew Joe when he was with the Barons.  What was your reaction when we included him in the Foulke/Koch trade?

I never really felt good about the Koch deal on any level, but I didn't hate it either. I took a wait and see approach to it, yet deep down I didn't think it was a great trade for the Sox.

I hated to see the Sox give up on Joe because he can be so dominating, but at the same time heard Cotts was solid and was open-minded to the trade being good for the Sox at the MLB level, despite my initial fears.

I recently spoke with one of the A's higher level scouts and he told me they weren't down on Valentine at all and that they still liked him. He ackowledged his control issues and struggles, but said they weren't worried long term.

I agree with MSF and Cerb that his control is what will make him or break him in the Big Leagues. He has an excellent fastball and a nasty slider. Joe was truly a great guy and is a guy anyone would root for if they had met him. Time will tell whether he can get the walks under control well enough to succeed at that level.