Sox to recognize two studs in Dodger series

greg775

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Garland spent a long time in Chicago and was a quality pitcher with the White Sox and helped us gain a World Series trophy. Uribe made two of the best plays in the 9th inning of the final game of the world series, including making the final out. They deserve to be recognized. I'd imagine Garland was in Chicago before (with the angels) but this might be Uribe's first time back.

The team shows their respect for two quality former players. There is nothing wrong with that. As long as we beat the Dodgers everyone should be happy-except the Dodgers

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle have pretty similar stat lines from 2005-2011. Garland has made $48.35 million in this time, Buehrle has made $79.5 million (both including 2011 season). It's impressive what staying with one organization can do for your paycheck.

I'll be there tonight to cheer for the great Juan Uribe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
Pump out extra CO2 so that eventually the planet locks itself into a permanent El Nino state and we stop getting La Nina springs like this one?

Sunday April 10th: 23K fans, Temp was 83 degrees

Monday April 11th: 20K fans, Temp was 67 degrees

Wednesday April 13th: 16K fans, Temp was 68 degrees

The Sox were even above .500 during this stretch. So no excuses that we were playing terribly.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 20, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle have pretty similar stat lines from 2005-2011. Garland has made $48.35 million in this time, Buehrle has made $79.5 million (both including 2011 season). It's impressive what staying with one organization can do for your paycheck.

I'll be there tonight to cheer for the great Juan Uribe.

I don't if Buehrle has been $30 million better, but I think his stat line has definitely been better than Garland's has been. Also consider Garland has spent half that time in the NL West, including one season in Petco Park.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
The more I think about it, the more I am warming up to the idea. And they did play key roles on the team. I fully expected a very nice reception from the fans.

There is not a player on that team I won't give a standing ovation to if given the chance.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Garland spent a long time in Chicago and was a quality pitcher with the White Sox and helped us gain a World Series trophy. Uribe made two of the best plays in the 9th inning of the final game of the world series, including making the final out. They deserve to be recognized. I'd imagine Garland was in Chicago before (with the angels) but this might be Uribe's first time back.

Garland has exactly 1 start against the White Sox and it was in Anaheim in 2008.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought J4L made the thread to talk about how the Sox will recognize that stud Clayton Kershaw and possibly somebody else.

Now that would have been an entertaining premise for a thread.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
When I first saw the thread title, I thought J4L made the thread to talk about how the Sox will recognize that stud Clayton Kershaw and possibly somebody else.

Now that would have been an entertaining premise for a thread.

Matt Kemp would be the other. I love that guy.

It's no big deal and kind of nice, but think about this . . .

Both guys played for the team in 2006 and 2007 plus Uribe played in 2008. So Garland probably had 30 appearances since the WS and Uribe over a hundred. They earned and received many nice ovations from the fans. It's not like they left after the WS and this is their first time ever at the Cell. We are recognizing their first appearance as an opponent.

Kind of ironic we are cheering them while booing other players from that team off the roster :lolhitting

Yeah, I'd cheer, I was always a fan of both of those guys, but an official team thing? I can take it or leave it. No big deal the organization is doing this, but it seems kind of funny.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
It's no big deal and kind of nice, but think about this . . .

Both guys played for the team in 2006 and 2007 plus Uribe played in 2008. So Garland probably had 30 appearances since the WS and Uribe over a hundred. They earned and received many nice ovations from the fans. It's not like they left after the WS and this is their first time ever at the Cell. We are recognizing their first appearance as an opponent.

Kind of ironic we are cheering them while booing other players from that team off the roster :lolhitting

Yeah, I'd cheer, I was always a fan of both of those guys, but an official team thing? I can take it or leave it. No big deal the organization is doing this, but it seems kind of funny.

It's not funny. It's stupid. Sorry to be blunt.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
How could anyone have a problem with this? It's two key parts of our World Series team who make their first trip back to the Cell since 05. I think it's great.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Duh, complaining is more fun.

Who is complaining? The closest thing to a complaint that I saw was Tex, and he already came around to the idea.

This site is ridiculous sometimes. Even when there are no complaints, people act like there are.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Who is complaining? The closest thing to a complaint that I saw was Tex, and he already came around to the idea.

This site is ridiculous sometimes. Even when there are no complaints, people act like there are.

Don't you realize? You're on ignore and they just figured you were complaining.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)

Tex and J4L. And as I said, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it so my comment is quite relevant. You're the one being ridiculous here.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Have Garland/Uribe not frequented the Cell since '05? What are they going to do? Announce their names and all 275 fans do the slow clap? Stupid.

Edit: I obviously meant since they left the Sox.

Ridiculous is right. Even the most mundane things people can't keep from finding something to b**** about it for.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Tex and J4L. And as I said, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it so my comment is quite relevant. You're the one being ridiculous here.

They're hardly complaining. It is a bit ridiculous to be celebrating these guys 6 six later, but I don't think either of those posters have said anything besides that.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
Ridiculous is right. Even the most mundane things people can't keep from finding something to b**** about it for.

You have a pretty strict definition of complaining. He just said that it's stupid, which it is because it's 6 years later and they both played on the team since the title.

I personally have no problem with it, and it seems that they don't either.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
You have a pretty strict definition of complaining. He just said that it's stupid, which it is because it's 6 years later and they both played on the team since the title.

I personally have no problem with it, and it seems that they don't either.

I don't think it's strict at all. Coming in to the thread and deriding the gesture as pointless or stupid is in a way complaining about the fact that they're doing it. If you don't want to use the word complaining, at the very least it brings unnecessary negativity into what is a pretty standard and fun topic.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
I don't think it's strict at all. Coming in to the thread and deriding the gesture as pointless or stupid is in a way complaining about the fact that they're doing it. If you don't want to use the word complaining, at the very least it brings unnecessary negativity into what is a pretty standard and fun topic.

Check out the subtitle of the thread.