Teahen on DL, McPherson recalled from AAA

flavum

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
Whoever hits leadoff would be as much of a leadoff hitter as Juan Pierre has been. It would be damn near impossible to suck as much at getting on base and stealing bases as Pierre has.

Remember the debacle of putting a non-leadoff type guy with a career high OBP in the leadoff spot? Ozzie does. When the Sox tried Swisher who had a high career OBP, he couldn't handle the leadoff position and had his worst year. This experiment just reinforced Ozzie's idea of the leadoff hitter archetype.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
It's not the move itself.

The hilariousness of "All In" just got more pronounced.

If you want to look at an organization that's truly "All In," it's the Royals, who are taking a shot this year even though it might end up costing them ten of millions with Hosmer.

Viciedo is a sunk cost. We're already committed to paying him $10 million plus. And it's not like we didn't see him have the ability to hit last year. He was pretty much signed TO HIT, with that as his #1 skill.

Yet somehow, when we're going up against teams like TEX, CLE, the Dodgers, then hit the road against Texas, Toronto and Boston, we're supposed to be inspired that Dallas McPherson will actually contribute something positive???

It's predictable, but it sucks and I have a feeling we'll be wondering months or years from now if bringing up Viciedo earlier could have sparked the White Sox offense instead of going down in flames with the veteran Pierre.

Caulfield, this is an awesome post.

Viciedo is learning to play the OF. This is a fill in measure until Teahan is back healthy. Question is when we send McPherson down do we lose him like we did Gray? We do not need to call up Viciedo yet and if we did and he made some boo-boos in the OF costing us a game I am sure we would be screaming about that too

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
Remember the debacle of putting a non-leadoff type guy with a career high OBP in the leadoff spot? Ozzie does. When the Sox tried Swisher who had a high career OBP, he couldn't handle the leadoff position and had his worst year. This experiment just reinforced Ozzie's idea of the leadoff hitter archetype.

I can certainly remember the debacle of having Juan Pierre in the leadoff spot :lolhitting

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Viciedo is learning to play the OF. This is a fill in measure until Teahan is back healthy. Question is when we send McPherson down do we lose him like we did Gray? We do not need to call up Viciedo yet and if we did and he made some boo-boos in the OF costing us a game I am sure we would be screaming about that too

Then expect extra screaming the next time Pierre makes one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
It's not the move itself.

The hilariousness of "All In" just got more pronounced.

If you want to look at an organization that's truly "All In," it's the Royals, who are taking a shot this year even though it might end up costing them ten of millions with Hosmer.

Viciedo is a sunk cost. We're already committed to paying him $10 million plus. And it's not like we didn't see him have the ability to hit last year. He was pretty much signed TO HIT, with that as his #1 skill.

Yet somehow, when we're going up against teams like TEX, CLE, the Dodgers, then hit the road against Texas, Toronto and Boston, we're supposed to be inspired that Dallas McPherson will actually contribute something positive???

It's predictable, but it sucks and I have a feeling we'll be wondering months or years from now if bringing up Viciedo earlier could have sparked the White Sox offense instead of going down in flames with the veteran Pierre.

QFT.

If your offense has been as stagnent as ours has, even during a good road trip, why not look within your organization for some spark? You have a good young hitter that has already proven he can hit MLB pitching just sitting in the minors.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
If neither Lillibridge nor Vizquel can handle the full time duty, perhaps they can share it . Rios hasn't been much of a run producer, that's for sure. But he's fast and is a better hitter than Pierre.

I can look at the back of Roberto Alomar's baseball card. I think he'd be a great fit as our leadoff hitter. Oh wait, his skill set is so diminished that he cannot suffice anymore? That seems to be the same problem with Pierre. Oh well, Pierre is already on the team so he should be fine.

It boils down to this. The best argument anyone can make in favor of this move is "it is what it is."

I'm not not making an argument that it's right. I'm just saying this is what he is going to do, and it's probably not different from what most managers would do. There really isn't another option currently on this team or in the system from Ozzie's point of view. I see his rationale but I don't really agree with it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 17, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Teahen doesn't play third, either anymore. It boils down to the fact that Dayan is eons better than Juan Pierre. And we have to probably the fourth best hitter in the entire organization in AAA for no reason.

Teahan does play third and when he is back and Morel is still not hitting I would expect to see more Mark Teahan at 3B

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
I know you dislike Ozzie but this is what he and most other mangers will do. You can let it frustrate you all you want but it's not changing.

Then KW needs to make it change. He can tell Ozzie to start Viciedo on a regular basis in LF or he can lose his job. He should not give a f*** what Ozzie believes makes sense. KW needs to do whatever gives his team its best chance to win and that is calling up Viciedo and DFA'ing Pierre. Time is running out. If I were KW, I'd make these moves soon, because missing the playoffs will probably cost me my job.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)

First of all, who the f*** cares if we lose McPherson?

As has already been said, Juan Pierre has been dreadful in the outfield. But we shouldn't make that move because Viciedo could potentially be worse while also potentially giving us far greater offensive production.

Why do you say that we don't have to call up Viciedo yet? Because we seem to be playing pretty terribly and we could use any amount of help that we can get.

But you know what we should do? Just stick with the status quo for another month or two. That ought to get us right out of the hole that we've dug ourselves.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)

That's a given, but I am not giving up on Pierre. It's a bit too early to say JP is done. however, he needs to show us he still has gas left in the tank

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm not not making an argument that it's right. I'm just saying this is what he is going to do, and it's probably not different from what most managers would do. There really isn't another option currently on this team or in the system from Ozzie's point of view. I see his rationale but I don't really agree with it.

OK, I don't agree with it either. But if he refuses to change his rationale and open his eyes, then he has to go. What are we arguing about?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
But you know what we should do? Just stick with the status quo for another month or two. That ought to get us right out of the hole that we've dug ourselves.

If you want this to be the end of the Ozzie Guillen era, that's exactly what should be done.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Then KW needs to make it change. He can tell Ozzie to start Viciedo on a regular basis in LF or he can lose his job. He should not give a f*** what Ozzie believes makes sense. KW needs to do whatever gives his team its best chance to win and that is calling up Viciedo and DFA'ing Pierre. Time is running out. If I were KW, I'd make these moves soon, because missing the playoffs will probably cost me my job.

I've already mentioned this, but Kenny Williams does not have the power to fire Ozzie Guillen. It's a major problem.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
I've already mentioned this, but Kenny Williams does not have the power to fire Ozzie Guillen. It's a major problem.

I think I've said this before as well...but if that's true, then KW needs to hand in his resignation letter.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
First of all, who the f*** cares of we lose McPherson?

As has already been said, Juan Pierre has been dreadful in the outfield. But we shouldn't make that move because Viciedo could potentially be worse while also potentially giving us far greater offensive production.

Why do you say that we don't have to call up Viciedo yet? Because we seem to be playing pretty terribly and we could use any amount of help that we can get.

We just might be digging ourselves out of the hole in a month or two or three. There is stil plenty of baseball left and we have talent. They just need to put things together. The point is there is time. You are in it for the long haul not looking to change your whole team every week because they lose some games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
I think I've said this before as well...but if that's true, then KW needs to hand in his resignation letter.

Do you really think Ozzie Guillen is the problem? Or are you just making an observation/comment about the power a GM should have?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
If you want this to be the end of the Ozzie Guillen era, that's exactly what should be done.

That's the only thing that keeps me going, Balta. The only ray of hope at the end of this tunnel is that it will necessitate some big changes. That has been my biggest hope since the first few weeks of the season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
We just might be digging ourselves out of the hole in a month or two or three. There is stil plenty of baseball left and we have talent. They just need to put things together. The point is there is time. You are in it for the long haul not looking to change your whole team every week because they lose some games.

Saying that a couple weeks ago might have been more accurate.

The 6-3 road trip bought you a reprieve...but if this team can't figure out how to play at the Cell they might very well undo that the next couple days.

My deadline was "Memorial day". We're 8 games below .500 right now. 8 games below .500 on Memorial day is just about "Blow it all up" time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)

Here's the thing. Juan Pierre is not part of the future of this ballclub (says this with fingers crossed for 2012).

Dayan Viciedo is, and now is as good a time as any to find out. We have to be willing to accept the errors, it's part of the growing process.

The main thing to me is that Viciedo has the potential to carry the team with his bat, Pierre has the potential to do what exactly? Even if he started hitting and getting on base at a higher percentage, his speed and confidence are gone.

Didn't Ozzie already learn this with Pods?

The greatest value Pods had the second go-around was he actually played better defense and was one of our best clutch hitters, actually.

The problem with Pierre is he can't even hit a sacrifice fly and he's now starting to hit into DP's too because his speed is so diminished.

Pods actually retained his burst getting down to 1B. It seems Juan has lost 2 steps there, as well.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
Do you really think Ozzie Guillen is the problem? Or are you just making an observation/comment about the power a GM should have?

The latter.

A GM who doesn't have the right to fire a coach ought to resign, because he's not a GM any more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)

You would hope that he has that sort of integrity, but even that would leave the team in a bad position. If a person as outgoing and vocal as KW can't get Ozzie out, there is no chance for a guy like Hahn or whoever the replacement is. Ozzie would run this ship from top to bottom.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
Saying that a couple weeks ago might have been more accurate.

The 6-3 road trip bought you a reprieve...but if this team can't figure out how to play at the Cell they might very well undo that the next couple days.

My deadline was "Memorial day". We're 8 games below .500 right now. 8 games below .500 on Memorial day is just about "Blow it all up" time.

We have seen a lot of things (good and bad) happen after the all-star break. I think we still can turn this ship around

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
You would hope that he has that sort of integrity, but even that would leave the team in a bad position. If a person as outgoing and vocal as KW can't get Ozzie out, there is no chance for a guy like Hahn or whoever the replacement is. Ozzie would run this ship from top to bottom.

Ozzie Guillen is not the problem here