Quick question about our FA players

Are we going to get a bunch of draft picks for Buehrle, Jackson, and Quentin when they become FAs this offseason? Are they all supposed to make Type A or Type B status, and expected to be offered ARB? I'm thinking we may have a loaded draft in 2012 with all our draft picks, and having a bad year leading to a good draft pick.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
That will be an interesting decision on Quentin.

Not really, he'll probably get a raise to around $7-8 million and if he continues to hit anything like he has this year while remaining healthy, it's a no brainer.

The problem becomes what the Sox do at leadoff next year, because they seem unwilling to consider other possibilities other than a scrappy singles hitter (Lillibridge the behemoth notwithstanding). Barring something ridiculous, Viciedo should be the opening day left fielder next year and they won't have a traditional leadoff hitter whatsoever anywhere on the roster.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
Not really, he'll probably get a raise to around $7-8 million and if he continues to hit anything like he has this year while remaining healthy, it's a no brainer.

The problem becomes what the Sox do at leadoff next year, because they seem unwilling to consider other possibilities other than a scrappy singles hitter (Lillibridge the behemoth notwithstanding). Barring something ridiculous, Viciedo should be the opening day left fielder next year and they won't have a traditional leadoff hitter whatsoever anywhere on the roster.

Unless the Sox DON'T take Quentin back and use that $7-8M on a free agent LF like David DeJesus or even Grady Sizemore if Kenny wasts to take a chance on his health. Or of course, some sort of trade.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:00 AM)
Unless the Sox DON'T take Quentin back and use that $7-8M on a free agent LF like David DeJesus or even Grady Sizemore if Kenny wasts to take a chance on his health. Or of course, some sort of trade.

Of course, both DeJesus and Sizemore have proven to be pretty injury prone in the past too. Sizemore is obvious, but DeJesus has only played 140 games twice in his career. If Quentin continues his current pace and remains healthy, it just doesn't make sense to get rid of him. Hell, Quentin is at a 0.5 UZR in RF this year. I think that's probably a bit higher than it should be, but it does go to show that when he's healthy, he isn't a terrible fielding outfielder.

As stupid as it sounds, a guy I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox inquire about next year, if Morel's struggles were to continue all year, would be Placido Polanco.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
Quentin isn't a free agent. Buehrle and Jackson are likely to be Type B free agents, and odds are very good that the Sox will offer arbitration to both of them.

Assuming we don't trade both of them first.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the next 2-3 weeks play out. Cross your fingers.

And are the White Sox really willing to spend a minimum of $11.2 million on Buehrle next year?

The problem is that he continues to have a 3.75-4.25 ERA season, the White Sox will clearly lose in arbitration and we'd be on the hook for $12-15 million.

Is this going to be a handshake deal where we offer arbitration but he goes to St. Louis for less money than he would have gotten (at minimum) from the Sox?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 04:25 AM)
Of course, both DeJesus and Sizemore have proven to be pretty injury prone in the past too. Sizemore is obvious, but DeJesus has only played 140 games twice in his career. If Quentin continues his current pace and remains healthy, it just doesn't make sense to get rid of him. Hell, Quentin is at a 0.5 UZR in RF this year. I think that's probably a bit higher than it should be, but it does go to show that when he's healthy, he isn't a terrible fielding outfielder.

As stupid as it sounds, a guy I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox inquire about next year, if Morel's struggles were to continue all year, would be Placido Polanco.

I was just using Sizemore and DeJesus of example of potential leadoff hitting OFers that Kenny may want. I'd rather have Quentin than those two guys, even though Sizemore is one of my favorite players in baseball, he is just too injury prone now.

I was just using Sizemore and DeJesus of example of potential leadoff hitting OFers that Kenny may want. I'd rather have Quentin than those two guys, even though Sizemore is one of my favorite players in baseball, he is just too injury prone now.

[/quote}

Herm will fix him! :headbang

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
Is this going to be a handshake deal where we offer arbitration but he goes to St. Louis for less money than he would have gotten (at minimum) from the Sox?

STOP SAYING MARK IS GOING TO ST. LOUIS. IT'S BEEN WRONG EVERY TIME ITS BEEN SAID SINCE 2006.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
Quentin isn't a free agent. Buehrle and Jackson are likely to be Type B free agents, and odds are very good that the Sox will offer arbitration to both of them.

Unless Buehrle does the time warp again, I can't see us risking him at $14 million or so a year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)

Disagree. If we offer arbitration, they will prob accept and then we are stuck with the salaries. Esp MB.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:37 AM)

This is a huge problem and a huge reason Guillen must go. If he's our manager, LF will always be reserved for a scrappy leadoff hitter. Viciedo and Quentin in the corners is too much power for Guillen. It would remind him too much of Lee and Ordonez. Unlike most AL managers, he'd rather infuse some speed there. If Guillen does return in 2012, the only way Viciedo and Quentin are both in the OF is if a more tradional leadoff is brought in for 2B or 3B. Otherwise, I could see him trying De Aza out there or something similar. Let's just hope Guillen is gone by the end of this season so we can become a normal AL team again.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
Disagree. If we offer arbitration, they will prob accept and then we are stuck with the salaries. Esp MB.

MB could accept, especially considering that he has been playing around with retirement, etc.

Jackson, however, will absolutely NOT accept. He's expected to be one of the top FA starters on the market and will surely get a multiyear deal, at probably more than his current $8m/yr salary, if he continues to pitch like he has (two dominant starts for every one complete disaster). The sandwich pick there is money in the bank, so long as he stays healthy.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
MB could accept, especially considering that he has been playing around with retirement, etc.

Jackson, however, will absolutely NOT accept. He's expected to be one of the top FA starters on the market and will surely get a multiyear deal, at probably more than his current $8m/yr salary, if he continues to pitch like he has (two dominant starts for every one complete disaster). The sandwich pick there is money in the bank, so long as he stays healthy.

MB will either agree to another, lower salary for the Sox, long before an arbitration decision, he'll retire, or he'll go to the Cardinals. There won't be any issues with arbitration, except that we'll have to offer it to get the draft picks if he tells us he's going elsewhere. He won't SCREW us.