I have hope

danman31

Obviously, April was unbearable. I work evenings and missed almost every game after the first week and didn't feel the least bit bad about it. I'm not going to say I have a great feel for this year's team because I've barely watched them BUT...

I still think the White Sox can win the division.

Yes, the Sox have are tied for the 2nd worst record in the AL, but I still believe they have the best talent in the division. Also, the team I still view as the biggest threat is the Twins, who are behind the Sox. The Tigers, the only other reasonable threat, are 5 games ahead of the Sox. Granted, that's a solid chunk, but I'm still 90% sure the Indians are a bad baseball team and the Royals are still a year or two away. 5 games out in the first half of May is nothing. Teams 3 or 4 games back at the trading deadline still are considered buyers. 5 games at this point in the year isn't a death sentence. Peavy is back, Humber has been a revelation and the offense can't possibly be this bad the rest of the year. The Sox have won 5 of 6 and should continue to turn it around.

I'm not saying I'm picking the Sox to win the division, but I think they still have a reasonable shot. Who's with me?

/positivity (please quote this for later reference, I'll never be offended for being too optimistic and maybe I end up looking like a genius)

If we can just go 10-9 the next 19 games against TEX/CLE/LAD and then survive another 10 game road trip to Texas, Toronto and Boston.

That's the big if for now.

At that point, we've finally got to beat 2/3 Detroit at home (they have a current eight game winning streak against us) AND sweep the Mariners out of USCF. Doing all that, we'd still be 2 games under .500 but with far and away the most difficult portion of the season out of the way.

Then it would mostly be a battle within the AL Central itself to see who survives, like it has been every season since 2005.

B-League taketh and giveth away. I guess, in the overall scheme of things, he handed one game to us as well on the road.

And we're 2-1 against the Indians. It always comes down to play in interleague and the AL Central internecine warfare down the stretch. Obviously their home record can't stand up, and they're going to have to prove they can win on the road against the big boys.

The "hope" in the title...it stems from Peavy and having at least one weapon in Viciedo lurking in the minors. That's at least two bullets we have left. Or perhaps that Ozzie will recognize Pierre's no longer an everyday player.

When you have a 44 year old 3B who's played the 14th most games in MLB history, what else do you have? A hope and a prayer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:48 AM)
If the Sox don't win the division, I really hope the Indians or Royals take it just so that people will have to see and admit that it is possible.

Me too. I don't the Indians or Royals are bad teams this year and I think Cleveland easily could win the division.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)
If the Sox don't win the division, I really hope the Indians or Royals take it just so that people will have to see and admit that it is possible.

not gonna happen brah

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)

I'd want either to win just because that means the Twins and Tigers, two teams I despise, won't. And anybody could admit the Royals somehow winning it would be the best story in sports.

I've been on the positivity train since day 1.. I spent a day or two in the "fun-bad" car, but I never left the train. This team can fire off wins at a solid clip. They've now won 6 of 8. They're getting creative with this 6 man rotation thing, the kids in the minors are putting up numbers, and the big league bats are starting to come around. I'm in. I expect the Sox to compete for the division, and I hope they win it.

If they don't win it, I hope it's the Royals because parity is good for the game.

I believe 100% that Cleveland will not win the division. I also don't believe that April into the beginning of May is the "norm" for this team. Do we have a chance? Yes we do. We have more talent than any team in this division. Did we dig too deep of a hole? Well, that is the $126 million question. First things first they cannot slump into the end of this month, or they won't get the chance to prove whether they can win or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2011 -> 06:49 AM)
I believe 100% that Cleveland will not win the division. I also don't believe that April into the beginning of May is the "norm" for this team. Do we have a chance? Yes we do. We have more talent than any team in this division. Did we dig too deep of a hole? Well, that is the $126 million question. First things first they cannot slump into the end of this month, or they won't get the chance to prove whether they can win or not.

Yeah, they've kind of used up all of their slumps, that's the way I see it. They can have a few streaks of mediocrity but going 4-16 over 20 games exhausted their life lines for the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)

I don't think anyone believed Cleveland would hold onto the division in 2007 either.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
Obviously, April was unbearable. I work evenings and missed almost every game after the first week and didn't feel the least bit bad about it. I'm not going to say I have a great feel for this year's team because I've barely watched them BUT...

I still think the White Sox can win the division.

Yes, the Sox have are tied for the 2nd worst record in the AL, but I still believe they have the best talent in the division. Also, the team I still view as the biggest threat is the Twins, who are behind the Sox. The Tigers, the only other reasonable threat, are 5 games ahead of the Sox. Granted, that's a solid chunk, but I'm still 90% sure the Indians are a bad baseball team and the Royals are still a year or two away. 5 games out in the first half of May is nothing. Teams 3 or 4 games back at the trading deadline still are considered buyers. 5 games at this point in the year isn't a death sentence. Peavy is back, Humber has been a revelation and the offense can't possibly be this bad the rest of the year. The Sox have won 5 of 6 and should continue to turn it around.

I'm not saying I'm picking the Sox to win the division, but I think they still have a reasonable shot. Who's with me?

/positivity (please quote this for later reference, I'll never be offended for being too optimistic and maybe I end up looking like a genius)

I'm in :)

Hopefully the players deliver!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't think anyone believed Cleveland would hold onto the division in 2007 either.

Really? That's a totally different scenario. You're comparing a team that was 2 years removed from 93 wins to a team this year that's mostly devoid of pitching talent and is somehow pitching well. I'd be surprised if the Indians finish over .500.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Really? That's a totally different scenario. You're comparing a team that was 2 years removed from 93 wins to a team this year that's mostly devoid of pitching talent and is somehow pitching well. I'd be surprised if the Indians finish over .500.

False.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)

And has what, 9 walk off wins on the season? That is insane. Like 40% of there wins are in the final at bat.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 14, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2011/05/...ell-yeah-sorta/

I don't think any person in baseball would argue that Carmona, Alex White or Justin Masterson aren't talented.

Jeanmar Gomez, fine, I'll give you.

But until Tomlin and Talbot and Carlos Carrasco (who's injured) prove they are complete frauds, as well as LHP Drew Pomeranz in AAA, they look to be in a lot better shape than we are, and certainly going forward into the future.