JAKE F'N PEAVY!!!

macsandz

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:41 AM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...id=mlb#continue

Merkin game write-up with lots of good quotes.

And Ozzie still wants to manage in the NL and have every game be 1-0, decided on sacrifice bunts/flies, stolen bases and hitting to the right side of the field.

He should trade places with Gardenhire, that style is a lot more suitable for Target Field, Safeco, Oakland Coliseum (I refuse to call it overstock.com) or PetCo.

Wait, Merkin actually wrote that? That's actually unusual for him, to write something that stinging about the Sox.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peavey was great everything we have waited for. It has been two years of nothing and now one great start. I hope he can continue along this path but I will wait for a few more gems before feeling comfortable with him. 2 games behind K.C. and closing!

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 19, 2011 -> 06:10 AM)
I've seen some good pitching in the past, and often a pitcher has a rough spot or two even in a good performance. But Peavy looked 100% in control. There was no lack of confidence, and he was throwing the ball exceptionally well. If you believe the gun he was throwing around 95 a few times, and that made his change-up and that nasty slider all the more effective.

Now the question is can he go out next time and pitch well again? Hopefully the JFP is back.

Even if it was 2 mph fast, that means he was consistently at 91-92 and hit 93. That is still plenty fine for Jake.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Even if it was 2 mph fast, that means he was consistently at 91-92 and hit 93. That is still plenty fine for Jake.

Pitch F/X has JFP's fastball topping out at 93.7 last night, with the range being 91-93 (check both the 2 seamer and the 4 seamer in that data).

Pitch F/X has JFP's fastball topping out at 93.7 last night, with the range being 91-93 (check both the 2 seamer and the 4 seamer in that data).

That last 92-93 MPH 2 seamer to blow away Choo (Who has been a left handed thorn in our side) was especially cool.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)

Like I said, if he has that kind of pitch speed, he will be fine. He just can't top out at 90 and sit 87-88 because then there is no difference between that and his off-speed stuff.

I was lucky enough to be at the game last night and I've gotta say that that was the best pitching performance I've ever been witness to. Peavy looked phenomenal. I did notice that he was pitching from the first base side of the pitching rubber, about as far that way as he can go. Does anyone know if this is a recent adjustment or has he done this for a while?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
When did Jake Peavy have elbow problems?

There you go being all literal again. I was responding to Milk. I think he just meant that JP can go down at any moment and to be forever skeptical. Which I kinda agree with. But Peavy was great last night. I'm going to be positive for now.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
I was lucky enough to be at the game last night and I've gotta say that that was the best pitching performance I've ever been witness to. Peavy looked phenomenal. I did notice that he was pitching from the first base side of the pitching rubber, about as far that way as he can go. Does anyone know if this is a recent adjustment or has he done this for a while?

I wonder if it had something to do with most of the Indians players being left handed against Peavy?

I saw what I could at halftime and during commercial breaks. Jake was routinely sitting around 93-95 (juiced gun?). I pray to everything that he can keep that velocity up and stay healthy. He looked downright filthy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
There you go being all literal again. I was responding to Milk. I think he just meant that JP can go down at any moment and to be forever skeptical. Which I kinda agree with. But Peavy was great last night. I'm going to be positive for now.

The chances of Peavy having his elbow blow out is no more or less than any other pitcher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
The chances of Peavy having his elbow blow out is no more or less than any other pitcher.

I get that. Like I said, I was responding to milk. An injury is an injury. He just mentioned elbow, so I did. So it's his fault.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)

The guy has proven to be prone to injury, so I'd say his chances of blowing out his elbow are higher than most guys.

And like J4L said, I was just using the elbow as an example.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
The guy has proven to be prone to injury, so I'd say his chances of blowing out his elbow are higher than most guys.

And like J4L said, I was just using the elbow as an example.

He hurt his ankle running the bases (right?) and missed time because he took a liner off the forearm. It's not as if he's had chronic elbow/shoulder problems to my knowledge. Yes, he's been injury prone but for the most part it's been freak injuries unrelated to each other.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
He hurt his ankle running the bases (right?) and missed time because he took a liner off the forearm. It's not as if he's had chronic elbow/shoulder problems to my knowledge. Yes, he's been injury prone but for the most part it's been freak injuries unrelated to each other.

Like Mark Prior?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Not really. His was mostly chronic arm problems I thought. Plus there's the whole steroids rumor. Not a terrible comp but not the same thing IMO

Prior's problem was the fact that his body broke down after he couldn't take roids any longer.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
I'll take it. If his elbow pops then so be it. For now, I'll be content.

Seriously, wtf is this? You both have passed the point of being the "realistic" fans and entered the zone of actually cheering against good things happening to this team. Go ahead and do that, but I can't wait to see all the s*** you continue to catch for it.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 19, 2011 -> 06:57 AM)
So inspirational that it inspired our offense to score zero runs in the final eight innings ...

They didn't score in that final 8th inning because they didn't need to.

I'm hoping it sparks something. Being .500 at the All-Star Break would be nice. I actually could see them a few games over .500, but I like setting expectations low.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
Seriously, wtf is this? You both have passed the point of being the "realistic" fans and entered the zone of actually cheering against good things happening to this team. Go ahead and do that, but I can't wait to see all the s*** you continue to catch for it.

Do you need a valium? I'll say this ONE more time. I was responding to milk. I assumed he was quite pleased with Peavy's performance. As was I, though I didn't see it. But you're always going to be worried about him getting hurt again. I clearly said in so many words I wasn't going to worry about that right now and be positive.

Edit: I see I used the word content. I guess that can be construed as still being negative. Which I wasn't trying to do. I'm very pleased with Jake right now.

Edited by Jordan4life