Omar Vizquel

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 16, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
Morel needs more AB in the majors. He doesn't have holes in his swing, he just looks overmatched. He needs reps against good pitching.

Also, nothing Omar Vizquel can do is going to turn this team around. He's a very useful piece, but it's in this team;s best interest to let Morel figure it out at the major league level.

Agreed completely, and this is where I have a problem with Ozzie and rookie hitters. He's got a plus UZR right now (though still early) so he's not killing you in the field. It is just disappointing the sox have started off this way. If we were in better shape, I think Ozzie still gives Morel consistent at bats, especially with his defense on the field but since we are under .500, he has to play who is actually hitting. (though Morel is batting .388 in his last 5 games) I haven't caught alot of sox games this year since I work the night shift, so maybe I don't understand the whole issue.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Agreed completely, and this is where I have a problem with Ozzie and rookie hitters. He's got a plus UZR right now (though still early) so he's not killing you in the field. It is just disappointing the sox have started off this way. If we were in better shape, I think Ozzie still gives Morel consistent at bats, especially with his defense on the field but since we are under .500, he has to play who is actually hitting. (though Morel is batting .388 in his last 5 games) I haven't caught alot of sox games this year since I work the night shift, so maybe I don't understand the whole issue.

This is how it always goes with Ozzie and a kid.

The kid gets 60 at bats. 75 if we're lucky. If he hasn't started hitting by then, he enters the doghouse and whatever guy Ozzie likes more starts getting all the at bats, while the young guy lingers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)

The kid gets 60 at bats. 75 if we're lucky. If he hasn't started hitting by then, he enters the doghouse and whatever guy Ozzie likes more starts getting all the at bats, while the young guy lingers.

Which still leaves Ryan Sweeney (sort of) as the only Sox position player who's received the "Ozzie Treatment" and gone on to have success with another organization.

If we can rescue failing players from other organizations, why haven't all the teams in MLB been able to fix the likes of Borchard, Fields, Anderson, Michael Morse, Jeremy Reed, Getz, etc.? It's hard not to arrive at the conclusion that they weren't that good in the first place...although some will argue we somehow messed them all up beyond repair. Doesn't their later failures with multiple organizations support Ozzie's position that they weren't good enough to play?

When we brought in Alexei (and this was when he was still being compared to Ramon Santiago), Iguchi and Beckham, they played almost everyday from the beginning. Same with Quentin (albeit not quite a rookie in 2008) after Owens went down in ST.

Is it not possible that Morel's just not meant to be a regular at 3B because of his lack of sufficient power (same argument as was applied to Sweeney) and that he would never would have come close to being ranked #3 in another team's sytem?

We can argue Ozzie will stick with "bad" veteran players but not "bad" and unproven youngsters...?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Is it not possible that Morel's just not meant to be a regular at 3B because of his lack of sufficient power (same argument as was applied to Sweeney) and that he would never would have come close to being ranked #3 in another team's sytem?

Really, no. Morel has solid power, .50 points more OPS than Sweeney ever had, to go along with 10-15 more 2b a season in the minors as well. He's a legitimate bat, he just hasn't gotten the knack of hitting big league pitching just yet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
Which still leaves Ryan Sweeney (sort of) as the only Sox position player who's received the "Ozzie Treatment" and gone on to have success with another organization.

If we can rescue failing players from other organizations, why haven't all the teams in MLB been able to fix the likes of Borchard, Fields, Anderson, Michael Morse, Jeremy Reed, Getz, etc.? It's hard not to arrive at the conclusion that they weren't that good in the first place...although some will argue we somehow messed them all up beyond repair. Doesn't their later failures with multiple organizations support Ozzie's position that they weren't good enough to play?

When we brought in Alexei (and this was when he was still being compared to Ramon Santiago), Iguchi and Beckham, they played almost everyday from the beginning. Same with Quentin (albeit not quite a rookie in 2008) after Owens went down in ST.

We can argue Ozzie will stick with "bad" veteran players but not "bad" and unproven youngsters...?

Really that is a good point. If kids were leaving the Sox after failing under Ozzie and being studs somewhere else, that would be a clear indictment of Ozzie. But it really isn't happening.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 16, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
Morel needs more AB in the majors. He doesn't have holes in his swing, he just looks overmatched. He needs reps against good pitching.

Also, nothing Omar Vizquel can do is going to turn this team around. He's a very useful piece, but it's in this team;s best interest to let Morel figure it out at the major league level.

Well and that's the $64,000 question... are the Sox trying to win here in 2011 or set themselves up nicely for 2012?

If the answer is 2011, then you've got to put the best performing players on the field, every day.

If the answer is 2012, then you put Morel at 3B and bring up Viciedo to play LF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)

I'm glad people are starting to come around to this, but why has it taken so long to realize this?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 17, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Well and that's the $64,000 question... are the Sox trying to win here in 2011 or set themselves up nicely for 2012?

If the answer is 2011, then you've got to put the best performing players on the field, every day.

If the answer is 2012, then you put Morel at 3B and bring up Viciedo to play LF.

That part doesn't exactly fit. If you're trying to win in 2011, you play Viciedo in LF right now.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
I'm glad people are starting to come around to this, but why has it taken so long to realize this?

Because it takes 3 or more occurrences to label something a trend. Previously you could just use the excuse that he didn't like Anderson.