Gray Claimed by Mariners

Mariners Claim Jeff Gray

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [May 13, 2011 at 1:18pm CST]

The Mariners claimed Jeff Gray off of waivers from the White Sox, according to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times (on Twitter). The White Sox designated the right-hander for assignment earlier in the week. Seattle has yet to announce a corresponding move.

Gray, 29, had pitched 13 1/3 innings for the White Sox this year, with 4.7 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9. He has a 4.36 ERA with 5.7 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 53 2/3 career innings with the Athletics, Cubs and White Sox.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/05/mari...-jeff-gray.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Man Gray went from being an afterthought when he got called up, to a major leaguer. No one expected him to do anything but be awful when he was here, and he goes out and is really effective. Crazy.

And gets DFA'd, lack of accountability strikes again (trademarked by Milkman)!!!

Reminds me of the decision not to re-sign DJ Carrasco.

He's the kind of guy who serves as an inspiration for hundreds of minor leaguers of perseverance being rewarded...but instead the White Sox usually stick with veteran players like Pierre, Pena and Teahen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I find it hilarious how upset people are that Jeff Gray is no longer on our roster.

Yeah, yeah, I get that he's outpitched Pena, and that Pierre is PE#1 and Mark Teahen is still on the roster etc...but I still find this comical.

It's been a slow buildup of these types of things.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I find it hilarious how upset people are that Jeff Gray is no longer on our roster.

Yeah, yeah, I get that he's outpitched Pena, and that Pierre is PE#1 and Mark Teahen is still on the roster etc...but I still find this comical.

I find it comical when people go crazy over one loss, but when you are playing .350 baseball than it is fitting.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Major league teams generally don't enforce "accountability" by cutting veteran players. That's not really the way it works.

You mean like how the Blue Jays didn't release Frank Thomas in 2008, even though he was one of the greatest hitters of the previous 25 years and was a 500 home run hitter?

You release players who are bad. Tony Pena is bad.

---

I'm relatively upset about this, with the key word being relatively. It's not worth arguing or fighting about nor am I going to lose sleep over it, but it seems quite clear to me that Jeff Gray is a superior option to Tony Pena. There are a lot of options that are superior to Tony Pena. Perhaps he has taken on the role of Jenks and brings candy to the bullpen and keeps guys loose or what have you, but Pena is really bad, whereas Jeff Gray is only bad.

People are upset about losing Jeff Gray? Jeff Gray? Really?

People, he did fine, but it was 13 innings in garbage time. If he was as valuable as you think, the White Sox wouldn't have had to place him on waivers, they could have traded him for something, anything, but apparently no team was willing to give KW anything.

Its not what you've done the last couple weeks, its what they project you will do the rest of the season. The odds are pretty good that Pena will have a stretch of 13 innings with a 2.70 ERA this year, and they are pretty good that Gray will have a stretch of 10 innings where his ERA is 8.10. As bad as Pena has been, he's a better and more valuable pitcher than Jeff Gray.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)

People, he did fine, but it was 13 innings in garbage time. If he was as valuable as you think, the White Sox wouldn't have had to place him on waivers, they could have traded him for something, anything, but apparently no team was willing to give KW anything.

All though I am shocked he got claimed so quickly.

A veteran won out over a journeyman. I always hate it when we lose someone to waiver caims and we seem to get those "out of option guys" but it is what it is. Gray did good and as management said we need to see more out of Pena now. But, I was not surprised Gray was demoted. He did well over a stretch of games, but there was no guarantee he could be effective over the course of the year and his past record doesn't really instill confidence.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)

It's all relative. I'm more upset when a fly lands on my arm than about the White Sox losing Jeff Gray, but they both still upset me.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 14, 2011 -> 07:00 AM)
KW tryin to see if Pena is still the reliever he thought he was getting in the Brandon Allen trade.

They've had almost 2 years to do that. He's proven to be really bad.

Edited by witesoxfan