Teahen on DL, McPherson recalled from AAA

flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Lillibridge is not an everyday option. Take a look at his minor league numbers before proposing that. He can be our 25th man while he's still producing, but do not move him into a role where he will surely fail.

At this point, I really do what to see what the Stealth Elf can do with more AB's. He's done nothing but produce in the bigs for the last 2 years as a backup.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
At this point, I really do what to see what the Stealth Elf can do with more AB's. He's done nothing but produce in the bigs for the last 2 years as a backup.

The problem is that the more often he has played, the less he has produced. IMO he has utilityman written all over him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
f*** man, whatever. There is obviously not going to be any meaningful discussion here. You keep right on waiting patiently and making no necessary changes.

I think that's the problem. Complaining about the same things over and over again isn't really meaningful discussion either.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
At some point Kenny just needs to tell Ozzie "I'm bringing up Dayan, you need to play him and that's that". I mean look at the crowds. There is no interest in this team.

At some point Jerry just needs to fire Kenny and Ozzie

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
I think that's the problem. Complaining about the same things over and over again isn't really meaningful discussion either.

At least I'm coming up with arguments for my stance. "There's plenty of time" is the weakest thing you can possibly retaliate with.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
OK, I don't agree with it either. But if he refuses to change his rationale and open his eyes, then he has to go. What are we arguing about?

I wasn't saying that I disagreed with you. What I said was that this is the way Ozzie will operate and probably the way most managers will operate so while your points have some validity, nothing is going to change. They will always look for the sterotypical leadoff hitter and it mostly likely won't change even if Ozzie is gone. You can get mad about it but in the end it will just drive you crazy.

Like my problems with the Adam Dunn type hitter. Because he puts the ball in play at a low rate due to the huge amounts of walks and strikeouts he loses many opportunities to drive in runs. With a guy on 3rd he would just need to make contact to drive him in but the walks look good in the stats but it doesn't help the team win. Before anyone goes off on me with the advantages of OBP, OPS etc., I understand it's valuable. However it doesn't help me during the game when the offense is struggling and he is looking for walks instead of driving in the run.

You can either let the situation drive you nuts or let it go, because in both situation, it isn't changing.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I didn't finish reading all of the posts, but it should be noted that replacing Pierre with Viciedo would require another move.

That's because Ozzie insists on a stolen base threat at the top of the lineup. Lillibridge is the only even slightly viable candidate for that spot.

Therefore, you would have to find a place for Lillibridge in the infield, with Viciedo, Rios and Quentin in the outfield.

As others have stated, McPherson is simply a left handed power bat off the bench, taking Teahen's place. Viciedo is right handed, and needs to play every day. There is nothing wrong with this move. The Pierre issue still has to be addressed, but this move is an entirely different matter.

Is there anybody else around who the Sox could acquire to play either 3RD or 2ND and fill the lead off spot? Beckham could always go back to 3RD. I still like Lillibridge but it appears that Ozzie doesn't want to go that way. Unless we can find a prototypical leadoff hitter, Viciedo will not replace J. P. in LF. What a shame.

McPherson is filling a role most likely temporarily. Viciedo needs to stay at Charlotte and learn to play the OF. He will be up with the Sox but I am not sure when, but right now he is not the option. McPherson contributed on Tuesday night to a Sox win and made me a happy camper. Morel looked good defensively as he usually does and that three-run homer was just great. I prefer not to think about moving players back and forth and all around to different or new positions. Stability would seem to dictate leaving Beckham at 2B and Ramirez at SS. Third is in flus but I think it is still Morel and Teahan

Playing 2b down in AAA is what the doctor ordered. His swing is a complete and utter disaster. Guy is whiffing at breaking pitches and can't touch a good fastball. If there is one thing I'm sure of, it is that I want Walker gone. I don't blame him but even while we are winning, I've seen too many bad at bats and seen some of our young guys swings get worse under his watch.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Playing 2b down in AAA is what the doctor ordered. His swing is a complete and utter disaster. Guy is whiffing at breaking pitches and can't touch a good fastball. If there is one thing I'm sure of, it is that I want Walker gone. I don't blame him but even while we are winning, I've seen too many bad at bats and seen some of our young guys swings get worse under his watch.

Oh, I agree with this. Lillian suggested moving GB back to third. I don't think that would be in his best interests at all. I'd give GB another couple weeks to show some improvements (and where we are in the standings would factor into this as well). If he's still doing his best Steve Sax impersonation, it's time to send him down. You've seen teams like the Blue Jays and Giants send down top prospects such as Travis Snider and Brandon Belt. This just can't continue. GB is crucial to this team's success, or lack thereof, going forward.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)

Maybe but remember he turned it around last year in the majors. I just think he was rushed to the major leagues to quick and maybe Chris Sale also. They need expereince, but then again playing everyday reagrdless of your stats will give you that expereince aslo. Maybe it will be bad for awhile, but if you have what it takes in the talent dept it can work out

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
At least I'm coming up with arguments for my stance. "There's plenty of time" is the weakest thing you can possibly retaliate with.

I think "give it time" is an argument for my stance or anyone else who believes this too

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
I think "give it time" is an argument for my stance or anyone else who believes this too

They're not making any necessary changes or showing any sort of attitude that would suggest that they understand that they need to perform better. I can say "give it time" and I will have six-pack abs, but I have to actually do the work to get there. Just saying that there's time will amount to nothing.

The team needs a change in personnel and/or aggressiveness.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 19, 2011 -> 01:42 AM)
Can't we send Dunn down and bring up Viciedo? What are the terms of MLB contracts regarding being sent down? Might as well send down Beckham while we are at it.

I'd really like to see a DH platoon of Dunn and Viciedo (LH vs. RH), and have Viciedo in LF or RF while Dunn is DHing half the time. This should give Dayan 4-5 starts a week.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 19, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
I'd really like to see a DH platoon of Dunn and Viciedo (LH vs. RH), and have Viciedo in LF or RF while Dunn is DHing half the time. This should give Dayan 4-5 starts a week.

I don't want to see that at all. We're not paying Dunn $14 million a year to be a platoon guy.

I don't want to see that at all. We're not paying Dunn $14 million a year to be a platoon guy.

Fine, and I maybe agree with you. What if it's a more premium position like 1B.

Danks finally got a W when that happened...

I know that's random, but it look like it woke him up and Danks never seems to get run support.

Thoughts?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer know.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:19 AM)

And we are also not paying him $14M to blow. Until he starts to hit the ball with some power, we may as well insert someone who can. I'm not talking about benching him, I am saying don't play him vs. Lefties, which means what, he still starts 3 out of 5 games?

At the moment we are paying him $14 million to strike out at more than a 40% clip.

That part (K rate) shouldn't be much of a surprise, though. It's the production numbers that need to be normal.

Edited by Andrew

Platooning Dunn in order to get at-bats for DV? Seriously? We are paying the guy 14 million bucks to hit the ball, I admit he has started out slow but he has come on as of late and hit the ball a lot better. People need to stop complaining about the strikeouts too, that's what Dunn does.....strikes out, walks, and hits the ball a country mile. Its not like the guy suddenly turned into a strikeout machine this year, he has ALWAYS been a strikeout machine. When he starts hitting the ball out of the ballpark like he has always been able to the strikeouts will prove to be worth it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:53 AM)
Isnt Dunn hitting over 300 with 8 doubles in his last 8 games?

He has 3 doubles in his last 6 games but is back to hitting .143 over that stretch. He briefly snapped into hitting mode on the early part of the road trip but then the Sox hit Oakland and came home.