5/17 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
You can make the opposite case quite easily here. He's settling into doing exactly what he needs to do, being somewhat patient and killing the ball when pitchers pitch to him. But...he's been doing that for all of what, 2, 3 weeks now, and doing so without having to break through a second slump?

There's benefit long-term to having him getting used to beating people up just like this in AAA.

That doesn't mean this is the best thing for winning the Central this year, but if you want to do the best thing possible for DV's long term development...a few more weeks/a couple months of this level of performance in AAA is the best thing you can do for him.

It is worth noting here that in a very similar situation with the Angels happened exactly the same way the Sox did it. LAA has Mike Trout just absolutely destroying the minor leagues. When Vernon Wells went on to the DL, Trout wasn't even a consideration for a call up despite being a recent #1 draft pick, and putting up .313 ave and 1.001 OPS. Instead they called up Reggie Willits who was hitting .200 with an OPS of .554.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
You can make the opposite case quite easily here. He's settling into doing exactly what he needs to do, being somewhat patient and killing the ball when pitchers pitch to him. But...he's been doing that for all of what, 2, 3 weeks now, and doing so without having to break through a second slump?

There's benefit long-term to having him getting used to beating people up just like this in AAA.

That doesn't mean this is the best thing for winning the Central this year, but if you want to do the best thing possible for DV's long term development...a few more weeks/a couple months of this level of performance in AAA is the best thing you can do for him.

i agree and it's the most likely reason why he is still there. He could be a future star and is progressing nicely. The only thing he hasn't had is patience, so let him continue to work on it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
It is worth noting here that in a very similar situation with the Angels happened exactly the same way the Sox did it. LAA has Mike Trout just absolutely destroying the minor leagues. When Vernon Wells went on to the DL, Trout wasn't even a consideration for a call up despite being a recent #1 draft pick, and putting up .313 ave and 1.001 OPS. Instead they called up Reggie Willits who was hitting .200 with an OPS of .554.

Mike Trout is also 19 years old, and has barely over 100 at-bats above Single-A ball. Dayan has already been in the majors for about the same at-bats Trout has been in AA. I don't think those situations are comparable.

While I agree with you, I think the Sox made the right decision. If they weren't ready to play Viciedo full time, he should have been held in the minors. No point in calling him up, only to have him sit on the bench and PH and play in a couple games. Makes no sense.

When he's called up next, it should be for him to permanently stay. Guy is going to be a great offensive player, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
While I agree with you, I think the Sox made the right decision. If they weren't ready to play Viciedo full time, he should have been held in the minors. No point in calling him up, only to have him sit on the bench and PH and play in a couple games. Makes no sense.

When he's called up next, it should be for him to permanently stay. Guy is going to be a great offensive player, imo.

I will agree with that. I don't want him up to bat five times a week, but I think Ozzie's stubbornness to not realize he is a much better option that Pierre is sickening. That's what really peeves me; that KW and Ozzie for some reason think Pierre is still an adequate player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
I will agree with that. I don't want him up to bat five times a week, but I think Ozzie's stubbornness to not realize he is a much better option that Pierre is sickening. That's what really peeves me; that KW and Ozzie for some reason think Pierre is still an adequate player.

There's just no way they can think that now. I refuse to believe that they are unconditional supporters of JP.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
So sign Minnie Minoso. Depth at AAA is not hard to find.

I know, I was saying that it would be easier to send Viciedo back down. Somebody who may need a bat might claim McPherson, especially if he does well.