Sox to recognize two studs in Dodger series

greg775

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Do the Red Sox do a special party whenever Orlando Cabrera or Pedro visit Fenway? If you want to do a team thing then I'd be cool with that. But this is dumb. I can't help it.

As long as JR is the owner, loyalty/history will be a huge deal to the organization (for better or for worse).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
How could anyone have a problem with this? It's two key parts of our World Series team who make their first trip back to the Cell since 05. I think it's great.

You do realize they played a lot of games at the Cell in 2006, 2007, and 2008? This makes it sound like it is the first time the fans have a chance to see these guys since the WS.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Do the Red Sox do a special party whenever Orlando Cabrera or Pedro visit Fenway? If you want to do a team thing then I'd be cool with that. But this is dumb. I can't help it.

The Red Sox fans sing Neil Diamond in the 7th inning, does that make you want to?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
You'll never please everybody (not a knock on either side of the argument), but if this brings in more people to the ballpark then Im all for it.

Ding ding, ding we have a winner! As a promotion it isn't as good as Elvis, pets, or mullets, but better than magnetic calendars

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
You'll never please everybody (not a knock on either side of the argument), but if this brings in more people to the ballpark then Im all for it.

Jon Garland and Juan Uribe aren't going to help draw many fans, I can pretty much guarantee that :lolhitting

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Check out the subtitle of the thread.

I actually didn't notice that. But I still don't get that mindset. These were two players who were here for several seasons and played a big part in our World Series and this is the first time they are returning since leaving the organization. I think it is a classy gesture to give the fans a chance and for the organization to acknowledge them. They did the same thing with Crede and I don't remember seeing any people chastising that (I could be wrong, just going on memory).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Jon Garland and Juan Uribe aren't going to help draw many fans, I can pretty much guarantee that :lolhitting

If it causes fans to forget 2006-today, it just might work . . .

(see I peeked) :lolhitting

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)

It won't cost them much to produce, and nostalgia works wonders for some.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 20, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't if Buehrle has been $30 million better, but I think his stat line has definitely been better than Garland's has been. Also consider Garland has spent half that time in the NL West, including one season in Petco Park.

actual stats, side by side.. They've both been good and would merit very similar pay, except one of them throws with his left arm and has stayed with the same organization.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I actually didn't notice that. But I still don't get that mindset. These were two players who were here for several seasons and played a big part in our World Series and this is the first time they are returning since leaving the organization. I think it is a classy gesture to give the fans a chance and for the organization to acknowledge them. They did the same thing with Crede and I don't remember seeing any people chastising that (I could be wrong, just going on memory).

But this point has been made. For Crede, it was the very next season that he returned. With these guys, it has been years and they both spent more time with the team after 2005.

Again, it's not like these guys are throwing a s***-fit because of this. They are just pointing out that it's kind of stupid, which I believe most people could agree it sort of is. It's coming off as a lame attempt to get people to come out and to remind them of 2005.

Like I said, I have no problem with this (and I don't think Tex or J4L do either).

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle have pretty similar stat lines from 2005-2011. Garland has made $48.35 million in this time, Buehrle has made $79.5 million (both including 2011 season). It's impressive what staying with one organization can do for your paycheck.

I'll be there tonight to cheer for the great Juan Uribe.

It's worth pointing out though that Garland has also pitched in much better pitchers parks (including Petco) and that has served to substantially improve his numbers.

Since the start of the 2006 season, in the fangraphs world, M-56 has been worth 18.5 WAR, Jon Garland has been worth 12.7.

Here's my thought on this. We hear so much about the player relations problems when the happen. They get made into some huge controversy when they happen, and spun into this idea that no one will ever want to play here. The reality is this is just an example of the organization going out of its way to recognize successful former-employees. I think it is a great idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Here's my thought on this. We hear so much about the player relations problems when the happen. They get made into some huge controversy when they happen, and spun into this idea that no one will ever want to play here. The reality is this is just an example of the organization going out of its way to recognize successful former-employees. I think it is a great idea.

I get it but how many people have bought Uribe jerseys over the years? He was nowhere near being a fan favorite. It just seems like doing something just for the sake of doing it.

Disclaimer: I love Uribe.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I get it but how many people have bought Uribe jerseys over the years? He was nowhere near being a fan favorite. It just seems like doing something just for the sake of doing it.

Disclaimer: I love Uribe.

To me it doesn't matter how many people bought his jerseys. It is a good thing for the Sox to be doing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
But this point has been made. For Crede, it was the very next season that he returned. With these guys, it has been years and they both spent more time with the team after 2005.

Again, it's not like these guys are throwing a s***-fit because of this. They are just pointing out that it's kind of stupid, which I believe most people could agree it sort of is. It's coming off as a lame attempt to get people to come out and to remind them of 2005.

Like I said, I have no problem with this (and I don't think Tex or J4L do either).

Crede was still with the Sox in 06, 07 and 08. He just happened to go to a division rival that they play every year. They honored him when he made his first start as an opposing player.

This is the first time Garland will make a start at US Cellular field as an opposing player. Same with Uribe.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Yeah really. I doubt he'd crack the top 5 of fan favorites for the 2005 team. Not sure he'd crack the top 10.

Hmm top 5 fan favorites of 05: Buehrle, Konerko, Crede, Rowand, Jenks maybe? Be an interesting topic.