Why don't teams steal 2nd every time against us?

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Isn't the success rate damn near 100% now? Are we just lucky they aren't doing it every time even average speed is on 1B? Would you run like crazy against us?

They do every chance they get.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
No, not really. I couldn't tell you how many times over the weekend, there were chances for Oakland to run, and they didn't.

Both of the times Crisp stole 2nd yesterday, he went on first move. If our pitcher had thrown over to 1b, he'd have been meat, but both times he picked out that the pitcher was going home. One was on Buehrle, one was on Crain.

Is it possible only us chronic fans know that AJ's success rate is pretty much 0% now? I find that so hard to believe but yet teams continue not to really push it against us. I'd love to manage a 3 game series against us; I might send every guy that isn't fat.

I'll be honest and say I hadn't paid a lot of attention to it until last night. It seemed like AJ should have just tossed the ball back to the pitcher. I don't think they were close to catching any of them. Part of it was they weren't being held on too tightly. A couple tosses over to 1st base to "keep him close", that was about it. The other part was that AJ's throws were not very good.

It was definitely frustrating to watch.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Is it possible only us chronic fans know that AJ's success rate is pretty much 0% now? I find that so hard to believe but yet teams continue not to really push it against us. I'd love to manage a 3 game series against us; I might send every guy that isn't fat.

Hell, you could send the fat guys because they wouldn't be expecting it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 17, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
I'll be honest and say I hadn't paid a lot of attention to it until last night. It seemed like AJ should have just tossed the ball back to the pitcher. I don't think they were close to catching any of them. Part of it was they weren't being held on too tightly. A couple tosses over to 1st base to "keep him close", that was about it. The other part was that AJ's throws were not very good.

It was definitely frustrating to watch.

Pitchers who can't keep runners close, can't adjust their timing when in the strtetch and such and have slow deliveries to the plate is the problem. AJP can't do much about that

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Pitchers who can't keep runners close, can't adjust their timing when in the strtetch and such and have slow deliveries to the plate is the problem. AJP can't do much about that

Stone really broke the numbers down in good detail. Last night, AJ didn't have a chance because of Edwin.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Stone really broke the numbers down in good detail. Last night, AJ didn't have a chance because of Edwin.

Why is it always one thing or another on this site?

It is obvious, and I mean plain as day, that it's both the pitcher and AJ. The pitchers do a terrible job of holding guys and most of them have slow deliveries, but AJ is just f***ing terrible.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Why is it always one thing or another on this site?

It is obvious, and I mean plain as day, that it's both the pitcher and AJ. The pitchers do a terrible job of holding guys and most of them have slow deliveries, but AJ is just f***ing terrible.

1.5 seconds to home plate is murder for a catcher. Despite your temper, that is the truth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
1.5 seconds to home plate is murder for a catcher. Despite your temper, that is the truth.

What temper? Jeez, I couldn't be any more calm than I have been over the last month.

And yes, it's murder for a catcher, but it's even worse for a bad catcher. Don't argue that AJ is any good back there because you know that he's bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
According to Stone's numbers, AJP is actually average to second.

That was "Speed" though, there's several elements to a successful throw. Accuracy counts as well. Being able to get a throw off on a good pitch counts.

This has been happening for years now. Every one runs on the White Sox. Only Buerhle (maybe Danks) can hold runners close. Maybe this is something the great Coop should "fix".

A.J. is a very good reciever but is slow down to second. Really slow.

Beckham and Ramirez do not get good position to make a tag.

If our philosophy is so heavy on getting ahead in the count and throwing strikes then pitch outs can not be used.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:13 AM)
According to Stone's numbers, AJP is actually average to second.

I hate how Hawk and Stone have some excuse for every failed throw to second. The only excuse never used is that AJ can't throw anybody out. This has been going on for years now. Freddy is slow, EJax is slow blah blah. So let me understand this, we are supposed to alter deliveries instead of getting a catcher with an arm? Line up the surgeons.